Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2016, 06:10   #1

New Member... just did first 7 day live-aboard trip... Anchor Questions!!

Hi Folks!

Sorry if this gets a little long, but could really use some help and your thoughts! I'm totally open to suggestions from folks that have been doing this far longer than I have!

We (Wife, 2 kids (5&7) and myself) just finished up our very first trip on our new-to-us boat (WorldCat 320EC).

This trip was great and it really was a good way to figure out what we needed and what we didn't (as well as how to fix things when not at our home dock!). Deerfield Beach, FL, across Lake O, and into Fort Myers -- we stayed in Fort Myers and Clewson, a total of 7 nights aboard the boat.
We didn't stay on the hook for this trip - however our next trip will have 3 nights on the hook! So help is needed.

First, vessel details:

2006 WorldCat 320EC with custom (read: windage and heavy) tower (pic below). Boat with gear, fuel, people, etc. is approx. 14k.

I bought a Delta 22 and I have to say, Meh... not impressed. It works when we're having lunch, but the thought of going to sleep in an unfamiliar place after running all day, I don't think I'm comfortable with that... unless you guys make a case why I should be. LOL.

You can see pictures of the anchor in the pics below (the windlass you see is no longer there and has been replaced with a Lewmar 1000 FF which works great!

So... questions.

I recently won 50% from a Mantus promo... the anchor selector on their site is telling me 35# as is a rep from Mantus. Then I have an email from Mantus from a different rep telling me that a 25# is plenty and that 35# is overkill. Thoughts on that?

Next up... can you tell if either of those will work with my current anchor roller assembly? I'd rather not change it if I don't have to...

My chain and rode is:
Rope: 300ft of 5/8" dia. 8 Plait Nylon
Chain: 25ft of 5/16" G4 High Test Chain
Shackle: 5/16" Galvanized
(From Seco South)

For our next trip we will be anchored in the Keys... we'll be spending a couple of nights in Long Key Bight and then a night at Tortugas (Just east of the Fort). (As well as docked in KW)

I'm open to using more than one anchor, etc. All thoughts welcome!

Thanks,
Pete
PetePetePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:18   #2

Re: New Member... just did first 7 day live-aboard trip... Anchor Questions!!

Should add... I've been enjoying all the threads, especially the pictures of setting anchors!!

Old 12-07-2016, 06:42   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Pete and welcome to the forum.

When you use the # I'm assuming that means pounds and not kilograms because I would use an anchor more in the kilo range of the numbers you posted, assuming also the 320 model means 32' long.

I lived on a 34' sailboat and used a 35 lb plow and wished it was 45 lbs. For your boat with all that windage, in any kind of a blow I would want an absolute minimum of 35 lbs and would personally go with 45 lbs. In anchors it is definitely bigger is better, up to a certain point of course.

Can tell you about the roller without dimensions. The little hoop over the forward end of the roller could possibly be an issue with a larger anchor but I'm thinking that part could be modified without replacing the whole thing.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:00   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetePetePete View Post
I recently won 50% from a Mantus promo... the anchor selector on their site is telling me 35# as is a rep from Mantus. Then I have an email from Mantus from a different rep telling me that a 25# is plenty and that 35# is overkill. Thoughts on that?

Ask both Mantus guys to explain the reasoning behind their recommendation. Specifically ask the 25# guy why he suggests something lighter than the "official" Mantus anchor selector. (Might be a useful reason; might not. For example, he might have assumed you're weighing anchor manually... a situation where lighter might be slightly better, for some.)

-Chris
Old 12-07-2016, 07:05   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Congrats on starting an anchor thread for your very first post.

A 35 pound Mantus is the answer. Or 45#, which might be overkill, but you will never mind that, when the wind blows. BTW 35# is NOT overkill.

You really can't buy too big an anchor.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:17   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Another vote for the "overkill" I like things like the seatbelts in my vehicles and the anchor on my boat to be stronger than the minimum requirement.
A little bigger anchor than you need is the difference in dragging or not when the bottom isn't ideal.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:18   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Consider the Mantus swivel too, especially if you can get it at 50% off.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi Pete and welcome to the forum.

When you use the # I'm assuming that means pounds and not kilograms because I would use an anchor more in the kilo range of the numbers you posted, assuming also the 320 model means 32' long.

I lived on a 34' sailboat and used a 35 lb plow and wished it was 45 lbs. For your boat with all that windage, in any kind of a blow I would want an absolute minimum of 35 lbs and would personally go with 45 lbs. In anchors it is definitely bigger is better, up to a certain point of course.

Can tell you about the roller without dimensions. The little hoop over the forward end of the roller could possibly be an issue with a larger anchor but I'm thinking that part could be modified without replacing the whole thing.
Correct, sorry, the # = lbs.
Understood on the loop on top, I can likely easy deal with that if needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Ask both Mantus guys to explain the reasoning behind their recommendation. Specifically ask the 25# guy why he suggests something lighter than the "official" Mantus anchor selector. (Might be a useful reason; might not. For example, he might have assumed you're weighing anchor manually... a situation where lighter might be slightly better, for some.)

-Chris
I sort of did... the #25 guy said to trust him, it's the right one for that boat... the other guys said he wasn't sure why the first guy said #25 was right when the selector tool clearly shows #35.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Congrats on starting an anchor thread for your very first post.

A 35 pound Mantus is the answer. Or 45#, which might be overkill, but you will never mind that, when the wind blows. BTW 35# is NOT overkill.

You really can't buy too big an anchor.
I sort of expected to get beat up by starting another anchor thread. LOL. But I searched and searched and when I got the conflicting info... I thought I should come here... that and the fact that it is becoming clear that the time we spend exploring and cruising is going to increase with this boat -- might as well cozy up here a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Another vote for the "overkill" I like things like the seatbelts in my vehicles and the anchor on my boat to be stronger than the minimum requirement.
A little bigger anchor than you need is the difference in dragging or not when the bottom isn't ideal.
And, in my experience, in the Keys, the bottom can be fickle. I think I'll do the #35.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Consider the Mantus swivel too, especially if you can get it at 50% off.
So... that's an interesting point. I was looking at the swivel... and I'm sort of thinking that aren't the fewer failure points the better mindset here? I love the idea of the swivel, but I also don't want to go nuts if I don't have to. What's your thought process for the suggestion?

Thanks for all the great replies and the warm welcomes!!

Pete
Old 12-07-2016, 07:30   #9

Hi & welcome.

You have to size your anchoring SYSTEM for the conditions you expect to encounter.

Like these:

Why NEW GEN Anchors are Better:

Anchors & TEST Results of New Generation Anchors EXCELLENT & Important

Anchor System Sizing Tables (Reply #6) & Why Swivels are a bad idea Ground Tackle & Anchor System Sizing TABLES & Swivels

Steve’s Anchoring 101

The Rocna. All 20kg of it with 100ft of chain. The rest of the world can debate all they like. When I pull into a place like Bodega Bay at midnight and the fog is so thick I can't see the jetty 50 feet away to make an entrance, I drop my hook in the rolling ocean swells with the surf crashing (Foster says it's like staying in a cheap Best Western beside the highway), and I sleep. And in the morning I have a windlass to pull the beast up and I wouldn't trade it for anything. (I also wouldn't add more chain - this works perfectly in 25 to 30 feet of water - you let all the chain out and you tie off nylon at the preferred scope and don't bother with snubbers and chain hooks and all that stuff...)

This was our best upgrade.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:32   #10

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
I sort of did... the #25 guy said to trust him, it's the right one for that boat... the other guys said he wasn't sure why the first guy said #25 was right when the selector tool clearly shows #35.

I almost never immediately trust somebody who says "Trust me..."

-Chris
Old 12-07-2016, 08:04   #11

Truly bold to start your first thread with an anchor discussion. When anchored I have never woken up in the middle of the night, with the wind up and thought to myself "I wish I had a smaller anchor" .
repsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:11   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

I always use the recommended 'storm' sized anchor. 45lb sounds about the right size for your boat. Why anyone would want to settle for a smaller anchor defies my understanding. Why would you believe you could change anchors when conditions change unexpectedly? Stick to recommended worse conditions.

Quote:
Hi Folks!

Sorry if this gets a little long, but could really use some help and your thoughts! I'm totally open to suggestions from folks that have been doing this far longer than I have!

We (Wife, 2 kids (5&7) and myself) just finished up our very first trip on our new-to-us boat (WorldCat 320EC).

This trip was great and it really was a good way to figure out what we needed and what we didn't (as well as how to fix things when not at our home dock!). Deerfield Beach, FL, across Lake O, and into Fort Myers -- we stayed in Fort Myers and Clewson, a total of 7 nights aboard the boat.
We didn't stay on the hook for this trip - however our next trip will have 3 nights on the hook! So help is needed.

First, vessel details:

2006 WorldCat 320EC with custom (read: windage and heavy) tower (pic below). Boat with gear, fuel, people, etc. is approx. 14k.

I bought a Delta 22 and I have to say, Meh... not impressed. It works when we're having lunch, but the thought of going to sleep in an unfamiliar place after running all day, I don't think I'm comfortable with that... unless you guys make a case why I should be. LOL.

You can see pictures of the anchor in the pics below (the windlass you see is no longer there and has been replaced with a Lewmar 1000 FF which works great!

So... questions.

Next up... can you tell if either of those will work with my current anchor roller assembly? I'd rather not change it if I don't have to...

My chain and rode is:
Rope: 300ft of 5/8" dia. 8 Plait Nylon
Chain: 25ft of 5/16" G4 High Test Chain
Shackle: 5/16" Galvanized
(From Seco South)

For our next trip we will be anchored in the Keys... we'll be spending a couple of nights in Long Key Bight and then a night at Tortugas (Just east of the Fort). (As well as docked in KW)

I'm open to using more than one anchor, etc. All thoughts welcome!

Thanks,
Pete
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:15   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Something has to attach the chain to the anchor, that is I believe usually the weak link.
In my opinion, I do not think with the Mantus swivel it will be the weak link, I can't imagine it breaking before the chain.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:43   #14

Boat: Outbound 46

Rule of thumb: If your neighbors at the marina aren't laughing at the size of your anchor, then its too small. We have a 33 kg Rocna on our 46' sailboat, and I wouldn't want anything less. That's with all-chain rode. The sizing guide on the Rocna website seems to give pretty good advice.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:47   #15

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

As someone who has a 33kilo Vulcan on a 40ft monohull, yes I am in the "go big or go home" camp, I would suggest that a 35lb anchor is too small and you should be looking at a 15 - 20kilo anchor (Rocna figures admittedly but Mantus I think would be similar).

I went oversize so that I could relax and get a good night sleep on the hook having dragged a couple of times with our original 16kg Delta. I worked on the theory that my bow anchor is also my storm anchor so should be sized suitably to deal with just about anything Mama Nature can throw at us. If you want to do the same then I would go bigger rather than smaller. We have a 1000w windlass which copes with the 60m of G70 chain and oversize anchor quite happily.

Hope that helps in your decisions and happy anchoring

Keiron

ps 1kilo is 2.2lbs
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, member, new member