Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2009, 12:49   #1

Boat: Beneteau 49 - WAKADUI
Lewmar Wireless Remote

Anyone familiar with Lewmar's 5-button wireless remote for bow thruster and windlass? West Marine web site had some harsh words from buyers of the product: range of antenna was poor, buttons on FOB stick. Was also wondering if install is something a DIY boater could do?
Old 13-12-2009, 13:29   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakadui View Post
... wondering if install is something a DIY boater could do?
I've no experience with, nor opinion of, the Lewmar remote controls.

The Lewmar 3-Button & 5-Button windlass/thruster wireless remote can be used on any windlass/thruster that is operated via a solenoid or relay. The wireless remote is simply wired in parallel with the standard switch.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 15:44   #3

The reports of poor antenna function concerns me. The wired remote for my Beneteau 49 Lewmar bow thruster sits at the starboard helm, approx 45 feet from bow. If I were to exit the boat (stern dock line secured of course) and walked the dock to the bow with bow thruster wireless remote in hand to retrieve the starboard bow dock line, would the wireless signal reach the remote antenna approx 50 feet away?
Old 13-12-2009, 16:58   #4

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
wired a unit intended for remote garage door & found that good for $100.00 outlay. If any of the radio units are being used on metal boats the receiver aerial would have to be considered.
Bill
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 10:51   #5

I just bought a Lewmar 68000844 wireless remote.

The receiver isn't even in a case, it's just a PC board stuffed with components and wrapped in adhesive lined heat shrink, with a bunch of wires sticking out of the ends.

My Windlass is 20 to 25 feet from the remote. It works intermittently...unless I move back toward the cockpit which obviously defeats the purpose.
Sailor_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 13:18   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42
I cannot speak to the Lewmar Unit but we have a Quick Wireless Controller (see Google Translate ) that I bought through MariSafe of Sarasota Florida in April 2006. While we also have Quick's wired Controller, I have virtually never used it since we installed the windlass in May 2006 (see http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post393802 ). In our case the receiver is mounted on the inside face of the chain locker bulkhead, under the berth in theforward cabin and the windlass works very well from anywhere on our boat. I cannot imagine that the Lewmar unit would be all that different.

FWIW,,,
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 14:32   #7

Here's a picture of the remote control and the receiver before I installed it.

I put a ball point pen in the picture to give you a sense of the size of everything. The gray thing at the bottom is a holster for the remote control.

The black thing is the Receiver. It's just a PC Board stuffed with components and wrapped in adhesive lined heat shrink.

Lewmar 68000844 wireless remote

The antenna is a short black wire sticking out of the heat shrink that encases the PC board and components. It's the curly wire at the bottom in the pic.

I am hoping that I can relocate the receiver and get it to work at the bow. RF does strange stuff sometimes. We'll see.

It's not difficult to install. You will likely need a fuse and wire for + and -, that's not supplied.

Perhaps you can look at the picture and form your own opinion.

How does it compare to the Quick?
Old 14-10-2010, 15:05   #8

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
It may pay to try a separate 12V supply to the receiver as the voltage may be down when the winch is operating. Just a torch battery if you don't have a split 12v supply. Reason is some of the internal regulators in some receivers will stop working if the rail voltage drops below 10.8v which may happen when the winch is drawing 100 or so amps.
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 10:57   #9

It bothers me that Lewmar produces a 10 m remote antenna to go along with the original kit for the 3 or 5 button wireless remote. Using their words...."When reception is poor or distance to the windlass/thruster is long, a remote antenna will improve reception." This statement seems quite vague. It is as if they expect two purchases... the original kit and a remote antenna.

Todd
Old 24-10-2010, 10:49   #10

In respect to the Lewmar 68000844 wireless remote that I recently installed, here's a little added information :

The little receiver board wrapped in heat shrink must have DC power applied to it constantly.

Each time that power to the receiver is interrupted (batteries off, breaker blows, checking the fuse, etc.) you have to reprogram it so that it recognizes the transmitter again. If you pick up the transmitter and it doesn't function, you must assume that power was possibly interrupted to the receiver and get out a jumper wire so that you can reprogram it again.

And again. And again.

Anybody got the model number for the Quick remote control handy?
Old 18-11-2010, 16:24   #11

Boat: Hunter, Legend 40.5
Just bought a boat that has the Lewmar 3 button remote already installed. I only checked it from the foredeck and it worked fine. Will be spending time on the boat in Jan so will check out distance performance and find out if it has power to it all the time. I have left the boat with all DC breakers off except bilge pump and have still used the remote with no problem. I doubt it is hardwired to 12V, I do have a separate breaker for windlass which is normally off, but perhaps the receiver has been wired hot. Not happy with that if this is the case but will have to check. Can anyone tell me what the battery is in the unit. I would like to purchase a spare to have onboard and can't find any info online re battery part number. Thanks
charris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 03:10   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
God, That lewmar unit looks absolute junk.
Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 12:07   #13
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
I've found that wired remotes are far more reliable, durable, and harder to lose.
Old 21-11-2010, 13:37   #14

Further to my previous posts in regard to the Lewmar 68000844 wireless remote control (see picture above) ...

The Lewmar wireless remote control shown in the picture worked ... for TWO WHOLE WEEKS!

Then it died.

The receiver, (you know, the little pc board wrapped in heat shrink) croaked.

No reason.

Dead dead dead.

Two whole weeks!

Shipping costs for "warranty" consideration exceed the value of the unit.
Old 21-11-2010, 13:51   #15

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Try the Quick unit discussed in post #6, above. Ours has been working without difficulty for 4+ years dispite unconcionable abuse with reception from upwards of 100 feet from the yacht (tested just for the heck of it).

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote