Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2008, 15:52   #1

Naval mooring balls in Annapolis

Some boaters told me about some mooring balls in Annapolis, specifically on Clements Creek off the Severn river. They are used by the Navy to moor ships during storms, otherwise, they are available to the public for free, first-come-first-serve. We went to Clements Creek and found these mooring balls, but there were others that appeared to be privately owned.

Does anyone know more about these mooring balls? Some of them were labeled USNA. All the ones we tried to use did not have line, just a chain. We ended up on a ball with a last name on it, which I suspect was private.

Any tips for mooring to a ball that doesn't have a line already prepared? It seems like it would be tricky to get a dock line attached to the chain or the top of the ball.
mellenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 16:23   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
You don't have to get your boat near the buoy in order to tie to the buoy.

Take nice long line and tie a fender to the end of it. Throw the fender in the water and pay out the line as you circle the boat around the mooring buoy. Pick up the fender and bring the bitter end of the line aboard. If the buoy is sufficiently large, the looped line will not pull over the top of the buoy. Also, since you have a loop around the buoy, letting go is easy. You let the bitter end go and back down. This method even works in a strong current. Since you cant see where the line touches the mooring buoy rode, after a while slip the line around some to see if it is chaffing.

The Navy may give you an accommodation for removing some of the fouling off their buoy.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 17:57   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
Mooring Ball Rodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellenburg View Post
Any tips for mooring to a ball that doesn't have a line already prepared? It seems like it would be tricky to get a dock line attached to the chain or the top of the ball.
I make a lasso at the end of a dock line with a loop bigger than the ball. The "Admiral" approaches the mooring and I use a boat hook to slip the noose over the ball. Once I'm secure, I rig a bridle to the ring on the mooring and untie my lasso. You can also double up a long line and just slip the bight over the ball and pull both ends. This is easier to untie than the lasso.
Old 31-07-2008, 18:08   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
USNA - U. S. Naval Academy. Would you mind being on a mooring when a ship comes in to use it?
I certainly would call the base at Annapolis before using the moorings. I never liked it when someone used my mooring without permission. Where will I tie up?
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 18:21   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I would imagine the Navy has plenty of small boats to remove these wayward yachts who are not supposed to be tied up to their mooring balls when a ship needs to use it.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 19:40   #6

Boat: De Kleer Fraser 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I would imagine the Navy has plenty of small boats to remove these wayward yachts who are not supposed to be tied up to their mooring balls when a ship needs to use it.
Yes, and they come equipped with guys in uniform holding things that aren't walking sticks!

Patrick
psteele235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 20:48   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Why don't you use the moorings in Annapolis?

The mooring balls are at Naval Station Annapolis...not the USNA

The yacht yard there can probably give you the info on them...
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 21:26   #8

I don't know about the mooring balls on Clements Cr, but the ones on Weems Cr. are only used by the USNA when a hurricane threatens. Otherwise, they can be used on a first come basis.
Marc
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:41   #9

Aloha Marc,
Thanks for the information. This is a good thread and great questions. Does first come basis mean without permission?
Having come back from interisland sails and finding someone in my slip has been a real frustration for me in the past so I'm a little sensitive about tying to anything without permission.
Kind regards,
JohnL
Old 04-08-2008, 10:11   #10

John,
I don't think permission is needed. Whenever I've been there, people just pick up any empty Navy mooring, and stay on it as long as they want.
If you want to check further, you could speak to the Annapolis harbor master. They have control over Weems Cr.
Marc
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:10   #11

Aloha Marc,
Thanks!
JohnL
Old 04-08-2008, 13:27   #12

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
The Navy has mooring balls in several creeks near the Academy. Thes are to be used for the YP training boats and any other naval academy boat needing better protection in a weather event (Hurricane)

People use them all the time. Especially Clements and Weems creek as they are in very nice suroundings. It is my understanding one can use them however one cannot leave a boat unattended on these moorings. On Clements Creek I see day use and some overnight rafting on most summer weekends. Good swimming and no waterskiers.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 15:17   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
The Navy has mooring balls in several creeks near the Academy. Thes are to be used for the YP training boats and any other naval academy boat needing better protection in a weather event (Hurricane)

People use them all the time. Especially Clements and Weems creek as they are in very nice suroundings. It is my understanding one can use them however one cannot leave a boat unattended on these moorings. On Clements Creek I see day use and some overnight rafting on most summer weekends. Good swimming and no waterskiers.
Do you know if the naval balls are all marked on Clements Creek? Also, are they're private balls mixed in with the naval balls?
Old 04-08-2008, 18:19   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I'm not going to touch THAT one

with a twelve foot spinnaker pole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellenburg View Post
Do you know if the naval balls are all marked on Clements Creek? Also, are they're private balls mixed in with the naval balls?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:26   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post

I emailed the Annapolis Harbor Master and got the following response relating to the balls on Weems Creek:

The Naval Academy Moorings in Weems Creek are exclusively under the control of the US Navy.

You must obtain permission in advance from The US Naval Academy Security Department to utilize them.

You may contact them at
410-293-5764

Tags
annapolis, mooring