Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 16:39   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
I have normally been able to drive up to our mooring, turn into it, ansd stop. But this didn't help at our newmooring last weekend.

So we now have a mastr bouy. Tied it to he pennant with a bowline on the eyelet with 10' of line. After 2 ties my only disappointment is that catching the mooring is now kind of boring!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:13   #17
Marine Service Provider

Re: Mooring Pick-Up Float / Mast Buoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
I have determined due to the mooring ball I'm at this year that life is going to be a lot better with a pick-up bouy. How are you suppose to attach the float/mast bouy to the mooring pennant? Should it be able to slide along the pennant, or be attached to maybe the middle of the pennant line?

Seems a basic thing, but a search on-line didn't find answer and why reinvert the wheel.

Thanks
Have a look at Home . It's a new system that picks up the mooring unassisted.
Calling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 14:13   #18
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calling View Post
Have a look at Home . It's a new system that picks up the mooring unassisted.

Talk about a false statement. I watched the video and kept waiting for the pennant to just jump up and put itself on a cleat, you know unassisted. I think this is a case of the mouse laughing at the new trap someone left to catch him.

I think my current system of a pennant float sticking up that is higher that my deck works great. I can see it all the way to it and my wife (or me if solo) just reaches over and lift it up .
Old 07-05-2013, 15:29   #19

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

I singlehandle everywhere and when I want to pick up a mooring here's what I do:

Run a line from the bow cleat outside of everything to the cockpit with about ten feet of extra length. Put on the safety harness and clip to something in the cockpit and position the mooring ball on the leeward side of the cockpit area, this allows you to control the throttle and shifter while maneuvering close to the mooring ball. Use your boat hook to retrieve whatever is attached to the mooring ball, slip the line from the bow cleat thru the whatever and attach this line to the primary winch.

The boat is now attached to the mooring ball, and the line can be walked forward at your leisure.

Variations of this technique have worked in wind and chop.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 15:56   #20

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
Thanks for responses. I'm sure the pick-up is going to be a plus overall. We got real good last year of picking up our mooring line, but this year the ball is different so the line hangs a lot different.

I'm still unsure of the besdt way to tie the pick-up to the mooring line though.
We have a snap shackle at the end of the pick-up buoy line. Our mooring has two pennants. We run the line from the pick-up through the eye splices at the end of both pennants and snap it to itself. We pull the pickup buoy through the lifelines, unsnap the shackle and secure the pennants. We leave the buoy on the foredeck either snapped to itself around a stanchion or through one of the pennants. Works great.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 15:36   #21
Marine Service Provider

Has anyone used a new device called Catcher Snatcher? Apparently it catches your mooring pick up line unassisted.
There is a funny video demonstrating it on youtube. Search "mooring auto pick up".
Calling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, mooring