Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2017, 13:06   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brisbane
Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Posts: 18
Send a message via Skype™ to Darby695
Lofrans Emergency Anchor Return

I have owned a Lagoon 380 S2 2006 for 5 years now ( I am posting this on the Lagoon section as well) and have watched the "YouTube Video " on the power failure anchor return.
I was pleased with the system shown, however since my solenoid has has been intermittently clicking which at this stage can be resolved with a light rubber mallet tap to the housing.
I subsequently went to practice the ratchet system to raise the anchor, HOWEVER , no spool with the hole to insert the supplied handle. (Was this a standard for this winch model )

Anyone know of a way to remedy/ adapt / rerig this failing.
Also I have removed lightly sanded and cleaned the carbon bushes which have plenty of meat left, however 2-3 weeks later the problem returns, other suggestions please. 4 new brushes are $620 AUD

Thanks again in advance for assistance. ( photos available if required)

Darby
__________________

__________________
Darby695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 04:20   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 28
Re: Lofrans Emergency Anchor Return

Without knowing the exact winch model on your boat, I cannot answer your question.

That said, brushes for a 1000W motor should be closer to $64 than $640. Shop around on line. Worst case, take one of your old brushes to an electric motor repair facility and buy a generic equivalent.
__________________

__________________
sv Grateful is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 05:24   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,555
Re: Lofrans Emergency Anchor Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Grateful View Post
Without knowing the exact winch model on your boat, I cannot answer your question.



That said, brushes for a 1000W motor should be closer to $64 than $640. Shop around on line. Worst case, take one of your old brushes to an electric motor repair facility and buy a generic equivalent.


+1, brushes with springs and holders cannot equate more than $100. They're everywhere!! An automotive starter repair shop will have these in a bin.
__________________
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 05:35   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brisbane
Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Posts: 18
Send a message via Skype™ to Darby695
Re: Lofrans Emergency Anchor Return

Thanks again,

It's a LOFRANS, TIGRES , TG 012047
1200W. 12 Volt



Photos hopefully attached!

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	154877

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6894.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	154878
__________________
Darby695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 05:40   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29° 49.16’ N 82° 25.82’ W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,124
Re: Lofrans Emergency Anchor Return

Perhaps I'm confused or maybe a language difference. You hear clicking in the solenoid but mention cleaning brushes. To me brushes are in the motor and not the solenoid which will have contacts.

So did you clean the brushes in the motor or contacts inside the solenoid? If you cleaned the motor brushes then check the solenoid. These are also more or less generic like motor brushes so if the old one is the problem and can't be opened or repaired you can replace it with any solenoid that is waterproof and has sufficient amp capacity.

Also, clicking solenoid could be an indication of low voltage. Hows the batteries that feed the windlass? Have you checked all the cables for loose or corroded connections. Have you checked voltage at the solenoid? It should be checked under load as the no load voltage could give you a false reading.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 06:30   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,555
Re: Lofrans Emergency Anchor Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Perhaps I'm confused or maybe a language difference. You hear clicking in the solenoid but mention cleaning brushes. To me brushes are in the motor and not the solenoid which will have contacts.



So did you clean the brushes in the motor or contacts inside the solenoid? If you cleaned the motor brushes then check the solenoid. These are also more or less generic like motor brushes so if the old one is the problem and can't be opened or repaired you can replace it with any solenoid that is waterproof and has sufficient amp capacity.



Also, clicking solenoid could be an indication of low voltage. Hows the batteries that feed the windlass? Have you checked all the cables for loose or corroded connections. Have you checked voltage at the solenoid? It should be checked under load as the no load voltage could give you a false reading.


Ahhh, if we're going the solenoid contact route instead of brushes, then again $640 is nuts!

Depending on where the control is mounted the solenoids don't even need to be water resistant. Our control box is mounted in a dry location about 8' away from the windlass. The outside of the box says maxwell, but inside are these.

Name:   IMG_1226.JPG
Views: 584
Size:  10.5 KB
__________________
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 11:05   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29° 49.16’ N 82° 25.82’ W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,124
Re: Lofrans Emergency Anchor Return

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Ahhh, if we're going the solenoid contact route instead of brushes, then again $640 is nuts!Attachment 154879
Absolutely. $640 whether brushes or contacts is just highway robbery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Depending on where the control is mounted the solenoids don't even need to be water resistant. Our control box is mounted in a dry location about 8' away from the windlass. The outside of the box says maxwell, but inside are these.
Attachment 154879
I had to replace the bearings supporting the main shaft that holds the gypsy in my Simpson Lawrence windlass. Genuine SL parts, over $30 each. Got the part numbers off the bearings and ordered the identical parts online for a few dollars.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 12:52   #8
Registered User
 
Suijin's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Annapolis MD; currently in Oriental NC
Boat: Valiant 40
Posts: 2,526
Re: Lofrans Emergency Anchor Return

Just replace the damn solenoid and get a sealed one, if the one you have is not already. The Imtra is @ $120 and will do everything you want it to do, including wiring to a remote.

Lighthouse wanted like $800 for their control box. Uh, no. And it was 8x the size of the Imtra.



When you have to start tapping the solenoid with a mallet it's time has come. It's not going to get any better and it's just a matter of time before it fails altogether. Life will be easier if you replace it before that point.
__________________
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:59   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brisbane
Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Posts: 18
Send a message via Skype™ to Darby695
Re: Lofrans Emergency Anchor Return

Sorry Guys I've been absent from here for a while.
My logic was?
Because the solenoid was clicking with no results till I tapped the actual windlass housing therefore the problem was most likely the motor brushes.
__________________

__________________
Darby695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
anchor, emergency, enc, lofrans

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clicking Lofrans Anchor Windlass john elbro Anchoring & Mooring 19 19-04-2014 17:32
A Guess at how Quick you can Drop your Anchor in an Emergency? Fuss Anchoring & Mooring 42 19-12-2013 07:13
Anchor and chain weight recommendations for a Lofrans Cayman 88 JPL Anchoring & Mooring 11 23-06-2013 15:51
For Sale: Lofrans Tigres Anchor Windlass 12v kiskeedee Classifieds Archive 5 23-02-2012 12:50
Lofrans Windlass Will Not Drop the Anchor crazyhorse77 Anchoring & Mooring 1 11-11-2011 16:25


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:58.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.