Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2014, 04:08   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Mantus Anchor on Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannw View Post
How, exactly, does one test an anchor?

And how does one test and compare two virtually identical anchors?

?
It's a good question. I obviously cannot hope to do a traditional anchor test where the anchor is pulled and the load to break out is measured.
However, I anchor almost 365 days a year and have done so for nearly the last 7 years. The last 5½ years have been with a Rocna.

On most occasions I dive (or my wife does, she tolerates cold sea temperatures better) and observe how well the anchor has set, the distance it took to set, how it buried with stronger wind and how well it rotated to change of wind direction and how it compares to other anchors in the anchorage etc.
I know how often my Rocna fails to set the first time and how it performs with a short scope.

I anchor over winter in Med with some pretty ferocious weather at times so its holding will be given a good work out.

Traditional anchor tests are a very valuable tool and take an incredible amount of manpower to do, but they do have limitations. The anchor is only tested on a few bottoms with a short number of pulls. Common bottom types such as weed are not often tested because it takes a large number of trials to get meaningful data. User reports on CF are great, but in many cases the user (with a few valuable exceptions) has updated from an older generation anchor, or at least on a different boat, so it difficult to gauge how the anchor would perform relative to a similar anchor from a different manufacturer.

Anyway, I hope I can provide some meaningful information when I have used the anchor more, but as always the strength of the forum is from the multiple opinions that often arise from this sort thread.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 04:20   #17
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Noelex,

I think the fact you admit and acknowledge the limitations of what you are trying to do is a firm foundation from which to start.

It is impossible to anticipate what you might uncover - we need to be patient (and very patient if we need wait until a Greek winter).

Take care and good luck

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 04:37   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have just been out with the bathoscope to look at the very first anchor set.

I am anchored just outside the marina in dirty murky water by Med standards. So no swimming and only a rather blurry photo taken just from just below the surface via the dingy in 8m of water. Not a good photo, but I thought the anchors christening deserved a shot.

The Mantus has set very well. Its fluke and the whole shank is buried. The anchor has set with a slight list (about 10 degrees) in less than a metre from the drop point.

Overall a great performance, but this is only one result. It is also one of the few anchorages around here where I have not seen the Rocna anchor underwater so I have no direct comparison or good impression of the bottom type which I suspect is bit softer than the very hard sand commonly seen in this area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	79813  
Old 25-04-2014, 19:31   #19
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

As the recent owner of a Mantus, I look forward to reading the updates. Thanks for taking the time.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 20:03   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mantus Anchor on Test

So... how many times over the last few years has this 'Super Anchor' been tested...??

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 07:48   #21

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

I saw it at Strictly Sail Pacific. First time seeing it in person, I didn't realize they were bolt together. I was skeptical of how strong that really makes it, and I thought the size/shape of the thing would be an eye-sore on the front of the boat, and usually the wife is the one picky about that.

Anyhow, thanks for posting. We're looking at upgrading our CQR, but haven't figured out with what yet.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 08:06   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
I saw it at Strictly Sail Pacific. First time seeing it in person, I didn't realize they were bolt together. I was skeptical of how strong that really makes it, and I thought the size/shape of the thing would be an eye-sore on the front of the boat, and usually the wife is the one picky about that.

Anyhow, thanks for posting. We're looking at upgrading our CQR, but haven't figured out with what yet.

With the picky wife ULTRA is probably the best choice - good (as reported) anchor with really good look
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 08:33   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tell your wife that any anchor that will hold you all night when its blowing a storm will look very good in the morning.
Old 26-04-2014, 09:30   #24

The Ultra was nice, but WAY too expensive. It's a friggin anchor.

I didn't like how big the arch was, but everything looks big when it's not mounted on a boat in the water.
Old 26-04-2014, 10:17   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
The Ultra was nice, but WAY too expensive. It's a friggin anchor.

I didn't like how big the arch was, but everything looks big when it's not mounted on a boat in the water.
And what about SPADE?

On the other hand - I think ROCNA on my bow doesn't make harm to the overall look of the boat.
But I must admit - my wife views are rather the same as Noelex'
Well holding is beautiful
Old 26-04-2014, 10:20   #26

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Tell your wife that any anchor that will hold you all night when its blowing a storm will look very good in the morning.
So true
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 11:44   #27

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Oh the humanity! Another anchor test. My best wishes for the definitive outcome.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 02:49   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Oh the humanity! Another anchor test. My best wishes for the definitive outcome.
Surely it will be no definitive outcome, but it will be really good to have a reliable report on the quite new product, resulting from prolonged real world use by experienced sailor
Old 27-04-2014, 04:10   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Nolex,

I suspect what you will see is a slightly faster set with more abruptness and definition as to when it is set. Other than that my Rocna and Mantus perform quite similarly. I prefer the Mantus ever so slightly but the Rocna fits my bow roller better..
Old 27-04-2014, 06:58   #30

I'd like to know if people weld the bolts, or put something on them to keep them from rusting?

I'd like to see how one fails, and how that compares to a similar but welded together anchor. Maybe hook two together and use a tractor to pull them apart until one breaks.

Tags
anchor, Mantus