Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 12:48   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Re: Lighter Delta vs. Rusty CQR

I wholeheartedly agree that a 35 CQR isn't really enough. We always anchored as though it was going to blow 50 knots . . . and sometimes it did. On a Tayana 37, we went with a 66 pound Spade, survived some very nasty squalls with 4 to 5 foot rollers coming into an open roadstead, and didn't drag.

BUT as others have noted, it's the whole system that matters. A huge part of that system is your snubbers and NOT oversizing them -- they need to stretch to be able to absorb the shock loads. Bow rollers are notorious weak points and can shear a rode quickly.

Good luck in your decision!

The Boat Galley - making your boat life better with a weekly newsletter, free and low-cost courses, handy references and document organizers
The Boat Galley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 13:34   #17
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMorningStar View Post
Thanks for the input. I had initially bought the Delta as a hurricane anchor for our 26' Pearson and according to the company, it is sized for a boat 34-41' long. But of course, the people who write this aren't trying to sleep through a middle of the night storm either. Dragging at 5am is not my idea of a good time. Gord, what is your opinion on the 35# Delta? I don't have a windlass and would rather not get much over that in weight because if anchoring in deep water, the combined weight of the anchor and 40' of chain is a beast! I welcome anyone else's opinions as well.
You could use an A100 anchor that only weighs 26 pounds and still has more than enough holding power. The A100 has 1000 sq centimeters of surface area that gives it, its holding power.
SA/USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 20:08   #18

Boat: Ericson 35 Mk III

I like the idea of the 26# A100 anchor. I've read some good things about it, but Ouch! It's expensive! I don't think I can find $1000 for an anchor. Money is an object. Sigh. Oh well, a boat is a hole in the water into which one throws money.
SVMorningStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 20:37   #19

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
I like the idea of the 26# A100 anchor. I've read some good things about it, but Ouch! It's expensive! I don't think I can find $1000 for an anchor. Money is an object. Sigh. Oh well, a boat is a hole in the water into which one throws money.
Given that you don't have a windlass I think a 35# anchor with about 20 feet of 5/16 chain on rope is starting to approach the max weight an average middle-age male can haul up manually without too much discomfort or strain.

I like the Delta better than a CQR, a steel Spade better than a Delta, and a Manson or Rocna better than those (Manson is priced better in the US). The Spade and Delta do not penetrate as well in hard-pack or weeds compared with the Manson or Rocna, and the aluminum Spade doesn't set as well as the steel version (I sold one after a dragging experience).

The ultra looks interesting but never used one. The stainless-only price pushes it out of consideration for me. I think they'd be smart to come out with a galvanized version.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 20:52   #20

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I had initially bought the Delta as a hurricane anchor for our 26' Pearson and according to the company, it is sized for a boat 34-41' long. But of course, the people who write this aren't trying to sleep through a middle of the night storm either. Dragging at 5am is not my idea of a good time. Gord, what is your opinion on the 35# Delta? I don't have a windlass and would rather not get much over that in weight because if anchoring in deep water, the combined weight of the anchor and 40' of chain is a beast! I welcome anyone else's opinions as well.
You don't have a windlass and don't seem to want one for cost and/or weight reasons.

My suggestion would be to get a bow roller if you don't already have one and a chain pawl. That would allow you bring the chain up slowly without losing any ground during the process. It would also give you a better position for hauling, you could sit on deck feet braced hauling back on the rode like you were rowing, all the effort going into lifting the tackle and little or none into holding yourself up and balanced.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 20:59   #21

Boat: Prout 46

Keep your eye on ebay and Craig's list. Great deals can be had on used and new Spades, Rocnas, Mansons,and Deltas all the time. Two words of advice if I may: Avoid paying retail for any anchor, AND don't bother re-galvanizing the CQR. Just let that old piece of junk go.
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 21:21   #22

Multiple choice:

Boats that cruise with a CQR anchor:

a) Have all been lost due to anchor holding problems.
b) Are probably out cruising the world having a great time.

The CQR sounds fine. There's a trick to re-galvanizing a CQR because the lead in the tip might melt away. Just go. Armchair sailors tend to be picky about anchor brands. Cruisers not so much.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 22:32   #23
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMorningStar
I currently have a 35 lb CQR on my 35' sailboat w/nylon and 35' chain rode. Both the chain and anchor are getting pretty rusty and need to be regalvanized (we bought the CQR used so I have no idea how old it is). So I'm reevaluating my ground tackle. My question is this: I also have a 22lb Delta in my shed from a previous boat. The specs say that it will work for a boat my size. I know that anchor design is much more important than its weight but it is so much lighter than the other and I do believe in going "one size up" on equipment like this. On the other hand, it is much easier to handle and w/o a windlass, that's a plus. Does anyone have any opinion on a 22# Delta's adequacy on a 13,000# displacement sailboat? We anchor largely in mud and sand when in home waters. When we're in the Bahamas, weeds are a factor as well.
Back when those anchors were specked for your boat, there was a general consensus among the cruising community that it was inevitable that a boat would drag from time to time.

We no longer agree with that premise.

You can hang with those anchors, or you can invest in anchors that will hold you where you want to stay. It's that simple a choice: do you want to drag once in a while, or stay put?
Old 09-04-2011, 08:13   #24

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Assuming the CQR is still structurally sound, wire brush down the CQR and paint it with either regular old marine white paint (lasts a year or so) or cold galvanizing paint. I did that for many years, decades actually, and was amazed how well the white paint held up. The only places that wear fast are the very point of the CQR, the ears on the plow, and the shank where the shackle attaches. Plus, the white paint makes the anchor really easy to spot on the bottom in the Bahamas. All of these CQR bashers must not know how to anchor. I used a 35 lb CQR as my primary on several different boats for more than a decade of living aboard and cruising from Maine south, including numerous trips to your home waters of Florida and the Bahamas. Anchored all over the place, through numerous gales, and one hurricane with that 35lb CQR on the bottom. Back it up with a couple of decent-sized genuine Hi-tensile Danforths or a Fortress or two for those Bahamian moors you'll be doing and all will be well. If in any doubt of your anchorage situation, put one of the Danforths out in a V up ahead and you'll hold until something breaks. The Hiscocks, Pardeys, and Roths circumnavigated the world numerous times using CQRs as their primary anchors.
Old 14-04-2011, 10:03   #25

I need to get the CQR off and scrape it down good to get a better idea of its condition. It's probably OK for the time being. I'm kind to leaning toward a Rocna if the funds ever present themselves. Right now, my main is in the shop to be restitched and my sailcover's going to need to be replaced. That's where my money is going right now. I didn't expect it to cost as much as it is, but it IS a boat, right? There's always something. Thanks for the input, everyone.
Old 14-04-2011, 10:23   #26
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Many older anchors rated on size vs holding can (in my opinion!!!) easily achieve equal or greater holding capacity than a so called modern anchor based on cost/pound. Just requires a heavier anchor. I do not support the "lunch hook" concept.
Theres no evidence in the various tests to show that older designs made heavier hold as good as or better then the modern designs. Weight is not a good substitute for buried blade area.

Dave
Old 14-04-2011, 11:09   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

My question - "a little rusty" - is there any reason other than asthetic to care?
Old 14-04-2011, 11:33   #28
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

MY ANCHORS ARE PROUDLY RUSTED. doesnt affect performance. my only non rusted anch0r is a 60 pound bruce.
35 cqr is good for 35 ft boat WITH more than 100 ft chain, minimum 5/16.
my 35 ericson, at 11600 pounds displacement stickas well with that combo. no drag, no muss.. no windlass. i am female and can do that solo
i have 45 pound cqr on my formosa- just replaced my rusted chain with new bbb, 194 ft. i will add 10 ft 3/8 for extra sticking power. i donot usually drag anchor.
i plan on using my bruce if i need to anchor out for a couple days.

in gulf, we used a 35 cqr with only 30 ft 3/8 chain and rope the rest of rode-- dragged EVERY time there was wind and seas.... not good enough to place under 100 ft of chain on anchor if ye wanna stay stuck in wind and seas.
i donot like the mortification of being a dragging bat-- makes Bad reputation, not to mention, ye can LOSE boat that way.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 10:26   #29

I guess my main worry w/the rusty CQR is that you can't inspect the integrity of the axis on the hinge. I'm a woman as well, which is why I don't want to go over 35#. I'd prefer to not kill my back. Maybe I should just look at my chain. I've been wanting to increase its length, anyway. Here in the mud of FL's ICW, the CQR seems to be fine for the most part. It couldn't handle the grass in the Bahamas when we were over there last spring and we had to go to a claw instead. I wasn't real comfortable with that one. Drug during a storm. Fortunately, I was already up and ready to head out at the time.
Old 15-04-2011, 12:46   #30

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Having a lunch hook is not a bad thing. I would go for one honking big storm anchor, and one lunch hook. That said, don't expect anything to hold you in a storm! There are anchorages around here where you could anchor a 20 thousand pound boat with a 20 pound anchor indefinitely, until something rusted away.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, cqr, delta