Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2017, 12:12   #1
cruiser

Lewmar Windlass Pooped, Now what?

Our 16 year old Lewmar Ocean Concept 3 pooped the bed three weeks ago, and it appears that the gearbox is finished. We use this thing daily six months per year to haul up a 45kg (99 pound) Ultra anchor along with it's 1/2 inch (12mm) rode, usually anchored in 30-45ft depths at 5:1. We have 100 meters of chain (315ft)

So here are the questions/options:

1. Replace motor and gearbox with a new Ocean Concept 3 unit. We've already ruled this out due to the fact the failed unit was working at 100% capacity and we don't want a repeat performance. Price: $1,800.

2. Replace entire windlass with a Lewmar V4. We also ruled out this option because even though it's what's on the new Oyster 575, it would be working at 90% capacity.

3. Replace entire windlass with a Lewmar V5. Seems strong enough and is what Lewmar recommends. Price: $4,000-$5,000.

4. Replace entire windlass with a Lewmar V6. Overkill and expensive, but we do use this thing every day, and unlikely we'd ever need to deal with this again, BUT..... $10,000. Yikes!

Does anyone have any experience using the Lewmar V5 or V6 windlass?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. We just want to fix this once and for all, the Ocean Concept 3 was always weak and barely able to do the job.

Pictured below is the Lewmar V6 Bad Boy.

Cheers

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1812.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	156829  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 16:09   #2

Boat: Oyster 66
Re: Lewmar Windlass Pooped, Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Our 16 year old Lewmar Ocean Concept 3 pooped the bed three weeks ago, and it appears that the gearbox is finished. We use this thing daily six months per year to haul up a 45kg (99 pound) Ultra anchor along with it's 1/2 inch (12mm) rode, usually anchored in 30-45ft depths at 5:1. We have 100 meters of chain (315ft)

So here are the questions/options:

1. Replace motor and gearbox with a new Ocean Concept 3 unit. We've already ruled this out due to the fact the failed unit was working at 100% capacity and we don't want a repeat performance. Price: $1,800.

2. Replace entire windlass with a Lewmar V4. We also ruled out this option because even though it's what's on the new Oyster 575, it would be working at 90% capacity.

3. Replace entire windlass with a Lewmar V5. Seems strong enough and is what Lewmar recommends. Price: $4,000-$5,000.

4. Replace entire windlass with a Lewmar V6. Overkill and expensive, but we do use this thing every day, and unlikely we'd ever need to deal with this again, BUT..... $10,000. Yikes!

Does anyone have any experience using the Lewmar V5 or V6 windlass?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. We just want to fix this once and for all, the Ocean Concept 3 was always weak and barely able to do the job.

Pictured below is the Lewmar V6 Bad Boy.

Cheers

Ken
I've got the Lewmar 3000. The closest thing is the V6. It's been totally maintenance and trouble free now. 16 years old. I have a 70kg anchor and 1/2" chain. I would have thought the size down would be adequate.

If you want to swap out for a different make, there is the Maxwell VWC3500 with the chain pipe. It has the same pull as the V5 at 3500 lbs and costs $4800. I am sure it is a good unit.

I have lithium batteries and because they hold their voltage under load do give a lot more power out to the windlass. I'm sure that helps a lot to boost its power.

Can't you rebuild the gearbox? There should only be a few parts. Two gears and four bearings and a slop of grease. That should be it.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:52   #3

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Hi Kenomac, I saw in another more recent thread that you ended up going with a Lewmar V5 as a replacement, but it seemed more appropriate to ask my questions in this thread.

Can you tell me why you chose another Lewmar windlass over another brand like Maxwell or Muir? Was it mostly price, or fit? Did your research convince you that the Lewmar models are superior?

Did the V5 match up with the Ocean 3's existing hole pattern? or did you need to fill the old holes and drill and cut new ones?

Thanks!
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:59   #4

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

I have not seen Ken on here for @ a couple of years now. Not sure what happened to him and his wife; they used to be in the Med every season.
Smokeys Kitchen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:38   #5

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Oh, that's a shame. Thanks for letting me know.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lewmar, wind, windlass