Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2019, 06:24   #91

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Mantus Anchor on Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith_adelaide View Post
With only my wife and I on board, just have to hope our windlass never fails.
“Fit the largest anchor your boat can comfortably manage” is one of the best sizing philosophies for a long distance cruising boat.

The subject of anchor size has been discussed at length on other threads, but my view is a larger anchor has advantages apart from the greater holding power. It expands the areas where anchoring is practical by allowing anchoring at shorter scopes, or in areas where the protection is less or the substrate more marginal. Given that most of the weight will be in the chain, this is a significant increase in ability for a relatively small increase in the total ground tackle weight. However, the boat must be able to manage the anchoring gear comfortably.

For a 50 foot cruising boat, if the anchor winch fails, any reasonable primary anchor is not likely to be manageable by hand with a husband and wife crew. I would not try to err on the smaller size because of this factor. Fortunately, sailing boats have sheet and halyard winches that are usually more powerful than the anchor winch. These provide an excellent (if slow) back up. Using these winches is inconvenient, but the weight of anchor is not likely to have much practical impact on the operation.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:24   #92

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith_adelaide View Post
With only my wife and I on board, just have to hope our windlass never fails. But I'm definitely looking at getting one of these I think. Was hoping not to have to go too heavy but based on the size of your anchor we would have to go a further size up probably.
Here is a link to the Mantus website for sizing your anchor. In my opinion these give a conservatively large anchor. Unless I had a very good reason to upsize, I would go by the Mantus recommendation.

https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-...anchor-sizing/

We have a 49 foot sailboat and purchased an 85 lb anchor. Nothing but good things to say about it.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:59   #93
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
SNIP...

The only caveat is that the Mantus has a longer, more tapered fluke than the Rocna, which together with the wider overall size created by the “wings” means you need to check carefully that the Mantus will fit your bow roller. There will be cases where the Rocna will fit but an identical weight Mantus may not.

SNIP
Fitment of any anchor is quite important. I came across an aspect of the Mantus anchor that I had not anticipated.

Many power boats have a bow roller that works well with a Bruce, Delta or CQR like anchor but are too wide or have other aspects that prevent a Rocna or Manson anchor from fitting.

The Mantus anchor with its wider width (as noted above due to the wings and larger rollbar) in many cases will fit "around" the bow roller quite nicely.

Interesting aspect of the wider Mantus.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Mantus