Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 21:21   #1

Boat: Mason 33 and a Nordic Folkboat (wooden)
Manual to Electric Upgrade - G3 Chain OK?

I'm scrambling for a quick answer to this one:

We have an ABI Manual Windlass on our bow anchor (a 45# Manson Supreme which we love) with 250' of 5/16" "G3" (G30) chain. We need the chain b/c of routine deep anchorages out at Catalina Island, and immediate plans to sail the coral rich South Pacific.

Being of (a) aging bodies, (b) declining back and upper body strength, and (c) wanting few excuses to NOT reanchor when conditions dictate that as prudence and (d) we have the battery bank to support it......we want to upgrade to an electric windlass.

We have selected the Lofrans Tigres after much research, etc.

None of the above is my question -- the question is -- do I run this new windlass on our old G3 chain, or am I now looking at replacing the old chain with HT or BBB b/c that is what the windlass chain wheel wants?

I have sent a private email to GordMay, with hopes that he involves GMac if needed -- but I have an opportunity to get an excellent deal on a still in the box Lofrans Tigres winch, but there is the question of what size chain wheel.......................
Old 04-08-2009, 03:12   #2

You must have a gypsy that matches the chain or the other way round.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:30   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I suspect you're out of luck, but I'd ask IMTRA.

North American High Test (G40) and Proof Coil (G30) chains have “nearly” the same dimensions (inside length & width), excepting wire diameter. There is also an NACM "Short Link" Chain.

Perhaps GMac can provide the dimensions for 5/16" ISO "G3" chain (wire diameter, & inside length & width.

NACM Chain Specifications (see the tables for dimensions):
http://www.nacm.info/Downloads/NACM_Welded.pdf

Lofrans Windlass Gypsy (chain wheel) Chart:
http://www.imtra.com/downloadTypes/L...heel_chart.pdf

Important Note:
The above chainwheels are designed to fit short link chain only; BBB, ISO spec, etc. to maximize the number of pockets and gripping. Chain is manufactured by many sources. It is critical to match the chain to the chainwheel, therefore please be careful when sizing. Imtra only offers short link chain, BBB and ISO Spec. Do not use NACM spec chain as these have longer links and will not work in a windlass. Non-ISO chain sizes like NACM spec or miss-matching the chain and gypsy may allow the chain to skip in or jump from the gypsy pockets.

Older Models:

If you have an older Lofrans model, we are likely to have replacement wheels available.
Please contact Imtra by phone (508/995-7000)
or by email (info@imtra.com)
for assistance sourcing the right wheel for your windlass.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 16:21   #4

Boat: Mason 33 and a Nordic Folkboat (wooden)
You are right - am out of luck -- took chain segment over to local guy who knows lots, and we can prove, via measuring, won't work. New chain ordered, now old for sale on local craigslist. Settled on Lofrans Tigres and 5/16" HT