Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2019, 09:15   #1

Need help for Chain size and type

Hi Guys,

I have a Hunter 430 1996 and my windlass is Simpson Lawrence, but i can't find a model type or number anywhere. I'm trying to see what type of chain and size i would need. The one i have one is scrap, I'm taking measurements and seems like it is 5/8 size but then i don't know the type.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3352.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	204850  
miyva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:51   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Need help for Chain size and type

Here's a site with chain measurements for marine windlass chain.

https://www.e-rigging.com/1-4-Triden...Windlass-Chain

That said, I had to reverse the process - find the chain that fit. 5/8" is honking big chain, leading me to question your estimation, even for that size boat. One of the dealers on the internet will send you a foot of anything you want for $10; I made a guess and then got the sample before ordering - and hit it right the first time.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:04   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

That looks like a SL "Anchorman" windlass. You can get the manual here which may help you identify the gypsy options.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:08   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Look for a number stamped on the gypsy. You may have to remove it and clean it to see the number.
See https://www.p2marine.com/simpson-law...identification
Old 11-12-2019, 10:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Here's a site with chain measurements for marine windlass chain.

https://www.e-rigging.com/1-4-Triden...Windlass-Chain

That said, I had to reverse the process - find the chain that fit. 5/8" is honking big chain, leading me to question your estimation, even for that size boat. One of the dealers on the internet will send you a foot of anything you want for $10; I made a guess and then got the sample before ordering - and hit it right the first time.

The Chain is 3/8 sorry my bad.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:21   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I have a SL windlass in my 42 Pearson and there is a number stamped on the inside of the gipsy close to the rim.

SL codes for older models where generally two or three numbers sometimes preceded by letter. I have two gypsies, one labeled S60 the other 161. The important bit is the number in the middle. For your gypsy will be a 6 or 7. However, even having the proper code for the gypsy may be useless. The manual for my SL lists 15-20 difference sizes and styles of chain (SAE and metric) for the 6 series gypsies, most of them completely wrong.

My 6 series works only with 3/8"BBB and 5/16" G4 (aka HT) chain even though the manual says it will take 3/8" HT (NO), proof coil (NO) and several others.

Best thing to do is buy a short piece of chain and test it. If the current, trashed chain fits then verify exactly what it is. Remember that all 3/8" is not the same. The critical spec for a windlass is the chain link or links per foot, not the diameter of the metal used to make the links.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:14   #7
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyva View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a Hunter 430 1996 and my windlass is Simpson Lawrence, but i can't find a model type or number anywhere. I'm trying to see what type of chain and size i would need. The one i have one is scrap, I'm taking measurements and seems like it is 5/8 size but then i don't know the type.
There is more to chain than just the size. My new-to-me boat came with a manual windlass with brand new chain. I always had trouble with the windlass until I removed the gypsy and took it to a store. I found out the previous owner had purchased proof coil 3/8" chain instead of the required 3/8" BBB chain the gypsy was designed for. There are different grades of chain as well to consider.

The surest way is to remove the gypsy and take it with you when you go to buy chain, that is what I did and strongly recommend.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:56   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

Excellent advice fellow Forumers!

Two additional thoughts: Maxwell has a comprehensive list of chain:gypsy combinations on their site which is just incredibly good information about chain in general. Yes, I know you have a different windlass, but check out the Maxwell page and then download the PDF information.

Second, chain is (generally) marked with it's type.
BBB = 3B
Proof Coil = nuthin'
Grade 40/43 = G4
Grade 70 = G7

And so forth. If you have a decently clean link of chain, you may be able to find one of these stamped labels in the steel, and can at least accurately identify the grade. Of post what you do determine and let one of the forumers help decode it.

A calipers that can measure inside dimensions is your best friend. Even a plastic calipers that measures down to 0.01" should be able to identify the chain type as well. Inside measurements are generally prefered to outside measurements.

Cheers

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:46   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
There is more to chain than just the size. My new-to-me boat came with a manual windlass with brand new chain. I always had trouble with the windlass until I removed the gypsy and took it to a store. I found out the previous owner had purchased proof coil 3/8" chain instead of the required 3/8" BBB chain the gypsy was designed for. There are different grades of chain as well to consider.
Absolutely. When I wanted to buy new chain I spent hours researching the options, including phone calls to a couple of chain manufacturers and SL. Learned that all 3/8" chain is not created equal and in general only one type will work in a windlass designed for 3/8" chain. So proof is not the same as BBB is not the same as HT. There's also ISO and a few other types plus DIN metric sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
The surest way is to remove the gypsy and take it with you when you go to buy chain, that is what I did and strongly recommend.
I had suggested buying short lengths of chain to test but taking the gypsy to the store seems like a much better plan if you have a place nearby that has all the various chain sizes.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:48   #10

Ok thanks guys i'll look into removing the gypsy and bringing it with me on the hunt for a chain.
Old 12-12-2019, 16:11   #11

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Your size boat probably wants 3/8" BBB chain or 5/16 high test (G4) chain. The windlass gypsy is the key to identify the chain that fits it. Or buy a gypsy for the chain you want to use.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 16:32   #12

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

I might add that buying chain by the barrel on-line was far less expensive. Six hundred fifty feet of 5/16 American-made HT was less than 2$US per foot. I had the barrel cut, before delivery, into one 50', one 200', and one 400' piece.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 17:24   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
Your size boat probably wants 3/8" BBB chain or 5/16 high test (G4) chain. The windlass gypsy is the key to identify the chain that fits it. Or buy a gypsy for the chain you want to use.
That was also my conclusion after researching chain for my 42' Pearson. Checked sister ships and they were split between those two.
Old 12-12-2019, 20:34   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
Their is a second hand store here that had a piece of 3/8 G4 and tested it, and it's not the right size too big. I'm taking the gimpsy apart in the morning to clean it and see if i can see a stamp on it or will bring it with me to match a chain to it.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 12-12-2019, 23:54   #15

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

I'm going through the same process with my SL windlass (a Sprint Atlantic) on our 2006 H38. I believe that I have a RC162 gypsy which should take 3/8 BBB - that may be the same gypsy that you have from looking at the Anchorman manual. The 3/8 BBB fit my gypsy well when I took it in to the chandlery, but the measurements on my old chain don't seem to match those of the 3/8 BBB (I used a verdier to measure the old chain) - pitch and width are the same as 5/16 G4 but the wire size is a (well-rusted) 3/8 . I'm going to cut a section of the old chain off and take it along with me to the chandlery next time as well for comparison purposes. This is the only marking I could find on the gypsy - does it match yours?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windlass gypsy.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	204934  
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
size