Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 14:03   #1

Boat: Beneteau 49 - WAKADUI
Manual Recovery for Lewmar V4 / V5 Windlass

Has anyone added, or currently have, the manual recovery option on their Lewmar V4/V5 windlass? I recently discovered the hard way that my windlass does not have a manual recovery function without the optional part (Lewmar part # 66840005. It runs for approx $200.)

Todd
Old 18-10-2010, 11:09   #2

Boat: Beneteau 49 - WAKADUI
FYI...

Finally got through to Lewmar. Found the part number and description. The following is a copy of email correspondance from Lewmar and attached PDF showing the manual device...

"It is not something you install once and then leave on the windlass. You will only install it when you need it. It is simple to operate, a slight dismantling of the windlass attaching this piece and away you go. You might want to consider it especially if you have a large anchor and a good amount of chain."
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Windlass.pdf (434.8 KB, 755 views)
Old 24-10-2010, 21:42   #3

Boat: Endurance 35 Pilothouse Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to Eco Voyager Send a message via Skype™ to Eco Voyager
I am looking at getting the same manual kit here in Australia which also fits their H3 anchor winch which I have.

I was stunned when i asked the importer their wholesale price (I work for boatshed so can get wholsale prices). They want A$450 for it. I really don't know why evewrything is so muvch dearer here ie more than double your price in USA.

When I questioned them as to why the winch does not have the manual option fitted as standard they said they mainly supply to the cheap production market where the builders want to make boats as cheap as possible. Hmmmm! Another good reason to avoid modern day production boats.

They also suggested that once fitted with the manual kit you can run the winch on power or manually. The kit comprises of a pawl and ratchet gearing that fits into the cone as well as the lever.

Anyway I am going to keep my old manual winch and have both side by side rather than pay that much money and have to change the kit each time i need to swap from power to manual.
Colin
Eco Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lewmar, manual windlass