Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2010, 17:22   #1

Boat: Pearson 40
Lewmar V3 or V4 Series Windlass

Hi to all

Just wanted to check in and ask if anyone has installed a Lewmar V3 or V4 series, vertical windlass on their boat (or has one already installed). Wanted to ask as to their experience with the unit - happy, not really, etc.
Also, the website shows about 5 different motor positions and I wanted to know if there are any other positions possible for the motor than the ones listed. Lewmar reps just were not sure if there were any other possibilities besides the listed ones.

I am seriously thinking of installing a V windlass but wanted some opinions from some who have experience with this one.

Thanks much
silverp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 00:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

V4

We have a V4. It's works ok.

In the installation you need to be extra careful that the gear box is mounted under the deck parallel to the to the capstain above deck. It is possible to mount them slightly out of alignment which will cause bushing wear and leaking.

For some reason we have had more carbon dust in the electric motor than I would expect. This causes some problems (over heating and slow turning), but can be fixed by taking off the motor end cap and washing out the carbon dust and cleaning the rotors with a q-tip.

I am not sure what your specific question is about mounting. On page 8 in the manual it shows 5 possible possitions for the motor. These positions keep the motor away from the chain fall. If you put the motor in the 'missing arc' the chain might hit it, which would be a bad thing
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 05:32   #3

HI Evans

Thanks much for that!

I saw an old article of yours of when you changed the windlass to a V4 and started looking at this model. Our configuration is kind of strange, the motor is mounted above the Vberth, almost above our heads and enclosed in a box...Hence, I need to orient the motor forward(towards the bow) so it can fit in the box and not completely take the entire space above our heads. Athwartship would not work as I would have a hard time getting in the Vberth to sleep.

I saw from the online manual that it does not really have a forward position, looks like it might interfere with the chain drop?

I could post a few pics if that would help to visualize better...

Best regards

Ps. just wanted to send Beth our best, we met her at a gam in the Chesapeake bay this September and had a wonderful talk with her.Also great presentation!
She'll remember Cory and Ovi with the Pearson 40 ...
Old 18-01-2010, 07:52   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverp40 View Post

I need to orient the motor forward(towards the bow) so it can fit in the box and not completely take the entire space above our heads.
I am in France and not on Hawk, so don't have the unit to actually look at but . . .

Is possible for the unit to fit in your box with the motor point aft? That would certainly work fine.

If the motor absolutely has to point forward I think it might be possible but I think you would have to add a chain pipe (perhaps just pvc) from deck down past the motor to prevent the chain from swinging/rubbing on the motor. The way it bolts on, there is nothing physical preventing you from mounting in this orientation, its just a 'chain hitting motor' problem, and the way it mounts the motor would be offset a little to starboard (eg away from the chain) so it could just work, but I can understand why it is not one of the recommended positions.

If I looked at my windless I could give you a more definitive answer, but I will not be back until middle of march. Have you tried Lewmar tech support? I know they have had financial problems and perhaps there is no-one let there who knows the windless, bt perhaps they have managed to hold on to a couple old hands who actually know the equipment.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 16:09   #5

Thanks for all the detail. The motor cannot point aft because right behind the box is the hatch and it would block it. As the setup is now, I have a 1 1/2" exhaust hose screwing into the entrance from the hawsepipe and dropping straight between the berths into a box underneath. Works really good and brings the weight back off the bow and low. The physical dimensions of the motor work but Lewmar (even with the new CEO) cannot tell me for sure.... I can wait till March.
Old 26-10-2010, 12:59   #6

Boat: Beneteau 49 - WAKADUI
Thought I should chime in on lack of manual recovery on some Lewmar windlasses...
I have a V4/V5 Lewmar windlass and had a breaker/switch go bad (E-T-A model # 8345-F01A-U0T1-282013-125A) while in the San Juan's this summer. Try hauling up 150 feet of 3/8 inch chain with a honkin big anchor on the end in a 5 knot breeze. No fun!
I am considering purchasing a manual recovery kit (Lewmar part # 66840005. It runs for approx $200) to keep on hand for the future electrical problem. Unfortunately the kit is not something you can keep on permanently but add when power fails.
Todd
Old 12-05-2016, 04:16   #7

Boat: Leopard 48 2016
Re: Lewmar V3 or V4 Series Windlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakadui View Post
Thought I should chime in on lack of manual recovery on some Lewmar windlasses...
I have a V4/V5 Lewmar windlass and had a breaker/switch go bad (E-T-A model # 8345-F01A-U0T1-282013-125A) while in the San Juan's this summer. Try hauling up 150 feet of 3/8 inch chain with a honkin big anchor on the end in a 5 knot breeze. No fun!
I am considering purchasing a manual recovery kit (Lewmar part # 66840005. It runs for approx $200) to keep on hand for the future electrical problem. Unfortunately the kit is not something you can keep on permanently but add when power fails.
Todd
Do you remember where you bought the replacement breaker?
pfatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:10   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Lewmar V3 or V4 Series Windlass

My concern is that I cannot fit a rope as strong as the chain. V4 = 3/8" G43, but only 5/8" rope. So either fit all-chain or face a compromise.

Tags
lewmar