Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2008, 09:36   #1

Boat: Morgan 34 and Watkins 27 astern of me. Hans Christian 38T is our current love
Angry Moorings in Beaufort, NC

Hi everybody. I wanted the forum's opinion on a topic that is often argued around here.

Beaufort, NC is a national hurricane hole and, as such, cannot license moorings in Taylor's Creek (the waterfront for Beaufort). So, technically the numerous moorings here are unlicensed and perhaps illegal. This also implies that anything can be thrown down and called a mooring, then left for ten years before it is ever thought to be checked.

Here is the irritating part: You come in, find a space in an overcrowded mooring field, and drop the hook. A day, a week, a month later some guy shows up saying you need to move because you are too close to his mooring. If you move, you are being nice, but supporting the ridiculous idea that this guy owns the space around his mooring. If you don't move, then you face possible vandalism, theft, or some guy's boat bumping yours. I have heard both camps on this, but wanted to field it to a less-than-local group of sailors.

BTW: I will be going home today to move my boat for the seocnd time in a week for this reason.
Aqua Vitae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 20:58   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
What is a National Hurricane Hole?

Also...isn't dropping a hook in a mooring field defeating the purpose?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 10:03   #3

That "hurricane hole" is about to get pounded by a TS. It is in no way protected.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 11:06   #4

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Just a little grist for the mill

Just a little grist for the mill;

The age old accepted 'doctrine' of anchoring says that he who anchors first does not need to re-moor (unless they drag from their original position).

I think that is why the space around a mooring is generally 'owned' by that boat... not for any legal reason. Some folks argue points on both sides to their liking... some as ridiculous as the idea they somehow 'own' the actual seabed...

The bottom like (pun intended) is the anchored boat can much more easily adjust their position then the one on the mooring. Now in the unlikely event someone came in a placed a mooring next to your boat while you were anchored all bets would be off, but I doubt that happens very often.

The other consideration is who is more likely to be aware and able to prevent collision of the anchored / moored boats. The laws are more clear there, and chances are the guy on the hook is present and better able to do something to prevent damage.

s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 14:55   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I have heard both camps on this, but wanted to field it to a less-than-local group of sailors.
It's basically an argument. Perhaps the CF staff could all get together and make an official letter of Cruisers forum sanction. I'm not sure you get get someone to move with it. The sort of unofficial word I would agree with is if you have a mooring you are entitled to sufficient room to use it. Unless someone wanted to contest the right to set the mooring in the first place. Once it's there and some boat comes along you pretty much are stuck accepting that it has a right to be there or fighting that point officially. Sort of a put up or shut up.

If you are a local then you can fight the right to stick down a moorings but it becomes more a local / official protest. For a stranger in town I would have to say you don't mess with a mooring owned by a local. It might be the Sheriffs son-in-law.

When you are not a local you only have the right to leave - now. You really can't afford a string of lawsuits every where you go. After a while they know you are coming.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 19:41   #6

Boat: Privilege 37
You own the mooring, and have the right to its use. The mooring does not give you any navigation rights however. There have been some rather length, involved threads on what and who has rights to navigable waterways. If I understand some of the those tenants, the federal govenrement pretty much reserved most right to dictate usage. But, it would probably take some good $$$$$ to uphold your rights in court, if it came to that.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2008, 20:48   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
But what is a "National Hurricane Hole".

Is it a designated area by the Feds.....Like Harbor of Refuge near New York?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:50   #8

Boat: Morgan 34 and Watkins 27 astern of me. Hans Christian 38T is our current love
Taylor's Creek is a federally designated hurricane hole, meaning it is owned (I believe) by the federal government.

Moorings here are not in any way sanctioned by any governing body. Not Beaufort, not the state, not the federal government. If you decide to get onto a mooring that is then unused, you have all right to stay there. Previous attempts at getting a non-owner off of an owner's mooring have failed when the authorities were introduced. In short, the Coast Guard says, "It is not a legal mooring, therefore it shouldn't be there anyway. It is an anchor, and if you leave it, then anybody has a right to it." So if I drop the hook in a good spot, trying my best to avoid all moorings but still in the "range" of one, why the hell should I move down the creek? Half of these moorings are not even owned by locals, but from people as far away as three hours drive. If I am not to stand up to any random person who has decided to stake a claim to federally owned waters, where do I start to stand up for myself?

BTW: I don't go looking for trouble, it comes knocking on my door telling me to move.
Aqua Vitae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:35   #9

Boat: 44 footer
Quite true about that area being territorial!

Only can handle so many boats up by the docks... a bit of a mooring ball mine field. Further from town you get, the lower the congestion. (Perhaps why folks want to stake a claim?)

Occasionally though I'll see folks with three anchors set pretending to be a mooring. "What me? Move? You know how hard that'd be..." )

I was a little surprised that the weekend before last the docks were practically empty. Weather was beautiful... A few mega yachts laying along side, but hardly anybody in the slips.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaufort