Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2016, 08:32   #1

Boat: Tartan 4100
Mantus Anchor Swivel

I just responded to an old post: (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...l-95444-8.html)

BUT..... I figured most won't want to re-read through 8 pages of drivel....so here's my question:::::

Has anyone had any experience or maybe an opinion of the Mantus anchor swivel? http://www.mantusanchors.com/mantus-swivel/
It seems to address many of the shortcomings of inferior swivels and claims to have "eliminated" the side loading issue. It uses a captive oblong pin that increases the strength while being able to fit small chain links. Interesting.

My interest in swivels is to help orient the anchor as it approaches the bow roller, as I single hand and everything to make it easier helps!
Thanks,
Tom
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:49   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Mantus Anchor Swivel

I have one, and I'm impressed, but I am no expert.
I ran my own safety wire though, .041 and used two separate pieces, both would have to break for it to fall apart, if there is a weak link, in my opinion the wire is it.
But it does appear to be mega strong.

Oh, it does not orient the anchor, I have to use a boat hook for that, I often let my anchor drag just under water at idle to clean off the mud and my Rocna always comes up upside down if I do that
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:08   #3

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I ran my own safety wire though, .041 and used two separate pieces, both would have to break for it to fall apart, if there is a weak link, in my opinion the wire is it.

Oh, it does not orient the anchor, I have to use a boat hook for that, I often let my anchor drag just under water at idle to clean off the mud and my Rocna always comes up upside down if I do that
I looks like a beautiful piece of work. Should I be concerned about SS in the system?

My Rocna also comes up backward if I drag it going forward so I ask Marcy to go idle reverse until it looks clean and it come up right side up almost every time.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:22   #4

I was a little concerned as well about the seizing wire holding things together but it looks like there are a total of four wraps on the critical part (the cone), so I guess there's redundancy on it.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:23   #5
cruiser

Some of the eight pages of "drivel" contained useful, well thought information. Do you expect us to rewrite everything, just because you don't feel like reading through eight pages of "drivel?"

We use an Ultra swivel. Expensive, but sometimes in life... "You get what you pay for."
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Some of the eight pages of "drivel" contained useful, well thought information. Do you expect us to rewrite everything, just because you don't feel like reading through eight pages of "drivel?"
You missed what I said......I said that "most" wouldn't want to re-read it all (meaning the average person). I read it all but no one mentioned the Mantus and I thought I would truncate the whole process and ask specifically about the Mantus.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

We use an Ultra swivel. Expensive, but sometimes in life... "You get what you pay for."
And......I apologize for using the word "drivel" since, you're right, there was some useful info and opinions (even though much was repetitive)
Old 06-04-2016, 09:52   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Ultra is what I think I would like as I believe it will "flip" the anchor upright, if so then I could do the whole weigh anchor thing myself and never have to leave the Helm, but I think I remember pricing one and decided I didn't have to have it, maybe after I'm through buying watermakers and a few other items.

The Mantus, there is plenty of room for a ridiculous amount of wire if you like, I did double wraps of .041 aircraft safety wire on both sides, separate pieces as I think that is plenty, it shipped with much smaller wire, maybe .030, and only enough I believe for a single wrap on each side, I think?
Old 07-04-2016, 11:29   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

The Rocna comes up upside down because that's how it's balanced.

You do really need a swivel with a Rocna anchor. I had a 121 pound Rocna anchor for a few years -- it was like wrestling a steer to get it into my bow roller.

So you actually have a Mantus swivel? I thought they were vaporware still. Did you take it apart? Can you post photos of its insides?

I am eager to see one in person. In my opinion, the safety wire is by far the best way to secure the shackle pin, at least if you ever intend to take it off (otherwise welding the pin is better ). The key thing about it is that it is totally simple to inspect, so you always know whether it's holding up or not.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:04   #10

Boat: Formosa 41

I have a Mantus swivel. Ordered it in Fall of 2014, got it after the first of the year in 2015.

I like it. Weak link is that the seizing wire holds it together.

Keep it seized with extra wire as mentioned above.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:11   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The S1 and S2 have been available for a while, S3 is not I don't think.
I won't be at the boat til next weekend, this weekend is ACT testing for the Daughter, but the Mantus website has good description of the thing and a scaled drawing.
Mantus Anchors | Mantus Swivel - Mantus Anchors
Video shows it pretty well, and at the bottom of the page there are links to a .pdf drawing of it, the S2 for a 5/16 really is a monster. I wasn't kidding when I said it was the size of my fist and may weigh 4 or 5 lbs too.

Oh, I believe it is cast, not forged, lord knows how much it could hold if it were forged.
To me it's very reasonably priced, some are not.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:16   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
The S1 and S2 have been available for a while, S3 is not I don't think.
I won't be at the boat til next weekend, this weekend is ACT testing for the Daughter, but the Mantus website has good description of the thing and a scaled drawing.
Mantus Anchors | Mantus Swivel - Mantus Anchors
Video shows it pretty well, and at the bottom of the page there are links to a .pdf drawing of it, the S2 for a 5/16 really is a monster. I wasn't kidding when I said it was the size of my fist and may weigh 4 or 5 lbs too.

Oh, I believe it is cast, not forged, lord knows how much it could hold if it were forged.
To me it's very reasonably priced, some are not.
If you have time and feel like it, why don't you take it apart and photograph the insides?

The dreadful Mantus website (he really needs some help with that) doesn't have any drawings which explain the inner workings.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 07-04-2016, 12:28   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Maybe Jason can, I'll be away.
Have you watched this video?

Dis-assembly is as simple as screwing the outer cover off, you have to take it apart to connect it to the chain
Old 07-04-2016, 12:56   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Maybe Jason can, I'll be away.
Have you watched this video?

Dis-assembly is as simple as screwing the outer cover off, you have to take it apart to connect it to the chain
Hah! That's absolutely brilliant. They just copied the swivel part of the Kong, its best feature. The screwed-down outer casing to secure both ends is a stroke of brilliance.

Absolutely beautiful device. What elegant mechanical engineering. It looks to me that that just blows away everything else on the market.

It won't get through my anchor roller I'm afraid, so I wont' be having one, but fortunately, I don't need a swivel.
Walt Whitman
Old 07-04-2016, 19:11   #15

Boat: Krogen 42

I just installed the S2 this morning. Since I had 30 year old Chinese chain that was prior to standards I had to file the edge of the weld on two links to get the chain to fit the unit. I'll let you know how it works after using over the next few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
anchor, Mantus