Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2019, 18:33   #16

Re: Need help for Chain size and type

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
I'm going through the same process with my SL windlass (a Sprint Atlantic) on our 2006 H38. I believe that I have a RC162 gypsy which should take 3/8 BBB - that may be the same gypsy that you have from looking at the Anchorman manual. The 3/8 BBB fit my gypsy well when I took it in to the chandlery, but the measurements on my old chain don't seem to match those of the 3/8 BBB (I used a verdier to measure the old chain) - pitch and width are the same as 5/16 G4 but the wire size is a (well-rusted) 3/8 . I'm going to cut a section of the old chain off and take it along with me to the chandlery next time as well for comparison purposes. This is the only marking I could find on the gypsy - does it match yours?
I took my gypsy off since could see the stamp on it and brought it with me to West Marine in Fort Lauderdale and it was 3/8 BBB chain the G4 link are a bit too long. Don't be fooled 3/8 G4 and 3/8 BBB their is a difference in the lenght of the link.

I'm glad now i have my chain and will put it tomorrow on my boat.

Thanks everyone!
miyva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 18:40   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: Need help for Chain size and type

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyva View Post
I took my gypsy off since could see the stamp on it and brought it with me to West Marine in Fort Lauderdale and it was 3/8 BBB chain the G4 link are a bit too long. Don't be fooled 3/8 G4 and 3/8 BBB their is a difference in the lenght of the link.

I'm glad now i have my chain and will put it tomorrow on my boat.

Thanks everyone!
Just a reference to add in - My Ideal Windlass has a 3/8"BBB gypsy and 5/16" Acco galvanized G70 feeds flawlessly. The link pitch of 3/8" BBB and 5/16" G70 are within a few percent.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
size