Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2015, 18:41   #31

Boat: PSC Orion 27
Re: Mantus anchors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettw View Post
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...at-131169.html

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 19:00   #32

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post

I'm just giving him some good natured teasing. I think Nolex has also dragged with his Mantus when the bottom was bad.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 19:21   #33

OTE=evm1024;1733809]A 60', 60,000 lbs displacement boat would do fine with a 125 lbs mantus in any condition. I would only go to the larger anchor if I were going to high latitudes and wanted an extra margin of safety.

I'm of the school where if people are not pointing at your anchor and laughing then it is too small. But that is just me. I'm using an 85 lbs mantus on my 50', 32,000 pound boat. I'll switch up to a 105 when I take off for a few years cruise.

I also tell people that my boat is a working boat not a work of art. Of course it is a Gulfstar and

That the mantus breaks down, and you can carry replacement parts (spares), and setting the first time are very important to me.

The 125 pound mantus comes in stainless too. they are works of art and quite pleasing to look at.

Disclaimer: I started as a mantus customer, now I am a distributor. I've owned a Rocna, and a Manson (and a delta and who knows what else) but think that the mantus sets faster and deeper.[/QUOTE]

I have a 105 pound mantis currently on my boat. It is a bit large for my bow pulpit if you were interested I would swap it straight up for your 85
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 19:23   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
A 60', 60,000 lbs displacement boat would do fine with a 125 lbs mantus in any condition. I would only go to the larger anchor if I were going to high latitudes and wanted an extra margin of safety.

I'm of the school where if people are not pointing at your anchor and laughing then it is too small. But that is just me. I'm using an 85 lbs mantus on my 50', 32,000 pound boat. I'll switch up to a 105 when I take off for a few years cruise.

I also tell people that my boat is a working boat not a work of art. Of course it is a Gulfstar and

That the mantus breaks down, and you can carry replacement parts (spares), and setting the first time are very important to me.

The 125 pound mantus comes in stainless too. they are works of art and quite pleasing to look at.

Disclaimer: I started as a mantus customer, now I am a distributor. I've owned a Rocna, and a Manson (and a delta and who knows what else) but think that the mantus sets faster and deeper.

I have a 105 pound mantis currently on my boat. It is a bit large for my bow pulpit if you were interested I would swap it straight up for your 85
Where are you or rather where is the anchor? I'm in PDX USA
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 19:44   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Of course not... :-)

I thought I made it clear that I see little significant distinction between the Delta and the Excel, based solely on the photographs I've seen... And, I've conceded there may be some major difference between the 2 that I'm missing...

And, judging from the pics I've posted above, I'm guessing there might be a few others who might have a similar impression...

I'm sure the Excel is a very fine anchor, and no doubt an improvement over the Delta... it's simply that - to my eye - the basic designs appear to be share more than just a bit of similarity...
A vw beetle looks a lot like a porsche to me as well.
Factor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 20:08   #36

Quote:
Where are you or rather where is the anchor? I'm in PDX USA
i am in south florida, Hollywood just south of ft lauderdale
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 21:26   #37
cruiser

Quote:
I'm just giving him some good natured teasing. I think Nolex has also dragged with his Mantus when the bottom was bad.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 23:39   #38

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
A 60', 60,000 lbs displacement boat would do fine with a 125 lbs mantus in any condition. I would only go to the larger anchor if I were going to high latitudes and wanted an extra margin of safety.

I also tell people that my boat is a working boat not a work of art. Of course it is a Gulfstar and not an Oyster.
I have a similar size boat (47' 30k dspl) and was going to get an 85lb Mantus. What is making you want something bigger? Does it not do its job well? I found that the 85lb is on the heavy side of our boats compared to Ronca and Manson weight tables. I think the 105lb would be slight overkill considering how effective these anchors are over say the same size CQR.

- Ronnie...on the geaux
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 05:18   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
It is nice to see a good natured anchor thread

To set the record straight, my Mantus anchor has never dragged after setting (and it has only failed to set the first time on 3 occasions, a great record).

However, it is important to realise that any anchor can drag. On one set this year I dropped the Mantus on this sheer rock substrate. This was one of the occasions when it failed to set on the first drop. The bottom looked like nice sand from the surface, but it was actually smooth sand coloured rock. See photo below:

It does not take much imagination to envisage the anchor jamming in a crevice and holding the full setting force, but with a slight change in wind direction losing its grip and dragging, even at low windspeed.

This is the reason I am keen on anchor alarms even for those boats with the best anchoring gear.

Where an anchor does need to be severely marked down, is if it drags in a reasonable substrate with adequate scope and no debris etc, like this Delta did:

noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 06:37   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Why mess up the look of your bow with an ugly roll bar style anchor that's rapidly becoming obsolete.
The Ultra anchor is gorgeous, perhaps even sexy .

However, an anchor's true "beauty" should be judged when it is performing on the seabed.

This is how a "beautiful" anchor looks after setting. When the wind is forecast to blow and the rocks are close this is the sort of beauty that is needed. My Mantus in the last anchorage:

Old 27-01-2015, 06:55   #41

Boat: Oyster 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
The Ultra anchor is gorgeous, perhaps even sexy .

However, an anchor's true "beauty" should be judged when it is performing on the seabed.

This is how a "beautiful" anchor looks after setting. When the wind is forecast to blow and the rocks are close this is the sort of beauty that is needed. My Mantus in the last anchorage:

That last picture is so perfect, it almost looks fake. I assume you are using an underwater camera for those shots? Which kind?

Thanks.

Dhillen
Old 27-01-2015, 07:49   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes the water is so clear here it almost looks like the photo was taken on a beach, rather than underwater.

The camera has been great. It is an Olympus TG2. The camera is waterproof to 15m, but I use in a waterproof housing as well.

I have my eye on one of these ROVs for next winter when it gets too cold to dive every day. It is under $1000, and it would be a great tool, and a bit of fun, especially for those parts of the world where diving is impractical:

Old 27-01-2015, 08:10   #43

Boat: Oyster 53

Holy smokes! The first one I think I can fit on the boat. The second one, not so sure.

Thanks.

Dhillen
Old 27-01-2015, 08:30   #44
cruiser

Why not just wear a wet suit? I know the answer... you want a new toy

We have our eye on a video drone, you're just looking at the underwater version of the same thing.

Here's the final picture taken of our anchor last season before the Gopro flooded. Not a bad set considering the yellow float is attached to a 5ft steel cable connected to the top of the anchor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0114.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	96128  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 10:09   #45

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

Can you fit that little underwater drone with an attachment to clean your Hull/unfoul a prop? :-P

Sent from my C5215 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Mantus