Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2017, 07:08   #16

Boat: Leopard 39
Re: Mantus Versus Fortress...... The Ultimate Lawnmower Test :)

I will be docking to one side only, and for the purposes of holding Her off the dock fenders when a tropical storm might push her against them, I will be using a large breast anchor, possibly two. In researching holding powers of different anchors, I found the bottom substrate to be a deciding factor. I'll be anchoring in mud, and the Fortress anchor demonstrates the best holding power for that in the tests I've read. It also can be easily disassembled for flat storage, and has two fluke angle settings, one at 45 degrees for maximal hold in mud. The Mantus is a good all-around anchor. That's an awfully small one he's got there; and btw, who WAS that masked man?
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 11:02   #17

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
...I might find this video to be humorous as well, except for the fact that there are those who might believe it's legitimate.
Certainly no better, but possibly not much worse than some of the advertising hype from some manufacturers??? Fortress, some of your own videos were so bad they might have been made by the opposition too; great anchor, sales hype not so much.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 12:08   #18

Fortress/Danforth style anchors are easily the most popular where I live, but that's because that's a great anchor for our mud/sand bottom. Where you anchor makes all the difference in the world. I carry one, and a Mantus.
Old 15-10-2017, 21:30   #19

Boat: Fantasia 35

Very disappointed with this thread. I have read all the posts looking for that side-splitting LOL comment. I didn't even get a little chuckle. Fudge!!!
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 23:00   #20

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
Very disappointed with this thread. I have read all the posts looking for that side-splitting LOL comment. I didn't even get a little chuckle. Fudge!!!
That is because you were chained to a mooring in the road in stead. Actually, despite the lack of humor we all knew Mantus did not have a prayer until it hit a snag. The Fortress held its ground quite well, after all it is not a plough. Did you not read the one by the guy who said the real dirt was on the Fortress? I could go on, but my audience voted and absolute no, and threatened to chain me to the machine if I did. Anyway, I covered the full scope of the topic. BTW, that was not fudge or sand, it was dehydrated mud, a substance infrequently seen at sea.

Old 16-10-2017, 04:49   #21

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Does this help..??

The one time when having your anchor drag might be a good thing...

Old 16-10-2017, 05:22   #22
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Anchor threads and anchor tests can be a little boring at times for those who are not interested. They can also become a little silly. I think this YouTube poster is serious, but who knows. He is at least very amusing.
I skipped to the pulling part and didn't have the audio on, but I liked it. If the only thing you get on of it was just how fast the Mantus set it was worth it. Far as the Fortress not being set right or having the mud tabs on it, the ones I see hanging on bows mostly seem to be just like the one in the video (I have no doubt that it is a great holding anchor once set).
Old 16-10-2017, 06:13   #23
Sponsoring Vendor

Maybe a bit more practical video, from Distant Shores TV and with almost 175k viewers:

Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 07:08   #24

Quote:
Yep. Fertile ground wasted!
Old 07-10-2021, 15:39   #25
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
As Thinwater mentioned, the Fortress was erroneously set at the 45 degree angle for soft mud. We put two warning labels over the holes in the Crown, where the shank fluke angle adjustment is made, which state "soft mud only," and he ignored them.

He also didn't install the Mud Palms, which lift the back end of the anchor up so that the Flukes take a more aggressive angle into the sea bottom. He ignored our advice in the assembly instructions to permanently install them as well.

I might find this video to be humorous as well, except for the fact that there are those who might believe it's legitimate.
The Fortress is clearly the superior anchor in sand and mud. As noted above, the angle was set wrong.

However, the Fortress may not be the best choice for a primary anchor if you are in an area with weed and hard bottoms. The Mantus is superior as a primary anchor. The Fortress shines in sand and mud in a blow. If you know a big blow is coming, get out the Fortress.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 16:14   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I thought this dog had died in 2017????
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fortress, Mantus