Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2015, 17:54   #31

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Line size for anchor bridle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
A point not often raised in these discussions:

Snubbers with extreme stretch do reduce instantaneous loads more than less stretchy ones, this is certainly true. What is not clear is whether this additional stretch makes very much difference in reality.

What I have observed is with very stretchy snubbers, the boat surges backwards a longish way in gusts. When the gust dissipates, the boat surges forwards, generating a lot of slack in the chain. When the next gust comes along, the bow is able to blow off a long way before the chain and snubber come tight again. I
Jim,

That has been my observation as well. However, in our case we tend to get a lot of hobby horsing when there are waves due to fetch because of our clipper bow. The 3/8" seems to greatly dampen the pitching vs. the 5/8".

Based on both those observations perhaps the right choice is simply "right-sizing" via experimentation for your particular vessel, starting with 3/8" and going up as reason dictates. My boat my be the same as Cabo Sailors but I almost undoubtedly have more windage due to the way I have chosen to configure my vessel for cruising, so what is optimum for him may not be optimum for me and vice versa.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 17:57   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
Jim, Do you use a single line or a bridle?
Single line, lead over the bow roller, right next to the chain. Our bow is quite 'pointy' and the chocks are so close together transversely that I don't think a bridle will make much difference.

Jim
Old 19-12-2015, 18:30   #33

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Thanks, Bill, for allowing me to better understand. We are in such different environments of latitude, tide, depths, anchorages and weather.
Hey Hudson,

This is one of the aspects I really like about this forum: I learn so much from comparing notes with you and so many others.

I'm sure some of my write-ups may sound a bit overkill to many, but as you mentioned, technique and approach are relative to location and circumstances, and I sometimes [ofttimes?] forget to reinforce those details... (or perhaps I'm showing mercy for any readers?... ;-)

Best Regards!

Bill
Old 19-12-2015, 18:43   #34

Boat: Able 50

Stick with 1/2" which will work just fine on a 38 footer. Have a think about changing to braid which is both softer and stronger, typically around 8,000 lbs BL. Braid cleats and hanks so much more easily than three strand which tends to stiffen with age. If you prefer the double ended style of bridle then 3/8" would also work well and stretch better in average conditions.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 00:24   #35

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Have you ever considered an 8 strand rope instead of 3 strand? Same or better strength, always smooth, a lot lighter and longer lasting.
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 01:56   #36

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Guy,
I've not had a problem with twist. Perhaps that's because up until now I've not used a bridle. I've been using a single 25 ft 3-strand line with a chain hook. I'm looking at the bridle because the chain hook can fall off too easily. So far the Mantus seems to have the most secure hook.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I use a regular chain hook from Home Depot for a few bucks. It's only fallen off once, if that, once it's set.

My current bridle is only 20' on each leg, reading the above, I will make a new one of 50' 3/8" per leg.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 02:38   #37

Boat: Jeanneau DS 49

we use a chain rode, and install two twisted nylon lines about 30' each but they ae wrapped around rubber snubber that you will find for deck lines. I install both snubber lines to the anchor rode and then attach to the forward two forward cleats. I have found that much more easing of the swings to and fro will settle down better and that the loads on the snubber lines will be less. I do keep the snubbers short though only 10=16' at the most. there is an additional 5' wrap around the rubber snubbers that will stretch in heavy conditions Together and with another run-off of an extra 20 of anchor chain to be stretched out as the line becomes tight gives me a good nights sleep
'we have done that for the last 20K miles across the Pacific and around

Alaskan waters and found that was a good measure to go by even in willipaw type weathers found in Canada and Northpacific, 5/8 Chain and 5/8 snubbers on a JEANNEAU DS49 32,000 #
Old 20-12-2015, 12:35   #38

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Alaskan waters and found that was a good measure to go by even in willipaw type weathers found in Canada and Northpacific, 5/8 Chain and 5/8 snubbers on a JEANNEAU DS49 32,000 #
Are you sure about your chain size? i kinda doubt that...

Maybe 3/8"??

Jim

Tags
anchor, bridle, size