Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2013, 06:37   #31

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Mantus anchor or Rocna ?

I forgot Rocna was owned by CMP, which is a Canadian company.

When I mentioned above that we had a "Canadian" Rocna, I meant we have one manufactured 6 years ago by a company in British Columbia that Rocna was using to produce anchors for North America.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 07:01   #32

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Canada Metal Pacific (CMP) Acquires Rocna Anchors posted on September 27, 2011

News » Rocna Anchors
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 06:22   #33
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ericson 38-200, 38 feet

Guys ----
St. Petersburg Power & Sailboat Show 2013
Come and join we will have tons of giveaways and our usual but crazy boat show discount
Mantus Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 14:31   #34

We have 65lb Mantus on our 42 foot Hunter Passage and just LOVE it! It sets first time every time! Just like in the video on there home page!
I will add a link so you can watch the comparison your self!

http://mantusanchors.com/test-video/
Our Way Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 15:51   #35
cruiser

Well some are asking about the boss, (performance) Greg has your answer, it appears to me that none of the anchors tested other than Mantus work at all to well? Great videos, some on this forum have stated they have a Rocna, and have never dragged, the video makes a mockery of that satment, some that allready have a Rocna also have now bought a Mantus, either they believe the videos, they are drqagging, or they are not happy with their Rocna's for some reason and Gregs videos explain why.

Regards Rex.
congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 16:02   #36

[QUOTE=noelex 77;1392029]I have seen very few objective reports on the Boss. The lack of positive feedback is surprising. It is a new anchor and I would not dismiss it yet, but the roll bar anchors are very well proven and at the top of the anchoring hierarchy and that is what I would buy.
Can you share what you read on the Boss?

I read of more then one occurrence of a boat swinging through the night and the shackle slid down and pulled the anchor out. One boat actually dragged about 200 feet before it straightened itself out and reset. Now, of course it's supposed to slide down for easy removal...but not while asleep at night. In one instance the bolt that is to hold the shackle in place actually sheared off. Another is that the little patented anti slide washer becomes useless very quick as it deforms easily when tightened up.

Im not slamming the Boss by any means. I think it seems like an awsome anchor. I just don't have and endless budget to find out by trial and error. When I put it on paper there was just a few more cons then pros to it for my peace of mind.

That being said, my Rocna is on it's way. I hope I made the right decision.
EighthWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 21:13   #37

Boat: Niagara 35
Eighth wonder, The preventer bolt is simple and solid. I don't believe for a second that any are shearing. Can you quote a source for this information?
Old 21-11-2013, 02:05   #38
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Eighth Wonder

There are very few user reports, at least on this Forum, of the use of the Boss and for you to have identified so many reports of self tripping and reports of bolts shearing (one wonders of the force necessary to allow this to happen?) suggests you live in an area where they are exceptionally popular. Possibly you can detail how they perform otherwise as a simple high tensile bolt would overcome the issue you describe.

I am sure you will be happy with your Rocna and hope you followed the Bigger is Better thread prior to making your choice. You are in good company and already appear to much in common.

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 03:41   #39

Rats!
I KNEW I should have kept those links! Apologies. I'll dig around...again!
Old 21-11-2013, 06:37   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJo View Post
Eighth Wonder

There are very few user reports, at least on this Forum, of the use of the Boss and for you to have identified so many reports of self tripping and reports of bolts shearing (one wonders of the force necessary to allow this to happen?) suggests you live in an area where they are exceptionally popular. Possibly you can detail how they perform otherwise as a simple high tensile bolt would overcome the issue you describe.
There was a post about this a while ago from nigel1:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
I purchased a Manson Boss earlier this year, and chose to use the option of having the shackle in the fixed position.
Having secured the locking bolt as tight as possible, I was a little disappointed to see the bolt drop off as the shank came over the roller after my first night at anchor.
Then spent the next 5 weeks anchoring having to use the slot (I was in Ireland and not able to find a correct sized replacement)
I was concerned about the anchor tripping out, especially in places like Youghal where the tide reverses twice a day with rates up to 4 knots, but the boat never dragged so something was working.
When I got home, I emailed Manson, and they were good enough to send a replacement bolt, and in reply, stated that the nut and bolt were of an improved design.
Unfortunately, when the replacement reached my house, the packaging was damaged and the nut was missing, so I never got to see what the improvement was.
I was not totally satisfied with the washers supplied, looked awfully thin, and when the nut was hardened up, the washers ended up being deformed in the slot.
I fitted thicker washers, and a nyloc nut, and so far it has remained secure
As the slot can be reliably blocked off (from what I understand) with a larger bolt I don't feel it is great problem. However, I don't feel it is safe to anchor overnight (when there is a risk of a change in the direction of pull) without blocking off the rock slot so I would make this small modification to the Boss.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 08:02   #41

I did see that post.
For me its just one little weak spot that I don't want to think about with an anchor I've spent $1500 on.

But that's just me...
Old 21-11-2013, 13:32   #42
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
There was a post about this a while ago from nigel1:

As the slot can be reliably blocked off (from what I understand) with a larger bolt I don't feel it is great problem. However, I don't feel it is safe to anchor overnight (when there is a risk of a change in the direction of pull) without blocking off the rock slot so I would make this small modification to the Boss.

As I said there are few user reports of the Boss, this is one (only). Whereas it has not to be ignored it is statistically weak to suggest this report is the norm. When we get 10 such reports it might then be considered the norm in the interim its like bent Supreme Toes, unusual.

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 13:43   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by EighthWonder View Post
I did see that post.
For me its just one little weak spot that I don't want to think about with an anchor I've spent $1500 on.

But that's just me...
Holy crap! You just spent $1,500 bucks on an anchor? We better get busy get busy over on the open source anchor project. It's insane to me that people have to spend that much money on an anchor-shaped piece of steel because they have no existing alternative like a free design they can get made local.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 13:57   #44

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by EighthWonder View Post
I read of more then one occurrence of a boat swinging through the night and the shackle slid down and pulled the anchor out. One boat actually dragged about 200 feet before it straightened itself out and reset. Now, of course it's supposed to slide down for easy removal...but not while asleep at night. In one instance the bolt that is to hold the shackle in place actually sheared off. Another is that the little patented anti slide washer becomes useless very quick as it deforms easily when tightened up.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you've claimed knowledge of multiple cases of the preventer bolt failing, including dragging anchors as a result. These are serious claims that will now sit here on the intergoogle and get repeated as if true.

We do have nigel1's experience of the nut coming loose and the preventer falling overboard. He also didn't like the washer so he replaced it. This is a long, long ways from your claims.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 14:25   #45

[QUOTE=cwyckham;1396841]I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you've claimed knowledge of multiple cases of the preventer bolt failing, including dragging anchors as a result.

Claiming "knowledge"? I have no first hand knowledge at all. I've simply explained that my reasons for going with the Rocna were helped along by accounts I've read elsewhere in the great world wide web of other anchors that have let people down. As great as CruisersForum is, believe it or not, it's not the only source of information in the boating world.
I've spent the summer reading and researching...(mainly for myself) and have shared what I've come across. As with Nigels post, I give stalk to the others I have read elsewhere as well.

And to the other...yep! By the time I'm done with shipping and taxes...blah blah blah...my 88lb Rocna was about $1500. Sometimes I think dropping a 50 gallon drum of concrete off the side with my crane would have been better!! ;-)

For those of you with hurt feelings... I thought this was a pro-Rocna thread? lol

Tags
anchor, Mantus, rocna, mantus