Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2014, 22:24   #31

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Manson Boss Anchor Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
I think that in the particular ground conditions the flukes are acting as a sledge and the shaft angle is too parallel to pull the point into the seabed.

Its an odd design IMHO
Other than having ears instead of a roll bar, it doesn't look that different to a manson supreme or rocna does it? Once it's upright, it should behave the same way, I would think.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 00:17   #32

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Other than having ears instead of a roll bar, it doesn't look that different to a manson supreme or rocna does it? Once it's upright, it should behave the same way, I would think.
Yes, you might be right and the lessor angle is an optical illusion.

However the larger surface makes it more able to sit on the mud like a sled and this may prevent it from re-setting with change in direction while the rode is already taught with an upward pull.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 05:03   #33
cruiser

As the above poster suggests, with the anchors relative light weight to surface area ratio, I can't see it being able to reset if it's pulled out from an opposite direction while filled with thick mud. Any anchor, especially the tool bar types will have difficulty with that sort of challenge.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 12:07   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham andClare View Post
Yes, I can understand the two in the rivers also. After reading the posts here and talking with other cruisers the most likely explanation I think is that the large concave flukes are filled with mud. When we swing, the anchor is unable to reset immediately until the mud/sand build up has been removed. I understand there is no such thing as the perfect anchor and to some extent they all are a compromise, all having their particular strengths and weaknesses. I have emailed Manson again and alerted them to this thread. I hoping they may be able to shed some more light on the situation. Thanks again for everyones input.
I like Mansons product and their company integrity. So I would be trying to work with them as much as possible.

I have raised this concern: I think is that the large concave flukes are filled with mud. When we swing, the anchor is unable to reset immediately until the mud/sand build up has been removed. regarding scoop (Concave) anchors in the past. I had similar issues with another brand of scoop anchor. Its a reason I have a convex burying anchor.

Then again, I have been told, by people who claim to know, and told in no uncertain terms that my "come out full of mud and fail to reset" concerns about scoops are groundless. Your experience mirrors my own and that of a number of owners I talk to, particularly when anchoring in tidal flow rivers.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 02:03   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

I also use a Manson Boss anchor, and not had any issues with the anchor not setting.
Regularly anchor in the Menai Straits (between the Welsh mainland and the island of Anglesey.) Tidal streams up to 3 kts in the anchorage. Bottom is mud and sand, with the tide doing a 180 four times a day.
Too cold to go see what the anchor does at the turn of the tide, but I dont think it breaks out and resets, more like it will slowly shuffle around while remaining buried.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor