Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2016, 07:19   #1

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett
Mooring Hooks

Is anyone out her using a mooring hook or something close to that allows you to attach you mooring line to a mooring ball by the use of some sort of boat hook. If so which one are you using and why...at my age i need all the help i can get when it comes to attempting to tie up to anything so if one these makes life easier i want it...keep in mind i am a poor boy.
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:41   #2

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version
Re: Mooring Hooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Kivett View Post
Is anyone out her using a mooring hook or something close to that allows you to attach you mooring line to a mooring ball by the use of some sort of boat hook. If so which one are you using and why...at my age i need all the help i can get when it comes to attempting to tie up to anything so if one these makes life easier i want it...keep in mind i am a poor boy.
Are you talking about something to fasten your boat mooring line to the pendant line of mooring? Can it get much easier than threading the mooring line through the pendant loop and back to a bloat cleat? And it can't get easier to detach then undoing the mooring line from the boat cleat and pulling it back from the pendant can it?
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:52   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

West marine used to sell something like that. Maybe made by Windline marine?
Old 10-01-2016, 08:20   #4

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

I have this: Snap hooks / mooring hook / simple / length 170

It works but the spring on the hook is a bit on the weak side: it falls too easily from the attachment. In difficult situations (e.g. wind against tide and short-handed), I use it to catch the buoy before deploying a conventional mooring line. It is useful because it makes possible to be less precise in path and speed control than with the method described by Privleoplag.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:50   #5

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Kivett View Post
Hi Hank,

The short answer may be Practical Sailor's pick of devices for this: EasyMoor. At US$44 it seems like a reasonable solution.

Longer version adding some context:

In my experience, mooring balls either have only a ring on top, or also have a floating pennant you can grab to tie to.

Getting close to the ball is sometimes the most difficult step for us. What I do is tie each end of a dock line to the bow cleats- forming a loop maybe 10ft long from the bow of our monohull. Then I just have to get close enough to the mooring ball to toss the loop over it- temporarily lassoing it. [Sometimes it is helpful to put a small fishing net float- or a piece of chain- in the middle of that loop depending upon the circumstances...]

Once lassoed, I can pull the ball close enough to rig 2 lines to it (one round trip to each bow cleat; not from one cleat to the other with each piece of line...) and be done with it. Sometimes I don't like the look of the pennant, and the buoy ring is corroded enough it will chafe lines, so I either attach a shackle directly to the ring and run my lines through the shackle, or rig a short loop of chain through the buoy ring and shackle the ends together. [Out of laziness of not wanting to get up in the middle of the night, I always assume inclement conditions will ensue.]

Is attaching directly to the buoy ring the portion you are having difficulty with? I agree, it can be tricky to thread lines/chain/shackle through the ring(s) sometimes. In that case, you might benefit from Practical Sailor's pick of devices for this: EasyMoor. At US$44 it seems like a reasonable solution.

I rarely have to do this these last 20 years or so as we have very few opportunities to moor in the waters we frequent these days. [Except for the occasional large boat mooring- which we stay away from...]

In case this is helpful.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 10-01-2016, 10:10   #6

Boat: Moody 49

Not sure you can get these in the US..... Hook and Moor

Welcome to Hook & Moor

Mark
Mark Thurlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:17   #7

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Yes Defender sells Hook and Moor Defender.com Search Results: hook and moor

Also I have a Grab & Go which works well Defender.com Search Results: grab n go

Anyone who uses the Grab & Go should be aware that the SWL is only 700 pounds, so it's real application is just to get you attached while you rig a proper shackle to a stout line. However it's great when you want to grab a mooing as a "lunch hook" or as an interim step while you launch (or retrieve) the dinghy to rig/der-rig a shackle.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:26   #8

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

We have the Hook and Moor. Only used it a few times so far. Very useful for attaching to a mooring ball which doesn't have a pennant.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:46   #9

Happy Hooker is also another product.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 18:09   #10

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

Thanks guys for all the info...as a single handed sailor i am looking for anything that will help and i assure you it will appreciated...keep the cards and letters coming
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:31   #11

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

If the engine is available, it is sometimes easier to catch the mooring ball from the stern, by backing against the wind or current. Except on some catamarans, the rudder separates the mooring from the propeller and the transom is generally closer from the cockpit than the bow.

Then, it is easy to lead another line from the bow to the mooring ball.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 14:12   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I agree with wrwakefield in using the lassooing method. i call it the "John Wayne method". Virtually fool-proof but it only give a temporary attachment to the buoy but give plenty of time to sort things out later.

Now i need a little help. Just bought a boat (Jeanneau 43ds) on which i found what the label says is a "threader". Pic attached. how the devil do you use it? cannot find any docs or website that explains it.

PS:I tried 4 times to attach a pic but \m not sure it has worked.
Old 13-01-2016, 14:42   #13

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Attach pictures in the top line with the paperclip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	delete 13jan16.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	116664  
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring