Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2015, 11:58   #1

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Maggi Chain now in the USA!

Woo-hoo and praise the lord! Finally, Maggi chain will be available in the USA. After suffering so badly with Peerless/Acco crap, there will finally be a quality competitor.

Home - Maggi Chains USA

No affiliation with Maggi other than we are very happy with our Maggi chain after suffering with ACCO. Luckily we were in the Eastern Caribe when we needed to buy.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 12:12   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Maggi Chain now in the USA!

Any idea who the dealers will be?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 12:25   #3

I have an email to them asking that.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 26-05-2015, 12:50   #4

Looks like for right now, they have their own warehouse in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

They will be supplied with chain for retail in mid-June.

Mark

Old 26-05-2015, 15:37   #5

Boat: PT-11

This is good news, Mark. Do you have any thoughts on how to connect it to the anchor with something that is as strong as or stronger than the chain? I am thinking of going down to 8mm Aqua7 but am struggling to find a shackle small enough but strong enough.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 16:10   #6

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

I have been struggling to find anything other than basic standard 8mm (5/16") chain in Australia. Maybe these guys will ship from NZ (without breaking the bank)? e-mail sent...
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 16:12   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

This is new to me. Followed the link. Hard to navigate site. Couldn't find my chain. The catalog was in Italian. Maybe they will get it straightened out. I use Campbell-Hausfield and other commercial grades from connections where I work. I have also bought from commercial ship's supply companies in Houston & Seattle.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 20:46   #8

For the record, the supplier in NZ was happy to ship to Australia. He was helpful and seemed quite knowledgeable. Shame about the freight costs though. Even so, it is great to find a source of 8mm chain at other than "bog standard" Chinese grade 40
Old 26-05-2015, 21:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
This is good news, Mark. Do you have any thoughts on how to connect it to the anchor with something that is as strong as or stronger than the chain? I am thinking of going down to 8mm Aqua7 but am struggling to find a shackle small enough but strong enough.
We use a Wasi Powerball swivel on our 8mm, but that seems to be a can of worms with some. I have no qualms with it, and we have been using it for 8 years.

Looks like the chain is in your neighborhood. We are a bit north of you now, but the Maggi rep said no problem - he would drive it up to us.

Mark

Old 26-05-2015, 21:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
For the record, the supplier in NZ was happy to ship to Australia. He was helpful and seemed quite knowledgeable. Shame about the freight costs though. Even so, it is great to find a source of 8mm chain at other than "bog standard" Chinese grade 40
If this was "GMac" from this forum (and Chains, Ropes and Anchors-the Maritime Bondage Experts), he is definitely one of the world's experts in all things chain. It is a shame and loss that he doesn't participate here anymore.

Mark

Old 26-05-2015, 21:33   #11

Indeed Colemj, it was "GMac".... seemed like a nice bloke, went out of his way to be helpful and saved me some money in the process. Assuming the chain arrives (no reason to think it won't), I'll be recommending him to anyone who asks...
Old 26-05-2015, 21:42   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Indeed Colemj, it was "GMac".... seemed like a nice bloke, went out of his way to be helpful and saved me some money in the process. Assuming the chain arrives (no reason to think it won't), I'll be recommending him to anyone who asks...
Yeah, that's the way he presents himself so as to ingratiate a bonhomie feeling, but before you know it he will trick you into emptying your wallet into his beer mug.

Watch out…

Mark

Old 27-05-2015, 05:32   #13

Hmmmmm. Based on the chart on that website, Maggi is using a 4:1 design factor to determine WLL. According to an old Practical Sailor review, I was under the impression they used a 5:1 factor. This changes things a bit. The 8mm Aqua7 is not stronger than my current Aqua4 10mm, but it is stronger than Acco 3/8" G40 chain, which uses a 3:1 factor according to 1st-chainsuppy and that same PS article.

Edit: Well the plot thickens. 1. Maggi is apparently now making and planning to sell through MaggiChainUSA imperial size chain. 5/16 chain according to the chart on the website, has a WLL of 4700lb and an UTS of 18,800 lb. 2. According to a different chart I received from MaggichainUSA, with metric sizes they do indeed use a 5:1 factor for determining WLL. According to that chart, 8mm chain has a WLL of 1500kg (3300lb) and a UTS of 70kn (15,700lb - a little less than 5:1 but its probably in the conversion). 3. Even equalizing for the different WLLs, the 8mm chain has a much lower UTS than the 5/16 chain, even though the 5/16 chain is only nominally larger. Anyone wanna check the math?

And as to the connectors, Mark what size Wasi do you use? We use a similar Ultra swivel, but it is the 1/2" version and the pin won't fit through the chain. We use this size one to give some comfort about strength. Its a massive hunk of metal. But even with 10mm chain, we have a shackle between it and the chain. The Crosby 7/16 shackle is strong enough. But for the 8mm chain, I would have to go to a 3/8 shackle, which is a little less strong than the chain.
Old 27-05-2015, 06:03   #14

We use the 8mm Wasi that fits our 8mm chain with no issues. Did you look at a titanium shackle?

4:1 factor is pretty much standard worldwide. It is only the US manufacturers that use a 3:1 for G40 rating. I think 5:1 is only used for critical lifting chain.

Mark

Old 27-05-2015, 06:54   #15

Well, I haven't been able to find a titanium shackle that I would trust but that would be a good option. Its even more noble than stainless so would increase the action between chain and connector, but since its small I wouldn't worry about it.