Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2017, 06:19   #16

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Measure length of chain

My 2cents as to the markings:
Light colour bands painted on the chain (like yellow) are easier to see at night than dark.
We have inserted plastic (yellow) markers,
1 marker - at 10m
2 markers - 20m
3 markers - 30m, etc.
Very easy to understand or to explain to a new crew.
Previously, with paint, used the same system, but with separate bands, e.g. 4 yellow bands at 40m.
Old 29-01-2017, 09:10   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlib2 View Post
I have a hand held remote control for my windlass that incorporates a chain counter. Quite economical and one of my better purchases as I was continually replacing non operating foot switches.
I had remotes on two boats, really like them. Never had the luxury of a counter though.
People seem to have success with zip ties, I didn't, they broke off pretty fast for me. Maybe my Wildcat fit too well! Once I used fluorescent orange and green yarn (the kind sold for fishing lures) It worked pretty well. But paint worked fine for me.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 10:18   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I didn't even install the foot switches that came with the windlass on this boat, I have not had positive experiences with them in the past. I bought a cheap remote on Amazon and it has been perfect.

However the paint has not worked for me and we are not even full time yet, I am sure then it won't stay long, I have seen pieces of tape used and even some plastic markers made for this purpose, but understand they don't stay either.
This string you guys talk about, what is it, have a link?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 12:26   #19

You mean Yarn? buy poly yarn. Flourescent available at fishing lure stores.. paint does have to be redone maybe yearly on the first few marks you use a lot. I paint about a foot long each color.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MirageFluo12.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	140348  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 13:23   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I didn't even install the foot switches that came with the windlass on this boat, I have not had positive experiences with them in the past. I bought a cheap remote on Amazon and it has been perfect.

However the paint has not worked for me and we are not even full time yet, I am sure then it won't stay long, I have seen pieces of tape used and even some plastic markers made for this purpose, but understand they don't stay either.
This string you guys talk about, what is it, have a link?
After years of experimentation, we've settled on use of string of different colours for our markers. We take a length of ~a meter and weave it through t he links, leaving a short length loose at each end. These are easily seen, and have been far more durable than any other system we've tried. The marking system that you chose is whatever works for your memory.

The type of string doesn't matter too much. We are using coloured dacron purchased from a chandlery,but that yarn would likely do just as well.

Jim
Old 29-01-2017, 13:31   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddythetwig View Post
Ok, I really feel stupid asking this question, but I've spent some time thinking about it... My new to me Contest 40 came with a length of anchor chain, but I don't know how long it is. Is there a good method to measure the length? I was thinking maybe weighing it would be the best bet.
Does the boat have a windlass? these generally run at a very steady pace. After establishing the rate (lower a know length and time it), run out the full length while watching a stop watch. You'll be done in less than a minute.

Yes, you should mark the chain too.
Old 29-01-2017, 13:34   #22

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
After years of experimentation, we've settled on use of string of different colours for our markers. We take a length of ~a meter and weave it through t he links, leaving a short length loose at each end. These are easily seen, and have been far more durable than any other system we've tried. The marking system that you chose is whatever works for your memory.

The type of string doesn't matter too much. We are using coloured dacron purchased from a chandlery,but that yarn would likely do just as well.

Jim
Jim, just a quick question, do you find that just weaving the string is adequate or do you have to fasten it to the chain?
Cheers

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 13:40   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Jim, just a quick question, do you find that just weaving the string is adequate or do you have to fasten it to the chain?
Cheers
We just weave it back and forth through the links. If it begins to un-weave itself, I just stop the windlass as the errant bit is on deck and re-weave it. Doesn't happen very often, and we've only lost one bit in quite a few years of usage. Works for us!

Jim
Old 29-01-2017, 13:43   #24

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
We just weave it back and forth through the links. If it begins to un-weave itself, I just stop the windlass as the errant bit is on deck and re-weave it. Doesn't happen very often, and we've only lost one bit in quite a few years of usage. Works for us!

Jim
Jim, thanks. Simple and elegant and about to be used on mine.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 15:21   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'm going to give the string thing a try, I have lots of bright orange cave line. I painted in different colors, red, white and blue, but I don't think it matters that much, just count how many strings go by should work too.
The paint has not lasted, it was cheap spray paint though
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 16:01   #26

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

When we were trying paint, we primed, then painted. Still, it just wet sands off from moving through the bottoms. Discouraging. I think you'll like the string, Pilot, it's dead simple, and if it gets stained, you can replace it.

Ann
Old 29-01-2017, 17:12   #27

Boat: 50 Bene

I would be careful using line woven into the links. The previous owner of our boat did that and while easy to see it will hold saltwater and rust your chain. Especially towards the bottom of the chain locker. We had 300 feet of 3/8 bbb chain and we can only use about 120ft due to significant rust where each line was woven in. Basically the whole rode is garbage, looking into replacing or fixing it now. Any thoughts or ideas on how to fix it? We are in the JAX area. We currently use colored zip ties and are happy. We keep a bag of them tied next to the wash down hose in case we need to replace them. So far none have come off.

Cheers
Will
Old 29-01-2017, 17:25   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper4730 View Post
I would be careful using line woven into the links. The previous owner of our boat did that and while easy to see it will hold saltwater and rust your chain. Especially towards the bottom of the chain locker. We had 300 feet of 3/8 bbb chain and we can only use about 120ft due to significant rust where each line was woven in. Basically the whole rode is garbage, looking into replacing or fixing it now. Any thoughts or ideas on how to fix it? We are in the JAX area. We currently use colored zip ties and are happy. We keep a bag of them tied next to the wash down hose in case we need to replace them. So far none have come off.

Cheers
Will
Interesting, but not noted during our years of usage.

Jim
Old 29-01-2017, 18:38   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper4730 View Post

Cheers
Will
http://www.campbellchainandfittings....pair-lap-links
Old 29-01-2017, 18:42   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I'm not sure why you posted this link. The joiners shown are NOT full strength, and should NEVER be used in an anchor chain.

Jim