Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2016, 14:49   #31

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: New Member... just did first 7 day live-aboard trip... Anchor Questions!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetePetePete View Post
P.S. What's the deal with anchors being taboo for the first post?

The anchor -- and almost anything to do with anchoring -- is a religious topic.

Review past anchoring threads for confirmation.

-Chris
Old 12-07-2016, 14:52   #32

Boat: Scout 30

Remember you have to add your freeboard to your scope calculation. If you're in 3' of water & it's 4' from the water to your bow sprit that's 7' so a 7-1 scope would be 49'.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 14:56   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Remember you have to add your freeboard to your scope calculation. If you're in 3' of water & it's 4' from the water to your bow sprit that's 7' so a 7-1 scope would be 49'.
Clearly I have A LOT to learn! thanks for that information. Clearly, I wouldn't need a bridle then...

Thanks! Pete
PetePetePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 14:59   #34

Buy a Rocna or Manson Supreme (copy of Rocna). You will sleep well.
bill99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 20:45   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Looking at the sizes of equipment you already have, the shackle is the weak link. So, when you upgrade your anchor, do something about that shackle, too!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 22:03   #36

Did I see someone suggest having 49 ft of rode in 3 ft of water. Sailing, we are sailing. In 3 ft of water I would have between 15 and 20 ft of rode unless the wind got up, then throw it all out and pray.
bill99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 22:45   #37

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

Hi all....there is not a lot of talk about chain in posts above. IMHO chain is just as important as the anchor weight and type. In 41 years of cruising I can boast that I have never had a rope over the bow. Just chain.

I think 25 ft of chain is grossly inadequate. I would go for a minimum of 150 ft and then maybe rope but for me...more chain.

And a heavy anchor.
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 03:59   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Looking at the sizes of equipment you already have, the shackle is the weak link. So, when you upgrade your anchor, do something about that shackle, too!
Assuming my current gear, with a Mantus 35... what size shackle you thinking?
Old 13-07-2016, 06:43   #39
Marine Service Provider

Lots of work put in to testing! Take a look.

Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 06:53   #40

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Just because you have a forecast for moderate winds doesn't mean that's what you will get in the wee hours of the morning. And do you really want to be rowing out another anchor at 0300, or shifting to a different anchorage that might be crowded when you get there.

45lb.

If you were racing that would be different, but you say you're cruising.

A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground you would never try to refloat it.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 07:22   #41

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
New Member... just did first 7 day live-aboard trip... Anchor Questions!!

Quote:
. . . . What I don't understand is that I was told to never allow the windlass to hold your anchor when on the hook, to tie it off to a cleat... fine, but what do you do when it's chain? In other words, if I'm in 4' of water and I let out 25' of chain for 6:1... where/how do I secure the chain?

A. In 4' of water with the bow roller 3' above the water you want to veer 42' rode. (4'+3')x6=7'x6=42'.

B. In general I would do 2 things.
1. Install a chain pawl with backing plates to make it at least as secure as a cleat. Chain is secured in the pawl and taken off the windlass.
2. Use a nylon snubber. Same size as your anchor line attached to the chain with an appropriate knot or one of a number of chain grabbers available. Cleat the snubber off with at least 10' of line between the cleat and chain attachment. Once that's secure let out more chain so it hangs way down. This is important, in a big blow the snubber can stretch up to 50% or more of its length so the chain really needs to hang down. The point of the stretchy snubber is to reduce shock loading which you would get with a pure chain rode. If the anchor is well set shock loading would probably not break the chain but rip the chain stopper out of the deck. Functionally the same problem as the chain breaking but worse because now you have a hole in the deck water will stream in through. If the anchor is not well set the shock loading may jerk the anchor out which is not quite as bad as the chain breaking because it MIGHT reset before you hit the leeward shore. Well you ask, why not just go with an all nylon rode? Because it doesn't resist chafe nearly as well as chain. If you could always see what the bottom looks like and there was nothing to chafe on sure but you can't normally see the bottom.
If you normally anchor with 10' of snubber between cleat and attachment to rode then make the snubber 30' long. During a big blow the snubber will wear and chafe a little at the cleat and now roller. Every several hours you can let out a little more snubber to spread that wear along the length of the snubber and the damage doesn't build up at one place to the point it breaks. Don't forget to let out more chain too when you let out the snubber or you will start shock loading the chain.

A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground you would never try to refloat it.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 07:33   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You need some give in the system to absorb shock loads, all chain tied off to the boat, the only give is the anchor drags or something on the boat breaks, a good length of stretchy line will absorb and dissipate the shock loads, you can feel it in the boat, nothing to give and the boat jerks with the odd big wave.

I use this, which also just happens to be a Mantus product, works well for me.

http://www.mantusanchors.com/wp-cont...1-551x1024.png
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 07:39   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade Anchor View Post
Lots of work put in to testing! Take a look.

Interesting video! Not sure about selecting based on the way it "Looks" LOL. But still offered up some really good information. I agree on the "beefy" look to the Mantus... and the weight issue has me sort of wondering, but even in that video, he liked the anchor.

Congrats to your company, however (Spade) -- he did pick you.
Old 13-07-2016, 08:50   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
P.S. What's the deal with anchors being taboo for the first post?
As noted, anchors are like religion or politics. Asking which anchor is best is like asking a mixed group of Ford and Chevy fans who makes the best pickup truck. You will never get a consensus and always get an argument.

Quote:
What I don't understand is that I was told to never allow the windlass to hold your anchor when on the hook, to tie it off to a cleat... :
The windlass is designed for a steady pull to lift the anchor, not to hold the boat especially if the wind starts blowing hard, waves and surges, etc. That can put a big strain on the gears in the windlass and very likely break something.

Quote:
I have 30' of chain, and a Lewmar 1000 FF. I'm reading a lot of people like to use chain only.
Chain only is nice for several reasons. It's strong, chafe resistant, the weight adds to the holding power of the system. One of the best reasons, with a windlass you just press the button and wind in the chain, no fuss, no muss.

Quote:
but what do you do when it's chain? In other words, if I'm in 4' of water and I let out 25' of chain for 6:1... where/how do I secure the chain?
Someone already pointed out the issue with calculating scope. There are several options for securing the chain, most prefer using a moderate length of line to make a snubber. The snubber does several things. It takes the strain off the windlass, allows you to use a regular cleat to attach the anchor, and works like a shock absorber or bungee cord to reduce jerking on the line if you get waves or gusty winds. In calm to moderate conditions I use a fairly small line to make the snubber which flexs more and makes a better shock absorber. If it blows harder you can use a larger line or add a second backup snubber in case the first goes.

Some attach the snubber to the chain with a chain hook or similar device, others tie the snubber. Tieing the line you can use anything handy, don't have to keep track of the snubber, change line sizes and if you use the right know, it won't come off which happens with some types of chain hooks.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 16:09   #45

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprice View Post
I think 25 ft of chain is grossly inadequate. I would go for a minimum of 150 ft and then maybe rope but for me...more chain.

And a heavy anchor.

You do realize that the OP owns a 32' Motorboat (Cat hull) that weights about 8,000 lbs?

I think the boat would be way out of balance with 300 lbs of chain and anchor in the bow? Not to mention the chain locker probably isn't that big....

2006 World Cat 320 EC

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, member, new member