Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2016, 19:06   #1

Mooring for peace of mind?

First, I understand that this is a topic that may have been covered in a past post, but I had a hard time finding a specific answer for my question.

I plan on moving aboard a sailboat in the Northern Caribbean within the next 2 years and expect to be living on the hook for a good portion of my time cruising to conserve funds. I already plan on getting an oversized anchor for my boat, but was wondering if it's possible to just use a small mooring anchor.

I don't plan on changing location very often, so how unrealistic is it to carry a 135 lb mushroom on board to toss over the bow when I plan to stay somewhere for weeks or even months at a time?

I understand that this may be a bit over the top for most, but I would be willing to go the extra mile to sleep at night or leave the boat for a few days at a time.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan James
ryanjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 19:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Mooring for peace of mind?

How big a boat are you planning to use to carry this thing around? Where will you stow it while you're underway? How will you drop and raise it?

Aside from the details of handling the thing, a good anchor in most situations (like 99% of the time) will hold better than the mushroom. It isn't weight that holds a boat, its the surface area and the anchor digging in to the bottom.

A mushroom mooring holds because it's sunk deep into a soft, mud bottom which in addition to the right bottom usually takes time for the mushroom to set. Dropping it in some random harbor if the bottom is hard sand, shallow mud, grass, or just about anything except deep, soft mud, the mushroom will sit on top of the ocean floor and you will drag away at the first breeze.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 20:01   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

What he said.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 20:09   #4

Thanks for the quick reply and please excuse my lack of knowledge and detail on the topic.

The boats that I am looking at are monohulls in the 35-40 ft range. I assumed a mushroom would be my best bet since I had thought many mooring buoys are secured by those.

So let me rephrase my question: What anchor type and weight would be so secure that I wouldn't even need to think about dragging, even in extremely high winds and currents?

Again, my apologies for my lack of knowledge and information.

-Ryan James
ryanjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 20:28   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjames View Post
Thanks for the quick reply and please excuse my lack of knowledge and detail on the topic.

The boats that I am looking at are monohulls in the 35-40 ft range. I assumed a mushroom would be my best bet since I had thought many mooring buoys are secured by those.

So let me rephrase my question: What anchor type and weight would be so secure that I wouldn't even need to think about dragging, even in extremely high winds and currents?

Again, my apologies for my lack of knowledge and information.

-Ryan James
No need to apologize for asking questions. I'm pretty sure no one on this forum was born knowing everything so we all had to ask something sometime.

BUT, asking about anchors you just opened a can of worms. It may be more controversial than discussing religion or politics. Spend a couple of minutes with the forum search function for anchors and then spend a few hours reading opinions. This thread on anchors is interesting.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-126073.html

Bottom line, hate to disappoint but there is no anchor that would fit on your boat that will never drag under any conditions. The best anchor in the world won't hold if you try to anchor on a hard, rocky bottom where it can't dig in. Any of the new generation anchors are good. I prefer the Mantus. Whatever brand you buy, get a big one. I have a 65 lb for my 42'. I would get a 55 lb for a 35' range but go for a 65 lb for 40' boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 20:53   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

You're probably best off to take 2 good sized anchors, & lay them down 180 degrees apart from each other. Or 3, at 120 degree intervals. And connect the ends of their rodes to a plate or monster sized shackle. Then lead some chain or a very heavy duty line over your bow roller, down to this connecting point for the rodes.

This way you're essentially building a mooring. But one that relies on the holding power of the anchors to keep things in place. And it's made up of items you'll already have onboard. Plus it's relatively easy to retrieve, as compared to a large mushroom. It's also a technique that's used when there's impending heavy weather enroute.
Just remember to keep at least 1 anchor onboard when you do this, as a reserve.

PS: Often times a swivel is used at the connection point of the anchors, to shackle the line which goes over your bow to. That way as the boat moves around, none of the rodes, nor the pendant at the bow, gets kinked up.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 21:33   #7

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Hi, you could also check out panope's video of anchors setting. Steve's efforts along with Nolex's pics of anchors setting are two of the best practical resources of this site, IMHO.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 22:31   #8

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Random thoughts.

Many mooring buoys are secured to the bottom using a metal screw like device similar to what you would buy and screw in the ground to chain a dog. In some cases more than one is used. In the Bahamas/Keys they are put in the coral/rock bottom not sand or mud. Sometimes home made solutions are things like a 50 gallon drum filled with cement and covered with mud or sand; or other heavy objects. There are also special anchor designs for things like oil rigs that are larger some what simplified conventional anchors like a Bruce. For a lot of what I will call static anchoring a Bruce is a good choice.

The two anchor Bahamian style has pros and cons. It's origin is from the strong tides as a result of water quickly flowing on and off the shallow Bahama Banks. The two anchors allow the boat to swing 180 degrees and still have the boat pulling on one anchor in the right direction. The problem arises when the boat swings 180 degrees multiple times and the anchor lines/chains get tangled. For a short stay two anchors can work well but the longer the boat is not moved the greater the chance the anchor lines will get tangled. One thing I have noticed is that some folks basically put in a mooring ball for their boat and travel to and from it as the cruise. This happens quite often in BKH.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 00:12   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Perhaps this will put things i n perspective for you:

First, a mushroom anchor derives its holding power from weight rather than from design. True, IF it is well buried in mud or sand, its shape helps with holding power, but if used as you describe on an unknown bottom, it is just a weight to drag around.

Second, most moorings work on the same principle: a big weight to drag around, possibly aided by sinking eventually into the bottom. The big thing is that in most areas a mooring block for a boat of the size you propose would weigh at least a ton, and more likely two. That's kina hard to carry around on your yacht!

IF you are a diver and are comfy working underwater, the screw anchor mentioned above could be useful to you. You would have to anchor normally, then dive and screw the 'corkscrew" into the bottom in a useful place, and then retrieve it when leaving. Could be done, would be pretty secure, but a true PITA.

Finally, face reality! Most of us long term cruisers live most of the time at anchor. We buy good ground tackle, learn how to deploy it well, and don't worry about it so much. Internet cruisers spend less money, but do worry about it a lot!! Take your choice...

Jim
Old 27-08-2016, 01:53   #10

Ryan-

Let's focus on your original premise of creating a "semi-permanent" mooring. If you're static in one place for long periods then you need to consider that an anchor no matter how large will be swinging multiple times every single day. Swivel helps to prevent twisting the rode but that anchor has to reset quite often.

Also your chain will become quite fouled over many months and most likely barnacles will form. Enjoy scraping those suckers off the links!

Carrying 200-300 lbs of extra weight and hoisting/retrieving it needs be considered. You may wish to consider carrying a high-holding power stockless like an AC-14 or a Poole, but NOT a navy or forfjord.

Another option is a pyramid mooring but they need to be buried, so you could possible rent a small gas powered slop pump with a 2" hose and use a water jet to bury it, just like when we sink pilings for piers.

Anchors and Moorings by Dor-Mor
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 03:05   #11

Forget a specific mooring anchor. Get the best anchor and chain to suit your vessel that you can afford, and while at it a beefy anchor winch. Pick your anchorages with the knowledge about conditions that you will aquire the longer you stay in an area. If there is a patch of unusual bad weather then rent a mooring in the short term.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 03:34   #12

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Ryan,

Get yourself a good quality modern anchor, but don't forget that there are lots of wonderful GPS based apps that let you know if you are dragging your anchor.

After reading a bunch of anchoring threads here on Cruisers Forum I started to get very restless at anchor (actually, I couldn't sleep a bloody wink) but a now that I use a GPS based anchor alarm (Drag Queen) I sleep like a log. At least until the dolphins do their little trick of slapping the side of the boat at 3am. Why do they do that? Do I look really funny staggering around the deck at 3am in my underwear with a torch, trying to figure out what hit the boat?

Probably.

Dolphins must have a strange sense of humour though.

Matt
Old 27-08-2016, 04:17   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Dolphins must have a strange sense of humour though.
Yes, but it's the mice who actually rule Earth, Arthur!
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 04:21   #14

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Yes, but it's the mice who actually rule Earth, Arthur!
Which is EXACTLY why I bought a 42 footer.
Old 27-08-2016, 04:23   #15

Bad idea...

If you plan to stay put buy a heavy mushroom and have a proper mooring installed. You can sell it or rent it when you leave... or move it to the next location... PITA.

Better yet get chain, a decent anchor and back up, a proper windlass and ANCHOR.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring