Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Rock Slot, yes or no.
I like the Rock Slot and think it will help retrieve a jammed anchor and not increase the risk of tripping the anchor. 8 25.00%
I don't like the Rock Slot because it might cause the anchor to trip or other concerns (comment if you like). 11 34.38%
I would buy a Manson Supreme and it fits my boat without modifications 19 59.38%
I would buy a Manson Supreme but it does NOT fit my boat. 6 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2011, 17:25   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Manson Supreme Rock Slot, Part 1

My understanding was that Manson developed the rock slot as a way to circumvent Rocna's patent.
Old 17-05-2011, 17:29   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Don,

Guess I should have done a search. Didn't realize you had already covered this ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I asked the same question about the rock slot a little while ago. Got a lot of "you must be stupid" type of responses.
I can think of so many smarta$$ comments I could make but I will resist. You really shouldn't tempt me with a straight line line this.

Quote:
I do like the trip line idea!
Yes, me too. But see previous comment. Can do it better without the slot.

Quote:
So researched the MS and decided it was probably at least as good. And since I was getting the next size up it didn't matter anyway (the MS 60# was about the same price as the 40# Ronca so it just seemed a no brainer once I got past the market BS that we are all questioning now as being true).
Yep, me too.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 17:54   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
My understanding was that Manson developed the rock slot as a way to circumvent Rocna's patent.
Ah ha.

This may explain their reluctance to consider a non-slot version of the Supreme.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 17:54   #19

Boat: 55' Romsdal

I believe the slot was included because Manson sells a lot of anchors where coral is common, and where coral is common, jamming the anchor so that it can't be hauled straight up is also common. For fishermen anchoring a lot, messing with a trip line isn't appealing, hence the idea of using the main rode for removal of a stuck anchor. I've been anchoring for 35 years in the NW and never had that problem. In Hawaii, we only anchored for a few months so I don't think that was enough experience to form an opinion.

Interestingly, Rocna always trashed the slot in the Manson, until they started making their own, calling it the Fisherman, which is an indication of the market they are going after. And no, they do not have a patent since the Rocna is a copy of the Bugel.

The deeper and stronger shank could be a problem with the Manson in some situations I suppose, but they will send you the dimensions so you can measure and be sure.
Old 17-05-2011, 18:41   #20

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
I believe the slot was included because Manson sells a lot of anchors where coral is common, and where coral is common, jamming the anchor so that it can't be hauled straight up is also common. For fishermen anchoring a lot, messing with a trip line isn't appealing, hence the idea of using the main rode for removal of a stuck anchor. I've been anchoring for 35 years in the NW and never had that problem. In Hawaii, we only anchored for a few months so I don't think that was enough experience to form an opinion.

Interestingly, Rocna always trashed the slot in the Manson, until they started making their own, calling it the Fisherman, which is an indication of the market they are going after. And no, they do not have a patent since the Rocna is a copy of the Bugel.

The deeper and stronger shank could be a problem with the Manson in some situations I suppose, but they will send you the dimensions so you can measure and be sure.
This is a tough time for the Rocna fans, we need to have compassion on those who are still clinging to the promises made in the slick add in 'Sail'....

Good news it that West Marine is accepting ROCNA's back... there is no shame in taking it. It is not charity, it is the money YOU paid in... you should not hang your head when you go in to return your Rocna.... (just call ahead) to make sure they have the Manson in stock...
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 19:05   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Manson Supreme Rock Slot, Part 1

Sigh.....YouTube - The Kinks - Dedicated follower of Fashion ( Orig. Promo)

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 19:31   #22

Boat: N/M 45

I purchased a Rocna 25kg from Canada (Suncoast) and it's worked fine on the boat. Fitting it to the anchor roller on the bow required some extra effort in the form of ears welded to the anchor roller that hold the fluke away from the bow pulpit.

If I were purchasing the anchor today, I would purchase the Manson Supreme and NOT use the rock slot - in fact, I would investigate to see if the slot could be removed (probably not worth it, but I don't like the slot, and the extra metal makes the shank stick up above the roller even more than the Rocna, which might make it difficult to finesse the shank beneat the headsail roller furler.

And I attach an anchor ball to the crown of the anchor when I'm concerned about retrieval issues.

- rob/beetle
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 19:36   #23

Boat: TBA

i dont have a MS but do have a SARCA it has a rock slot, (although not the same anchor still fairly similar) have used this anchor for 3 years and never had a problem of it releasing. i get the anchor caught about 15-20% of the time in the areas i anchor (mostly rock and reef) and use this slot on every occasion. have anchored many times for 2-3 days and not ever had to worry, it may have released but reset so i have not even noticed.
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 03:47   #24

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Manson Supreme Rock Slot - Part 1

That's an interesting thought. We might need some video tests of Mansons being pulled out via the rock slot, on a normal cruising scope, simulating a 180-degree tide change -- and how they reset or not as they drag along after that. MaineSail??
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 04:00   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Something that occurred to me when thinking about the posts that suggest not using the slot for the main rode but only to attached a trip line when needed.
This function could be accomplished better, cheaper and more efficiently by the traditional method of putting an eye on the back of the fluke or even attaching a line to the hoop. So, unless you really believe in attaching the main rode to the slot, once again the slot is not an improvement.
Indeed.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 04:29   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC

I have the manson, love it. I do not use the rock slot

one thing missing is a hole at the front of the manson for tandem anchoring. I wonder if the slot could be used for that?
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 04:42   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Manson Supreme Rock Slot - Part 1

Don't see why not.... its high enough to work well....
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
I have the manson, love it. I do not use the rock slot

one thing missing is a hole at the front of the manson for tandem anchoring. I wonder if the slot could be used for that?

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 04:58   #28
CLOD

Boat: none

Really the rock slot for me was just a non-issue either way when I got my Manson Surpreme. I spent no timer in the buying decision considering it as a plus or minus.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 06:21   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post

Actually when I tandem anchor which is very rarely I attach the second anchor directly to the main rode some 20 feet or so away from my primary anchor.

I had no problem with fitting the 45#MS to my Tayana 37.(the anchor rollers are on the external end of the bow pulpit) Never used the rock slot, but I think it could serve a purpose if anchoring in foul waters since that slot would allow for a better variety of pulling angles(leverage) over a fix point to free the anchor. IMHO
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 09:58   #30
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Ive had the MS for about 3 years now and have never used the slot- I tie a line around the hoop if I think Im in a foul bottom- but thats very rare - Best Anchor ive had- It did not fit my Cat , so with about 1/2 hour of work i made it fit nice
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote