Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2016, 06:51   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 35, Corroboree
Need replacement foot switch

I have a Nilsson H700 anchor windlass operated by a foot switch. The foot switch does not work and is probably badly corroded inside. I can order a replacement foot switch from Nilsson in New Zealand, but that will take longer, and I was wondering if a Maxwell foot switch, which I can get quickly from Defender, would be a suitable replacement. Has anyone done that--will the Maxwell foot switch fit in the same deck hole?

Thanks,
Eric
ewsponberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:24   #2

Re: Need replacement foot switch

Is it definitely the switch at fault? Connections or solenoid contacts are often the problem.

With the switch removed you can confirm faulty or not and you might be able to clean the contacts so it works until its replacement arrives.

Also you can measure its critical dimensions and ask Defender to do the same.

Either way I'd keep it disconnected at the breaker/pull the fuse for safety until it's fixed.

edit: Oops, should have spotted you're a professional.
Sorry for posting the obvious.
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:50   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Often you can go to a manufacturers website and download the install manual, usually there are templates that give exact dimensions.
I bet you can find the drawing for a Maxwell foot switch
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 13:29   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemack View Post
Is it definitely the switch at fault? Connections or solenoid contacts are often the problem.

With the switch removed you can confirm faulty or not and you might be able to clean the contacts so it works until its replacement arrives.

Also you can measure its critical dimensions and ask Defender to do the same.

Either way I'd keep it disconnected at the breaker/pull the fuse for safety until it's fixed.

edit: Oops, should have spotted you're a professional.
Sorry for posting the obvious.
Thanks, Uncle Mack. I appreciate your knowledge. It's been 30 years since I owned a boat (I'm kind of like the cobbler whose children are barefoot), so I am coming up to speed on a lot of technical stuff really fast. Thanks for your input. We did a test by shorting the poles on the switch and saw that the winch started to turn. Later, today, we discovered that the wiring from the switch to the solenoid is pretty shot and the switch and the wiring need to be replaced. I am in touch with the guy I know at Maxwell who thinks the Maxwell switch will be a suitable replacement.

Eric
Old 08-02-2016, 13:30   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Often you can go to a manufacturers website and download the install manual, usually there are templates that give exact dimensions.
I bet you can find the drawing for a Maxwell foot switch
Thanks, A64, That's a good point, I'll try that. Eric
Old 09-02-2016, 15:19   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewsponberg View Post
I have a Nilsson H700 anchor windlass operated by a foot switch. The foot switch does not work and is probably badly corroded inside. I can order a replacement foot switch from Nilsson in New Zealand, but that will take longer, and I was wondering if a Maxwell foot switch, which I can get quickly from Defender, would be a suitable replacement. Has anyone done that--will the Maxwell foot switch fit in the same deck hole?

Thanks,
Eric
My understanding of these foot switches (I have one) is that they operate a relay to engage the windlass. If this is so for you, then any switch should work. If the switch is a direct connect then it needs to have an amp rating sufficient to run the motor.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 08:29   #7
Marine Service Provider

Re: Need replacement foot switch--UPDATE

I contacted Nilsson in New Zealand and Maxwell's representative here in the US and decided on getting a new Maxwell foot switch which looks to be a near exact fit to the old Nilsson switch. Maxwell also said to get rid of the old Maxwell micro-electronic controller because it is obsolete. Their new controller is a solenoid type which is supposed to be better. I was also told to incorporate a new 135-Amp circuit breaker in the circuit near the batteries. So I have ordered all those parts and they are being shipped by FedEx from New Zealand and they should be here in a week or so.

Eric
Old 16-02-2016, 23:18   #8

Think that's the Kiwi one and they stock them on the east coast. Electrical Switchgear Detail - Heavy-Duty Deck Footswitch
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men