Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 22:41   #106

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
I contacted Ned at Mansons who advised that the Boss would fit in the bow roller set up of Supreme of same weight.
Old 06-06-2012, 23:56   #107

Re: New Anchor - Manson Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Wow... If I see your boat in an anchorage, I will not hesitate to drop anchor behind you. No chance you're dragging on me in the night!
Why bother anchoring ? you could raft up half a dozen boats on that and party away and still feel safe....
Old 14-06-2012, 20:29   #108

Boat: 74 Westsail 32'
Unintentional Stress Test-New Anchor - Manson Boss 60lbs

We set out on our sail from New Orleans to Orange Beach Saturday June 9th, and Monday June 11th we were hit with a storm producing winds of 50knots from the North, and were were anchored with our new 60 lbs Manson Boss anchor on a Lee shore off Dauphine Island (the winds were predicted to come out of the West and we hadn't gotten notification of this north storm that came out of nowhere).

We were 15 feet from the shallows where we would have dragged and run aground.

For 2 hours this North wind beat the heck out of our Westsail 32, hobby horsing like you wouldn't believe and we stayed put. Our Sampson Post have indentions from our anchor rode squeezing them.

I am now super happy and trusting in our anchor. I'm sure Tate will have more technical details to share when he gets around to it.

You can read the full details here if you would like:
Sundowner's unintentional Manson Boss Anchor Stress Test 6-11-12

https://sundownersailsagain.com
Old 14-06-2012, 20:51   #109

Boat: Cal 2-27

This is great news. I was on west marine website jsut a minute ago. They just put the Boss on the site. Figured I would come back to the forum to make final decision. Was thinking about the boss since I have known about it. Then looked at prices. 27 foot cal and I'm going to put the 35 pound on there. 500 bucks. The supreme is like 400 bucks. I almost chinced out and went the way of 100 dollars cheaper....then i added up cost thus far on things bought for boat.

boat purchase.....3k
total spent to date 8,833

still going to buy
still want to buy cushions exterior..700
interior...not priced yet
tiller...ordering tonight..around 100 dollars
anchor..500 dollars
chain...?

bottom line is that in the grand scheme, 100 dollars is nothing. The first post I found on here was your post bumped back to the top. This just reaffirmed my thoughts. Im going back to the west site now.

Thanks for posting your news.
Old 14-06-2012, 20:51   #110

Boat: Cal 2-27

Forgot to ask. What size and length of chain do you have on that awesome anchor?
Old 18-06-2012, 20:33   #111

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

gotta admit...it looks like an intentional radical design to deceivingly combat the loosing battle against the ROCNA.
Old 19-06-2012, 10:26   #112

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
gotta admit...it looks like an intentional radical design to deceivingly combat the loosing battle against the ROCNA.
LOL. Wow. Losing the battle. Where have you been for the last 6 months? Anybody who googles rocna anchors right now will run away screaming (I have). They used to be great. They aren't anymore.

In my neck of the woods, the only affordable alternative to Rocna is Manson. They own the market here right now for new generation anchors. Add to that the fact that they have now introduced an anchor without a hoop that will actually fit on my boat (through the bowsprit), and I really have no choice but the Boss.
Old 19-06-2012, 10:40   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
Forgot to ask. What size and length of chain do you have on that awesome anchor?

Right now its 3/8" BBB chain and 5/8" 3 strand nylon, but we're probably going to go to 5/16" G4 chain soon.

We carry 300ft of chain and 300ft of nylon rode.
Old 19-06-2012, 12:03   #114

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
LOL. Wow. Losing the battle. Where have you been for the last 6 months? Anybody who googles rocna anchors right now will run away screaming (I have). They used to be great. They aren't anymore.

In my neck of the woods, the only affordable alternative to Rocna is Manson. They own the market here right now for new generation anchors. Add to that the fact that they have now introduced an anchor without a hoop that will actually fit on my boat (through the bowsprit), and I really have no choice but the Boss.
Yes, I guess I have been very busy for about 6 months.
Interesting.
Closed Thread

Tags
anchor