Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2016, 18:12   #16

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Looking for new anchor chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
I bought 5/16th HT chain from Don's Marine for my windlass. It is actually 8mm and sourced from Europe as this is a 'short link' and odd size/low production in the USA but more common in metric locations. Acco is made in the USA and if you like the spend more for that keeping it in the USA thing, then go ahead and spend more for ACCO. I paid about $2 per ft SHIPPED from Florida to PA (it was under $1.50/ft for the chain I think). I'm on my 4th season with this chain and there is no sign of rust that I've seen... So I'd check Don's Marine Salvage and forget the ACCO hype.
-zach
Thanks! I was just there about a month ago but didn't think about getting chain there.

Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 18:29   #17

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
LOL. We've never moored in the south field. Our mooring, other than the brief (dammit) times we've been gone, since Christmas Day 2013, has been immediately south of the first little island - 4 moorings north of the dinghy dock, and well out of the south field. The only time we've been in the south field was coming or going from/to Ft. Pierce, and never on a ball there. We're right next to John and Ann's Far Niente.

OTOH, no, we don't go up next to the creek, where the ferro with the blue netting, and the sculptor Ray and wife live (on a very different, very nice boat)...

My ACCO purchase was a great long while after yours. My first chain did marvelously, for many years, before I finally replaced it in my refit in Ft. Pierce. The new ACCO really sucks.

L8R

Skip
I stand corrected. And further from the mangroves must help with the No See-Ums. Nasty this year.

The Maggi chain distributor is in Florida. Why not give them a try?

redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 19:41   #18

Boat: Bristol 41.1

As for galvanizers:

American Galvanizers Association
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 04:01   #19

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post

I stand corrected. And further from the mangroves must help with the No See-Ums. Nasty this year.

The Maggi chain distributor is in Florida. Why not give them a try?
We made a tactical decision last year to not be in Vero in the summer. Summer 2014 was excruciating - blistering hot, muggy and bitten.

I hope we get our boat chores done (remount and service our windlass, completely recaulk our toe rail - as seen in a different thread about 3M's no-longer-available 101 - and a few other less monumental items) before those conditions hit again.

If I could regalvanize (and I haven't yet end-for-ended, either), the chain is just great, at least visually. Because of the tether (the admiral's mother is in a retirement facility in Vero, and we're now up to 15 grands among our 4-each kids), we'll spend a lot of time in Vero, where we leave our car. We could drive the chain to someplace reasonably close (when we made the decision to replace our then-6-year-old chain, the only galvanizer was in Jax and the shipping and coating was close to 2/3 of new; silly me, I elected for new)...

I'll have a look, again, when I've reached the end of my rope, so to speak (secondary anchor has 100' of NOS [very rarely used] chain and 200' of the same stuff as my snubber, 1" NER MegaBraid). I could swap out, again, before having to face the music of finding Maggi or Campbell - for sure I won't use Acco again.

I gather you're in Vero now; we'll be back sometime June-ish and working; stop in and say hi...

L8R

Skip
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFlyingPigLog
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 07:37   #20

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

There are a Lot of threads on here which discuss the topic of chain & it's galvanizing quality, or lack there of. Which, if one's planning to drop a lot of coin on some new chain, it'd be smart to read them.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 09:14   #21

Boat: Nauticat 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Manhandling a whole barrel of chain for four blocks

Remind me to not get in a bar fight with you
A64,

No worries. I'm not a fighter...

I could not have walked it to the boat if it wasn't for the specially designed, very well balanced barrel dolly they loaned me. Tipping it back on its 2 wheels was the most difficult part and a helper was appreciated. It balanced well and the dolly had hand brakes so it was easy to control. [And Anacortes is pretty level anyway; and with curb-cuts on every street corner...]

The hardest part was convincing one guy- who was standing at the bottom of the ramp to watch me come down- that he was in danger and to please step aside... Even though I planned arrival for high tide, there was still a bit of downward slope... He called back 'Don't worry about me...' to which I responded 'Its this 600 pound barrel of chain I'm worried about...' With that he smoothly stepped aside and down I went, brakes a squealing...

Of course I opened the barrel before departing the store to confirm it was the right stuff because there was no way I was getting the whole thing back up the ramp without paying it out into 3+ dock carts...

Cheers!

Bill

Short on opinions; focused on research, facts & experience [yours and ours...]
wrwakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 19:56   #22

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 44 CC Cutter

My homework for 3/8 G4 sent me to Defender. Even with shipping it was cheaper than most. Came to just over $1,500.

Tags
anchor