Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2011, 13:33   #61

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: New West Marine Recall on Rocna Anchors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
In the hurry to denigrate ROCNA, if one reads the original notice from WEST Marine, very few models, in not many usual sizes, were objects of the recall. Please, folks, read before blathering. It might help to foster more considerate discussions.

The card I got from WM shows the 4,6,10,15,20,25,33,55,70 and 110 kg Rocnas. Also two Fisherman's 9 & 13 lbs.

That seems to about cover them.

I like the anchor - a lot.

I don't care much for not knowing if mine is "good" or "bad".

What I would like is for them to send WM a known "good" one and I will trade it out.
Old 18-08-2011, 13:49   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
The card I got from WM shows the 4,6,10,15,20,25,33,55,70 and 110 kg Rocnas. Also two Fisherman's 9 & 13 lbs.

What I would like is for them to send WM a known "good" one and I will trade it out.
Good luck! The last known good ones were made in Canada and NZ. They don't make them there any longer, so you would have to look at the used market.
Old 18-08-2011, 13:57   #63

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Good luck! The last known good ones were made in Canada and NZ. They don't make them there any longer, so you would have to look at the used market.

But Rocna says it was only the first quarter of 2010 manufacture.

I know who you believe.

But how to find out really?

I don't think all of the China production is "bad".
Old 18-08-2011, 18:35   #64

Quote:
But Rocna says it was only the first quarter of 2010 manufacture.

I know who you believe.

But how to find out really?

I don't think all of the China production is "bad".

Therapy,

The first quarter of 2010 was when the metal was stepped UP in strength . It was still not, nor has it been since, up to the design and certification strength.

How do I know this?....Because I increased it from the lower grade that was used since late 2008.

If you do not believe me then I will send you documented proof by PM of them knowingly ordering the weaker grade steel. There was no mistake by a supplier, it was a deliberate action by ordering that grade.

You can believe the PR hype from them if you want but its about time more of the truth emerged and evryone opened their eyes and realised what they are not being told my the supplier.

If it was restricted to a small batch in early 2010 why are there photos online of bendy ones predating this period? Why were bent ones replaced prior to 2010? Why have the current (2011) tests that have been done independantely revealed a weaker grade than that promoted on the website and in all other published figures? Why change the information on the website only AFTER being caught out lying?

If WM really believed that there was not a problem would they offer the refund they are? It is as obvious as the sun rising in the morning and setting in the evening.
Old 18-08-2011, 21:40   #65

Soif what Rocna is saying in many of their replies, is that only asmall batch in 2010 were manufactured out of faulty material is correct,then why is my Rocna that I purchased in April 2011 also bent beyondrepair, able to have done so under normal anchoring conditions, I intend tohave this anchor tested as I am sure it is a Chinese manufactured anchor withthe name cast in the underside. From everything I have read in many magazinesand forums I do not believe that these people can be trusted and Peter Smithmust be absolutely disgusted. The material might be as specified but I thinkthat is only because Rina have told them to change it on their site and specs,I would bet my right eye it is not what the NZ Made anchors were made outof. The only place I will be returning my Rocna anchor to is throughtheir front window if I ever make it to New Zealand and I will also be buying aManson.
Michael.J.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 11:55   #66

Boat: a sailing boat

UFB, I went to the link, and there someone says that a rusting device made of locally available material is a good thing ! Buhahahaha!!!!
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 17:29   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.J.Smith View Post
Soif what Rocna is saying in many of their replies, is that only asmall batch in 2010 were manufactured out of faulty material is correct,then why is my Rocna that I purchased in April 2011 also bent beyondrepair, able to have done so under normal anchoring conditions, I intend tohave this anchor tested as I am sure it is a Chinese manufactured anchor withthe name cast in the underside. From everything I have read in many magazinesand forums I do not believe that these people can be trusted and Peter Smithmust be absolutely disgusted. The material might be as specified but I thinkthat is only because Rina have told them to change it on their site and specs,I would bet my right eye it is not what the NZ Made anchors were made outof. The only place I will be returning my Rocna anchor to is throughtheir front window if I ever make it to New Zealand and I will also be buying aManson.
Fairly obvious isn't it Michael, its below standard still, always has been, always will be.

Don't rely on rina to tell them to change it, the only ones who will do anything about changing it are themselves.

They did not change the specs on the site, they just removed reference to the specs that previously were well publicised as being the best. Their problem now of course is that the previous pages and claims are still to be found by using google search and viewing cached copies of old pages.
Try it, you might be astounded with what you may find, especially some of the wild claims by the CEO.

And finally, a refund will hurt more than a broken window but more importantly you did not loose your vessel or worse.
Old 22-08-2011, 17:49   #68

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Really wish I could figger mine out. It is a fantastic anchor. Except in soft mud/grass. But my huge danforth storm anchor did the same thing. Same place, same time, same wind. Sucked for a while that day.
Therapy, you can inexpensively purchase hardness files that will cut metal softer than the particular hardness of the file. We have to assume that Peter Smith knew what he was talking about when he stated that 800 mPA steel in the shank was essential. So, if you purchased or borrowed a hardness file in the less than 700 mPA range you can quickly determine an upper limit to what is used.

But why bother? If Smith is correct, then 800 mPA is essential and Rocna has made it clear that they don't use 800 mPA steel anymore. Their claim that their recent test of the shank proved that it was 6 times stronger than RINA SHHP standards doesn't pass the sniff test. That was in a straight pull on a bench which has nothing to do an anchor's holding power. In addition, straight pull strength is not how Rocna's have failed. They fail when the substandard steel used in the shank bends with a side load.

Send it back and get a product made by people you can trust. The Manson will fit wherever the Rocna fit, as far as I know.
Old 22-08-2011, 18:00   #69
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:

Michael,

A picture is worth a thousand words!!! Please post one for us...
Old 22-08-2011, 22:32   #70

Quote:

They will not be able to send you a good one as all of the anchors made from 2009 through to the eight month of 2011 have and are still being made in china and yes they are all made from the same poor quality material. The only way to get a good one is to have it made in New Zealand as per the NZ Manufacturing specs. If you or anybody else have purchased an anchor in this period then they are all " Bad " Rocna and or Holdfast need to be held accountable as lives are at stake.
Michael.J.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 03:51   #71
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
They will not be able to send you a good one as all of the anchors made from 2009 through to the eight month of 2011 have and are still being made in china and yes they are all made from the same poor quality material. The only way to get a good one is to have it made in New Zealand as per the NZ Manufacturing specs. If you or anybody else have purchased an anchor in this period then they are all " Bad " Rocna and or Holdfast need to be held accountable as lives are at stake.
We understand all that as it has been rehashed here and elsewhere over and over.

Can you PLEASE give us some specifics on your anchor bending situation?

1- Bottom type?
2- Boat weight?
3- Wind speed? Peak and nominal?
4- Stuck on a coral head or in rocks?
5- A PICTURE?
6- Your rode type?
7- Location when this happened?

So far there has been one photo of a bent Rocna, that's it. Please add to the validity & seriousness of this issue with an actual photo of your bent anchor, with the specifics of the incident, so the claims of "our anchors are fit for purpose" can be seen by any potential Rocna buyers with the evidence that goes to show they may not be....
Old 23-08-2011, 11:56   #72

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
So far there has been one photo of a bent Rocna, that's it.
Out of curiosity I made a google picture search "bent rocna" and there's some more..
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 12:07   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Out of curiosity I made a google picture search "bent rocna" and there's some more..
More then two. More then three.

Rocna acknowledged previously to five, and we know there are more.
Old 23-08-2011, 12:50   #74

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Boy I didn't know I opened up a can of worms on this recall.
Old 23-08-2011, 12:53   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
Boy I didn't know I opened up a can of worms on this recall.
I wouldnt loose any sleep over it, it was a festering can waiting to explode anyway.

Tags
anchor, marine, recall, rocna