Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2011, 18:29   #1

Boat: Columbia 30
Mooring Buoy Holding-Block Weight ?

We live on the west coast of Canada and are planning on putting down a mooring bouy in a semi protected harbour. Does anyone know a good anchor (block)weight to boat weight ratio.?

Thanks alot
Mark
Mark Cammiade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 18:32   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Mooring Bouy holding block weight?

We don't use much in the way of blocks down here... Helical screws and triple anchors to a kellet are the norm.... Y'all just dump a block down and shackle to it?
Old 22-08-2011, 18:39   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

san diego uses 2840 pounds concrete block. they DO drag if the boat is heavy and the lines are short.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 18:45   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
We don't use much in the way of blocks down here... Helical screws and triple anchors to a kellet are the norm.... Y'all just dump a block down and shackle to it?
Empty engine blocks reportedly work good.
Zee...2800 lbs and it moves?? I didnt think sd got any big wind.... We get gusts to 70 and more in the winter....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 18:56   #5

we had 90+ kts in winter for storms the past 4 yrs, 60+ years prior. i have had boats sitting on moorings since 1999 december, and i was anchored in a-9 for 3-4 years prior to that. the china chain incident was during 65+ kt wind at 0200 easter sunday morning 1999--anemometer of breakaway boat was pegged at 65kts. broken.
my formosa was moored in 2008 in a 90+ kt storm and i felt the block do endos 3 times. since then i had my lines lengthened and and double i was about 10 ft closer to my northwest neighbor before i lengthened lines. sdmc didnt believe me. is fact. is truf. i was there. bubby was skeereded when that block rolled. so was i....was righteous..
our bad storms are generally la and el nino generated, encouraged, spawned, whatever, but they come down coast like freight trains from pnw. righteous. they build in strength until the last one is generally over 70 kt winds. i do not like them. they are cold and mean. the 90 plus kts is special and a new thing....3 yrs in sequence, now.
winter in sd is not a fun thing. is one reason why i was in sucvh a hurry to leave there. 90 plus kts with 38 degree temps sukks.
Old 22-08-2011, 19:06   #6

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Concrete is not a great material for moorings because it is too buoyant compared to cast iron. Use a mushroom anchor. The long shank and fluke/cup of a mushroom along with their density make them best. In muddy bottoms the multiple engine block idea works if you put short sections of pipe over the chain where it threads through the blocks and then a good sturdy swivel tying together a couple of large old cast iron V8 or 6cyl. engine blocks (not aluminum blocks from your old Vega).
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 19:08   #7

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
san diego uses 2840 pounds concrete block. they DO drag if the boat is heavy and the lines are short.
Agree with Smurphny. Concrete has a density of 150 pounds per cubic foot. Water has a density of 62.4 pounds per cubic foot. This means the relative density of concrete in water is 87.6, or 58.4%. This means the 2840 pound block really weighs about 1635 in water. Steel or iron is a much better material for this because of its higher density.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 19:16   #8

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

My mooring is two old cast steel loco wheels shackled to 7 metres of 3/4 stud link chain. When checked 12 months after laying the diver could not reach the wheels they had sunk so far into the mud and the chain appeared to be about 2 metres shorter. Doesn't move whatever wind is blowing. Perfect system for a mud bottom.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 19:34   #9

concrete blox are great if not pulled out of water every year for inspection. after being drug up and out of the mud, they tend to be more mobile. sdmc no longer checks their moorings in jan--is done in june now so the blox do not roll. the mud sucks em down into itself.

to this block is attached 1 inch chain X about 30 ft, with a 3 ft tag line for the mooring lines provided to run to your boat, i insisted on 2 lines for my formosa and i insisted on as long as they would give me, added a bunch by making a bridle from my mast to my hawse holes and attaching lines thru each hawse--the way i did it added 10 ft to the actual rode in use. much better. i attached one line to the first chain link and the other to the second chain link.

these concrete blox have been in use since the origination of the moorings in sd bay. i donot know what year that was--but the blox have not been changed, they look great and still hold when allowed to have proper length lines.
Old 22-08-2011, 20:06   #10

Boat: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cammiade View Post
We live on the west coast of Canada and are planning on putting down a mooring bouy in a semi protected harbour. Does anyone know a good anchor (block)weight to boat weight ratio.?

Thanks alot
Mark
Mark,
You should be able to get all of the stats on the buoys used by B.C. Parks, by contacting them.

This may give you an idea, as well, but it says it's only been there for less than 2 years: Oak Bay Mooring

There's a guy who was selling them for Brentwood Bay and/or Maple Bay for $2,500 . He was using 1,000lb weights, but I believe that they were concrete.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 20:50   #11

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

We use railway car wheels of cast iron, about 900 lbs. each, and secured to half-inch chain with an inflated tire at the surface. We are behind a low and cruddy sea wall built by German POWs...from which war isn't clear...and we can get pretty violent wave action OVER the wall, but those moorings don't easily move.

Concrete ones do.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 21:15   #12

Boat: Columbia 30

Thank you guys so much I'm a little leary of cast iron because of rusting. I was wondering how much the formosa yankee clipper weighs?

Cheers
Mark
Mark Cammiade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 22:11   #13

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Re: Mooring Bouy Holding Block Weight ?

We moored our 13 ton Hans Christian 34t on 2000# concrete with 1 1/4" nylon and chain on both ends...no problem. New boat is 27 tons and I'm leary. I plan on having a second block and a couple anchors added, and increasing the rode to 1 3/4", probably overkill, but cheap insurance. Our anchorage can see 60=75 mph in the winter, but doesn't last more than a few hours.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 23:30   #14

Boat: looking
Re: Mooring Bouy Holding Block Weight ?

Mark:
FORMOSA 41 YANKEE CLIPPER sailboat on sailboatdata.com
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 01:53   #15

Boat: Seawind 1000
Re: Mooring Buoy Holding-Block Weight ?

For our boat, a Seawind 1000 we used an old tractor wheel with wheel weight attached. Not sure on the weight but guessing about 250 to 300 kg. Then 12 mts of heavy 32mm stud link chain, about 150mm long 90mm wide joined via swivel to about 8 mt of 50mm x 12mm.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1292.jpg
Views:	1630
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	30769

Name:	IMG_1278.jpg
Views:	1327
Size:	452.5 KB
ID:	30767

Name:	IMG_1281.jpg