Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2017, 02:42   #1

Lofrans Airon 1000 windlass

Good evening,
can anyone please help me with how to release the gearbox/motor from the underside of the winch? The winch is old and is probably original from when my boat was built in 1991. It has a 3-star clutch release nut, and has worked flawlessly until now, but I suspect the brushes need attention, because a light tap with a hammer on the motor casing makes it work again.
I have disassembled the top of the winch and removed the small circlip and the shaft-key. All in excellent condition. I have undone the 4 nuts underneath. (Surely the lower end of the studs are not threaded into the gearbox casing just above the worm-gear??). I have hit the top of the shaft with a drift - but no luck. My guess is the stainless studs are seized onto the alloy casting just above the nuts. I was tempted to just pay to "have the winch replaced", but I'd really like to have a go at fixing it myself first. I'm a bit frightened that if I start hitting the top of the gearbox casing near the bottom of the 4 studs, I might crack it. I've searched the forums.
Many Thanks,
Steve
StephenM33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 08:00   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Lofrans Airon 1000 windlass

I think that you only need to loosen the four nuts and rotate the gearbox a few degrees as the holes are slotted to allow the nuts to pass through. You should be able to pull the shaft all the way out of the windlass. A really healthy rubber hammer helps.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 01:36   #3

Thanks Guy for your advice.
After 4 hours of driving a steel wedge all the way around the top of the gearbox and the bottom of the hardwood packing washers under the deck, the winch finally dropped 1mm. A bit more wedging, and it dropped a bit more. A few judicious hits with a steel drift on the top of the shaft, and it finally came free. One of the hardest jobs I've ever done on the boat, and in a very confined space. The studs were seized onto the allow gearbox casing - obviously Duralac wasn't used in the first place.
The winch works perfectly after a very good cleanout - especially the debris around the brushes. Very relieved!!
By the way, there were no oval slots in the top of the gearbox, so I guess it must be a slightly earlier model. I can't find any Serial No. on it. The gearbox sight-glass shows it is half full of oil.
Once I find out how to reduce the file-size on the photos I've taken, I'll post them on the Forum for the benefit of others.
Best wishes,
Steve
StephenM33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 04:58   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“... Under deck part may be oriented in the most suitable of four positions. Check that the electric motor does not obstruct the run of the chain into the locker. Join the under deck part to the top part inserting the key (284) of the main shaft into the key way of the gearbox. Tight the nuts on the studs...”

2ND From Top, Page 2 of Library
Mounting - Operation And Maintenance Instructions ~ Airon [RETIRED PRODUCT] ➥ Lofrans Library - Manuals, Specifications, 3D CAD Models, Deck Templates

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
lofrans, wind, windlass