Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2019, 14:56   #1

Boat: Pearson Countess 44
Looking for a warping roller

I've got a vertical windlass with both a chain wildcat and a warping drum, I have two anchor rollers and normally carry an anchor on each. The main anchor has an all chain rode and the windlass is perfectly aligned to haul up the chain and deliver it into the locker. My second anchor has a mixed chain and rope rode and does not correctly align with windlass.

So I'm looking for a vertical axle warping roller to redirect the secondary anchor rode to the windlass. I remember seeing a photo on this forum of a boat that had a setup like that but can't remember where I saw it and I've been searching to no avail. I hope someone can point me in the right direction
Thanks.
sailor1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 03:59   #2

Boat: Kaufman 47
Re: Looking for a warping roller

I would look for a cheap used/broken windlass for sale and just take the wildcat off and make a base for it. Mount it to the deck with a shaft and top supports. This obviously is probably not your size and not cheap, but you get the idea. Call used boat parts shops and see if they have what you are looking for.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F331896798867
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 07:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
I would look for a cheap used/broken windlass for sale and just take the wildcat off and make a base for it. Mount it to the deck with a shaft and top supports. This obviously is probably not your size and not cheap, but you get the idea. Call used boat parts shops and see if they have what you are looking for.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F331896798867
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm still hoping someone knows the photo I referred to and can send me to it.
Old 25-04-2019, 21:50   #4

Is this what you saw/are seeking?
-http://tor.cc/articles/c-tip_2.htm-
Tor Pinney's Homepage - A Cruising Sailor's Homeport
scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 05:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherzoja View Post
Is this what you saw/are seeking?
-http://tor.cc/articles/c-tip_2.htm-
Tor Pinney's Homepage - A Cruising Sailor's Homeport
Thanks for the link. This not the one that I was looking for though it is a different solution to a very similar problem. Again thanks for finding this.
Old 27-04-2019, 06:49   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42

You might use a modest single speed bronze winch such as a (click on) Hutton with a length of leather around the barrel to protect it from abrasion from the chain.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 07:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
You might use a modest single speed bronze winch such as a (click on) Hutton with a length of leather around the barrel to protect it from abrasion from the chain.

FWIW...
Thanks;
Yes a possibility, but I'd really like something a bit more compact and of a lower profile and of course cheaper.

Maybe I should describe it differently. I have two bow rollers the port side one does not align with my windlass either in horizontal or vertical planes. I need to change direction of the pull on the anchor rode twice and would like it to be a low friction transition. I suppose I could make a kind of "idler" with two wheels on a foot plate or use snatch blocks, but would still like to see how others have solved the problem and I clearly recollect seeing such a solution but I'm unable to remember where I saw it.