Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2014, 14:05   #121

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Re: Mediterranean Mooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
That is just so wrong.

Its a Latte.

I like to think about it as a personal preference matter
Attending the box of scoffers I like to have a capuccino
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 14:45   #122

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Somehow I remembered a post I made long ago, in the funny thread about naked sailing

The post was almost slely and exclusively about Med mooring, so I decided to bring it up here, from the depths of CF...

Once upon a time I left the Vassiliki on Levkas Island, intending to sail to Kioni on Ithaka. We were six on boat, two guys and four girls. Very good looking girls I must admit.
Just after leaving Vassiliki the wind died completely. Sails went down, girls went sunbathing on the deck (in their birthsuits), old good Yanmar propelled us slowly to the south. As there was not a sign of wind I decided to motor to somewhat closer Fiskardho on Cephalonia instead of Kioni. Sun was shining, the engine worked rather silently on low revs and in some time all four girls felt asleep. They had their beach towels under them, but no clothes within reach - up to Skipper's Standing Order: "No loose items on the deck under way!"
When we glided slowly into Fiskardho Bay one of the girls woke up and took a a quick glance around, but did nothing. Martha was first into any crazy situation, so she waited patiently. I only heard her stifled laugther for a moment.
After few minutes we were close to the pontoon and I put the helm hard on the side with the loder than necessary command: "Prepare to moor!".
My colleague went to the windlass and got the anchor ready. Girls jumped on their feets, looking around in disbelief. Martha was first to grab her beach towel and wear it the same way as pareo. After the few moments all were on proper action stations: me on helm, Bart at the windlass, Anna and Sylvia on bathing platform with warps ready, Martha and Alicia on the sidedecks, at the cleats, ready to take up the slack on warps. The anchor went down and we reversed slowly to the pontoon. I think Anna and Sylvia looked really nice, standing on the bathing platform. They were both models, each tall at about 6 feet, very slim and very graceful. Sylvia a blonde, with long hair, Anna with a mass of curling brown hair. Anna was the busty one. Really a pair of fantastic breasts...
The pontoon was closer and closer, some people from other boats went out to take our lines. It was some two metres from the pontoon when Anna made a powerful throw, placing a coil of warp exactly near bollard and... displacing her beach towel. It went straight to the water, leaving her completely naked at the front of all public on pontoon...
Sylvia was unable to throw a line, as she burst into laugh. But the laugh worked well for sending second beach towel into the water... Mooring the boat was not perfect manoeuver this time, so I'm not so sure what was the reason for standing ovation we received, when coming into Theodora's Cafe later the evening...

Sorry for reposting my own old post. I just couldn't resist...
Old 15-04-2014, 15:47   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Somehow I remembered a post I made long ago, in the funny thread about naked sailing

The post was almost slely and exclusively about Med mooring, so I decided to bring it up here, from the depths of CF...

Once upon a time I left the Vassiliki on Levkas Island, intending to sail to Kioni on Ithaka. We were six on boat, two guys and four girls. Very good looking girls I must admit.
Just after leaving Vassiliki the wind died completely. Sails went down, girls went sunbathing on the deck (in their birthsuits), old good Yanmar propelled us slowly to the south. As there was not a sign of wind I decided to motor to somewhat closer Fiskardho on Cephalonia instead of Kioni. Sun was shining, the engine worked rather silently on low revs and in some time all four girls felt asleep. They had their beach towels under them, but no clothes within reach - up to Skipper's Standing Order: "No loose items on the deck under way!"
When we glided slowly into Fiskardho Bay one of the girls woke up and took a a quick glance around, but did nothing. Martha was first into any crazy situation, so she waited patiently. I only heard her stifled laugther for a moment.
After few minutes we were close to the pontoon and I put the helm hard on the side with the loder than necessary command: "Prepare to moor!".
My colleague went to the windlass and got the anchor ready. Girls jumped on their feets, looking around in disbelief. Martha was first to grab her beach towel and wear it the same way as pareo. After the few moments all were on proper action stations: me on helm, Bart at the windlass, Anna and Sylvia on bathing platform with warps ready, Martha and Alicia on the sidedecks, at the cleats, ready to take up the slack on warps. The anchor went down and we reversed slowly to the pontoon. I think Anna and Sylvia looked really nice, standing on the bathing platform. They were both models, each tall at about 6 feet, very slim and very graceful. Sylvia a blonde, with long hair, Anna with a mass of curling brown hair. Anna was the busty one. Really a pair of fantastic breasts...
The pontoon was closer and closer, some people from other boats went out to take our lines. It was some two metres from the pontoon when Anna made a powerful throw, placing a coil of warp exactly near bollard and... displacing her beach towel. It went straight to the water, leaving her completely naked at the front of all public on pontoon...
Sylvia was unable to throw a line, as she burst into laugh. But the laugh worked well for sending second beach towel into the water... Mooring the boat was not perfect manoeuver this time, so I'm not so sure what was the reason for standing ovation we received, when coming into Theodora's Cafe later the evening...

This is the Florida crew on the boat.
I dont think it will work as well as your mooring distraction...

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 16:07   #124

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
This is the Florida crew on the boat.
I dont think it will work as well as your mooring distraction...

Fine crew really

But You are right - somehow I prefer differently chosen crews...

You know, nothing looks better than girls, sitting on the rail of the slightly heeled mono...
But... You are looking for a cat..?.. Aren't You..?..
Old 16-04-2014, 09:07   #125

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Mediterranean mooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
I spent a few months in the Med, middle East and other locations where this type of mooring is not only preferred but required and anyone heading in that direction should familiarize themselves with your descriptions and practice, practice, practice.
Thanks for bringing up a really important issue that western boaters know little about. Cheers, Phil
When starting this thread I didn't expect - in the matter of fact - that it will exceed 3.000 views in less than two weeks.
It is nice for me, I need to admit.

One question to You, Capt. Phil - where in the Middle East the Med. mooring is used?
I asked Saucy Sailoress for some first hand contribution here, but it appeared she didn't meet such a places there

Cheers

Tomasz
Old 16-04-2014, 09:19   #126

Quote:

I hate you ;-)
Old 16-04-2014, 09:42   #127

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
When starting this thread I didn't expect - in the matter of fact - that it will exceed 3.000 views in less than two weeks.
It is nice for me, I need to admit.

One question to You, Capt. Phil - where in the Middle East the Med. mooring is used?
I asked Saucy Sailoress for some first hand contribution here, but it appeared she didn't meet such a places there

Cheers

Tomasz
While I found it most prevalent in Greece, particularly the Islands and in Turkey such as Bodrum and around the little quays near the Bosphorus, Abu Tig in Egypt and I recall the Festival Marina I believe in Dubai or Saudia Arabia (can't remember exactly... it was back in the late 80's) but it was pretty common before marinas were built up and there were only rock quays to moor to. As you got closer to some of the bigger cities, finger pontoons were available but usually reserved for larger vessels. Frankly, I found that once you mastered the technique of backing down to the mooring with the prop walk, it was pretty easy. Cheers. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 13:58   #128

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Frankly, I found that once you mastered the technique of backing down to the mooring with the prop walk, it was pretty easy. Cheers. Phil
Prop walk is wonderful stuff , just so long as you keep it under control, mine is left handed and its why I always try and berth starboard side to.

When laying an anchor and backing up I always have the yacht moving briskly astern ( which kills the prop walk ) before I drop the anchor.

Which brings us to Ping's 3 laws of shiphandling.

Make speed your friend.

Never approach anything solid at a speed faster than you would like to hit it.

A stopped yacht is a drifting yacht.

Yes I know ... there is a bit of incompatability in there... that is the trick .... knowing when to take the speed off....
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 08:54   #129

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post

I hate you ;-)
You do not need
I had married since...

But.... sometime...
May be we will meet somewhere...
But veeeery quietly... Under the radar....
Old 17-04-2014, 08:56   #130

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

Yes I know ... there is a bit of incompatability in there... that is the trick .... knowing when to take the speed off....
Practice... practice... practice....

Old 17-04-2014, 23:28   #131

Quote:
You do not need
I had married since...

But.... sometime...
May be we will meet somewhere...
But veeeery quietly... Under the radar....
hahahaha
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 05:08   #132

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It was quite an agreement in this thread, as one of the bright sides of using the Med mooring is a possibility to sit in the waterside cafe, sipping latte, capuccino, frappe or other favourite kind of coffee, look at the boats coming to their slots, see their predicaments and comment, comment, comment...

So... What is the funniest thing ever You saw, looking at the boats attempting to Med moor somewhere???

Some time ago, in another anchoring thread, I revoked the funny situation...

Just try to imagine…
Nice evening in Greece. Charming little harbour of Kioni on the Ithaca island.
A handful of boats Med moored to the quay. Light wind coming from the entrance.
Total calm and beauty.
36 ft Bavaria gliding slowly to the harbour, under engine, low revs. All people on boats looking who is coming. Bavaria showing worn out Greek flag back and white cross on red rectangle under spreader – so probably charter boat with Swiss crew. A couple in early thirties on board, man at the helm and woman on foredeck, windlass remote in hand. Two children in lifejackets in cockpit. Lady on the bow looking around. Found two free spots, waving her free hand to the man behind the wheel. Bavaria is slowly turning 90 degrees to port, then stopping, and starting to move backwards, towards the British flagged, rather big Bene, with two free mooring slots on both sides. The man gives some command and the woman on foredeck lowers the bower. Delta, not so decent size. And it is too late and too close to the quay in the Kioni. Harbour is kind of sunken canyon, anchor go to 10 – 12 meters by average, deeper in places. At the bow of moored boat it is some 6 metres or more, so plenty of scope is needed… Windlass on Bavaria is working. Klick, klick, klick…. And afer a few seconds it stops. Anchor is dangling probably some 4, may be 5 meters under the water level. Lady is looking with admiration at helmsman executing his difficult task of driving the boat into the slot in crosswind. Crosswind of about 1 B, but it is gusting to almost 2 B. No wonder that the boat is pushed by this ferocious wind to the starboard. Almost hitting the bow of British Bene. In the front of disaster the lady boldly lets another two or three meters of chain to go out, and deep satisfaction on her face shows that only her action saved the yachts. The man at the helm, staying face back, on opposite side of the pedestal, is totally concentrated. A burst of back revs moment after near miss with Brit, and Bavaria is well into the second slot. Burst forward stops her. The bow goes to the starboard, and Bavaria touches the next boat. This one is well moored, so heroic helmsman can use her like a shoehorn to get Bavaria completely into the slot, touching the quay by stern. Anchor chain is not completely vertical, some angle can be seen by bare eyes, so yes, the anchor actually touched the bottom. The brave lady on the bow looks at the chain somewhat suspiciously, but the rode is quite tight, so assured of the good holding she parts with the remote and goes towards the cockpit.
The kind gentleman from British boat is standing on the quay ready to accept the mooring lines, but the helmsman of Bavaria probably do not want to disturb older man and is starting the chat. Meanwhile the lady occupies herself, taking the lifejackets off the children. At this moment the decks of other boats are full of spectators. All silent, observing, waiting. You can almost physically feel the tension and suspense. And hear the Englishman, asking politely: “Can You be so kind and throw Your mooring lines to me?”. Helmsman cannot refuse, so takes one by one, two coiled tidily mooring lines, not attached to the boat and throws all of them to the quay. English gentleman starts to make them fast on the metal eyes on the quay, asking in the meantime: “It is Your first day of the charter I presume?”. The answer: “No, the fourth!” for the first time make the Englishman looking little surprised. Fastened lines go back to the Bavaria and her skipper works hardly on tying them to the cleats. Next the skipper and his mate properly decide to further tighten the anchor rode, in order to put some distance between the stern and the quay, for lowering the bathing platform, as first try to do it ends completely unsuccessful. Unhappily, for some mysterious reason, just after engaging the windlass, the anchor jumps up from the water. The obvious case of extremely bad holding bottom of course. A kind of war council is taking place on the bow of Bavaria, for some reasons by whisper only. From the body talk the whole auditorium can understand as the lady is insisting on some decisive effort to reset the anchor. Her intention prevail as somebody inform them, that the passing by high speed huge ferry is expected in an hour or two, and the wash can just annihilate the unanchored boat. This is rather alarmist and exaggerated, as the ferry should pass in four hours rather than two, and the wash can smash no more than a half of boat, anyway such an information speeds up the decision process. The dinghy is lowered to the water, anchor to the dinghy and the brave helmsman goes rowing violently. His mate is putting chain out by windlass, looking carefully to keep it straight and tight. For some not easy to understand reason, after some meters the rower cannot push the boat further. Quick visual check reveals no underwater obstruction of any kind, but the helmsman, rower, single hero on the dinghy is losing this fight. Dinghy is back closer and closer to the bow of Bavaria. Next sitting of the war council is held and change of tactic decided. This time the bunch of chain is going to the dinghy. Solitary hero starts to row again. Rowing, and throwing the chain out is difficult. Wind abated somewhat, but is still gusting about full Force One, and this is probably the reason why the dinghy is drifting further and further to starboard, crossing over anchor chains of all three yachts moored on this side, and entering the area of fishermen moorings.
The helmsman is completely exhausted now, so he makes the last heroic effort and accompanied by unison scream of the all harbour: “Noooo!!!! Not there!!!!!!!!!!” he throws the anchor out of the dinghy, probably just by the force of will.
In an instant the brave woman on the foredeck engages the winch, taking the slack up. After just a seconds the rode is tight like a string in a piano and not so big Delta sets wonderfully in the mess of beefy dead-mooring chains and lines on the bottom. Bavaria is now turned some 30 degrees to the starboard, but her anchor hold like all rocks of the world, like the hero of Disney’s tale….

So … nothing is so important as a Great Art of Anchoring…

It was really nothing dangerous, so it was fun to look at

It is nothing wrong about some laugh, and nothing wrong about learning lessons from misadventures of others...

So, let us to have a laugh
Old 23-04-2014, 05:11   #133

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It was quite an agreement in this thread, as one of the bright sides of using the Med mooring is a possibility to sit in the waterside cafe, sipping latte, capuccino, frappe or other favourite kind of coffee, look at the boats coming to their slots, see their predicaments and comment, comment, comment...

Of course it is ONLY LATTE for weavis
Old 23-04-2014, 05:17   #134
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Of course it is ONLY LATTE for weavis
But dont forget the Brandy and wine also. Oh.. and the beer...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 05:31   #135

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
But dont forget the Brandy and wine also. Oh.. and the beer...
Brandy.. Wine... Beer...
Add whisky (double, of course), gin & tonic, some cocktails...
All so self evident

Tags
mediterranean, mooring