Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2012, 19:56   #1

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Manson Supreme just worked SUPREMELY WELL

Wifey and I are on our 40' Silverton aftcabin power boat, completely enclosed with canvas. We are safely held to this anchor spot at CuttyHunk which is part of the Elisabeth Island chain in Massachusetts. I am anchored in about 8' with heavy ell grass growth on the bottom using my 80# Manson Supreme, 5/16 HT chain with a scope of around 7. We have been here now for 3 days.

Tonight around 10PM we had a severe thunder storm. I cared less for the lightening, thunder and rain that had been going on for almost 30 minutes. But then the storm became no play thing! The rain was almost the same as solid water falling from the sky. AND THE WIND!!!! I don't have anything to measure the wind velocity other than to guess it must have been at least over 50 MPH. I can make that guess after going though our hurricane last fall.

That wind ripped through, the entire boat shuttered, that canvas held well although it strained against its snaps. Our boat rocked, hobby horsed, swung rapidly back and forth following the wind. Our boat is big, it presents the equivalent of an enormous sail area to the oncoming wind. Everything was black, I had no idea if we were sailing out through the moored fleet until I looked down and uncovered our GPS which I left on to monitor our position changes over time. Yes, the boat did move but only to the length of the radius determined by our extended anchor chain.

Tonight was not a night to move my boat under power which would require pulling the anchor had it slipped. I have enough experience with anchors that failed, and it is not fun even if it happens during a sunny day, not at night during a sever storm. OH, the pattern on our GPS resembles an almost perfect circle. After the wind calmed down, I looked back into the mooring area where many are at anchor. Numerous lights were flashing, running lights on indicating possible failed anchors.

I suffered through another adventure last summer in Vinyard Haven on Matha's Vineyard where 20-25K winds encouraged my 88# Delta to plow its way where ever the wind decided at 3AM! I am over joyed this anchor held as advertised!!!

I have no interest in Manson's products. I don't care what others purchase for ground tackle. I just wanted to share my post storm excitement regarding how well our boat stayed put in ell grass during a severe storm. It is now almost an hour since the storm subsided.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 20:13   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Manson Supreme just worked SUPREMELY WELL

Yep, good ground tackle is a REALLY good thing to have. I bet that those big bucks you spent on the MS seem like a great investment now!

And FWIW, we have had the same sort of experience with ours...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 15-08-2012, 20:48   #3

Boat: csy 37
Re: Manson Supreme just worked SUPREMELY WELL

love my manson supreme. sets first time every time. and an all chain rode. with a snubber of course.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote