Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2018, 11:17   #16

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft
Re: need help with Lewmar windlass

Hey Ben ! All noted and much appreciated, Regards, Bob
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 18:46   #17

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by benkay View Post
They’ll say as I did above. I’m an ex-employee at HQ in UK, and wrote the manual for this windlass [emoji23]
If I may be so bold I'd also like to ask you a question about my V1 windlass. I'm wondering why the fall safe lever & manual recovery pawl are necessary. Would I risk damaging the windlass if I removed them?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 21:59   #18

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
is kind of awkward,seems to me if indeed with the chain on the gypsy cannot close will need to find a way to minimize the entry of water,as is now is a 2 inches or more of open deck on the bow open to not only rain but also green water,am really surprised.

I made a canvass cover for mine. If I go offshore or in a storm I can disconnect the chain and plug the hawsehole from underneath with a 3" plumbers test plug. I wish someone would answer my question .Why my clutch gets so tight on my profish 1000. It can't be right.
JD-MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:39   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-MDR View Post
I made a canvass cover for mine. If I go offshore or in a storm I can disconnect the chain and plug the hawsehole from underneath with a 3" plumbers test plug. I wish someone would answer my question .Why my clutch gets so tight on my profish 1000. It can't be right.

Check that the little block with the two opposing ramps on (that act on the bronze plunger button on the clutch cap) is screwed to the main chassis securely and is not bent in any way.

When it’s so tight; does the clutch so tight that the windlass stalls trying to undo the clutch itself??
benkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:48   #20

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
If I may be so bold I'd also like to ask you a question about my V1 windlass. I'm wondering why the fall safe lever & manual recovery pawl are necessary. Would I risk damaging the windlass if I removed them?
Thanks to benkay for the PM.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 13:54   #21

Quote:
Check that the little block with the two opposing ramps on (that act on the bronze plunger button on the clutch cap) is screwed to the main chassis securely and is not bent in any way.

When it’s so tight; does the clutch so tight that the windlass stalls trying to undo the clutch itself??
Not sure I understand. When I use a breaker bar to loosen the clutch the motor turns. I will go down to boat tomorrow and put a breaker bar on both sides of the shaft. I had this same windlass on my previous boat and the same problem. I will try to take the clutch cap off and check for the block you mentioned. Thank You
Old 02-11-2018, 13:56   #22

Quote:
Not sure I understand. When I use a breaker bar to loosen the clutch the motor turns. I will go down to boat tomorrow and put a breaker bar on both sides of the shaft. I had this same windlass on my previous boat and the same problem. I will try to take the clutch cap off and check for the block you mentioned. Thank You

The Pro-Fish model tightens and loosens the clutch itself to allow for the anchor to free-fall to the sea bed when you want to set anchor.

If you have to use a wrench to slacken and tighten, Are you sure you have a Pro-Fish and not a standard Pro-Series?
Old 02-11-2018, 14:30   #23

My reciept says Lewmar profish 1000 freefall windlass LEW6656411108-102. I better read the manuel better. I thought I was supposed to use the wrench included to loosen the clutch
Old 02-11-2018, 14:33   #24

That’s the part number for a pro fish yes

Does the clutch nut have image of two fish (marlins from memory) cast into it?
Old 02-11-2018, 14:39   #25

yes I have the marlins. I'm sure its the profish. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Old 02-11-2018, 14:47   #26

Time to read manual I think.

You should be able to see a spring loaded bronze pin around the edge of the clutch cover (the bit with the marlins on).

If you can’t see the bronze pin, then pull out the silver knob on the face of the clutch cover....this should release the pin and allow it to spring out to its deployed position.

Now pressing the down button (rode out) for around 2 seconds should release the clutch nut and allow the anchor to fall under gravity.

Pressing the up button for a second or two should tighten the clutch but back up once you’ve paid out enough scope.

To retrieve, just hold down the up button.

To drop anchor again, just hold down for 2 seconds or so.

Repeat ad infinitum....unless something has broken you shouldn’t need to touch your clutch with a wrench.

I suspect the pin has been pushed in and Locked in with the chrome plunger,putting it in manual clutch mode.

.....or the pin has been damaged somehow and sheared off.
Old 02-11-2018, 14:48   #27

I just found a good thread on Lewmar profish clutch lockup problems. It seems like others are having the same problem.
Old 04-11-2018, 17:45   #28

Quote:
Time to read manual I think.

You should be able to see a spring loaded bronze pin around the edge of the clutch cover (the bit with the marlins on).

If you can’t see the bronze pin, then pull out the silver knob on the face of the clutch cover....this should release the pin and allow it to spring out to its deployed position.

Now pressing the down button (rode out) for around 2 seconds should release the clutch nut and allow the anchor to fall under gravity.

Pressing the up button for a second or two should tighten the clutch but back up once you’ve paid out enough scope.

To retrieve, just hold down the up button.

To drop anchor again, just hold down for 2 seconds or so.

Repeat ad infinitum....unless something has broken you shouldn’t need to touch your clutch with a wrench.

I suspect the pin has been pushed in and Locked in with the chrome plunger,putting it in manual clutch mode.

.....or the pin has been damaged somehow and sheared off.

. So thats how it works. I went down and tried it .I got it now. Thank you very much
Old 06-11-2018, 12:34   #29

I think I know what I was doing wrong. I was locking the plunger in and releasing the clutch with the wrench then tightening the clutch cap as a break. That must be what caused the clutch to get so tight. . Now I have it working perfectly thanks to benkay
Old 06-11-2018, 12:35   #30

Quote:
I think I know what I was doing wrong. I was locking the plunger in and releasing the clutch with the wrench then tightening the clutch cap as a break. That must be what caused the clutch to get so tight. . Now I have it working perfectly thanks to Ben

Good to hear. Glad you’ve got it sorted.

Tags
lewmar, wind, windlass