Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2016, 16:49   #16

Boat: Sceptre 36
Re: Maxwell 800 Windlass Slips

Took it apart again today with the manufacturers diagram in hand. All was as it should be, nothing missing. Removed all traces of dirt and grease. Will go out and test soon. It should work!
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 17:14   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW:

With our larger VCW1500, I've found that after following the service instructions, which stipulate putting a light film of grease on the clutch cone faces, I get similar slipping. Removal of the grease fixes our problem, but then the clutch tends to seize when not used for a while. Since we normally use power down rather than releasing the clutch, this can be problem on the rare occasions we wand to free fall the anchor.

So far, I have not found a good compromise...

Jim
Old 17-06-2016, 17:30   #18

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
FWIW:

With our larger VCW1500, I get similar slipping. Removal of the grease fixes our problem, but then the clutch tends to seize when not used for a while. Since we normally use power down rather than releasing the clutch, this can be problem on the rare occasions we wand to free fall the anchor.
Jim
Similar problem, we lift our dinghy with the windlass. You need to use the capstan so the cones need to slip when you loosen the cap, they don't always.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 19:57   #19

Boat: O'Day sloop 34'

I recently went through this on My Catalina 42 with the same, VM 800, windlass. My symptoms were EXACTLY like yours. I removed the motor, two bolts, didn't have to do anything with the gearbox. There is a 5 millimeter roll pin at the end of the motor shaft where it goes into the gearbox. On mine the pin broke and was slipping. If I pulled the anchor and chain up by hand the windlass would take up the slack, but slipped under load. I had to jury rig it but West Marine ordered the pin, approximately $5.00, and it is as good as new. The pin is not in their catalog or on-line but WM staff can find it on their computer.
Flibbertigibbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 16:36   #20

Thank you all for your input. I have cleaned the entire unit and removed all grease. If this fails, I will pull the motor and check for broken parts.
Old 20-06-2016, 15:15   #21

Have been in touch with Will Vrooman at Vetus Maxwell. Most helpful but still came up slipping. In an email yesterday (yes Sunday work mail) he suggested I feel the top of the Clutch Nut and if it was not flush with the chain wheel, put a washer under the Clutch Nut as the nut is bottoming out on the shaft.

Tested everything today and it slipped big time. Would not even haul the weight of the chain without 20kg Rocna. Did as Will Vrooman suggested and VOILA!! pulled everything and even pulled the anchor over the bow roller! PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Tags
windlass, wind, maxwell