Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2010, 11:37   #16

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildag8r View Post
I have just struck a deal on Columbia 34 in Key West. I will be sailing north to bring her home on east coast of Florida. Any suggested anchoage areas through the Keys. Have not sailed the Florida keys yet so not sure how long it will take. Thanks.
You might want to buy a copy of this: Cruising Guide Florida Keys, Bahamas Cruising Guide, Frank Papy . It's an excellant referance.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 21:40   #17

Wow! I must admit that I did not expect such a bountiful response from you all. I have just taken possession, am sitting at the table, listening to my son complain that he is not tired, while he lays his head on table asking incessant irrelavant questions. I am sure he is tired, I am. But I am also at peace while being lulled by the gentle rock (in Safe Harbor Marina).

Thus far I have verified the need of a main (I knew this before), There is a plow on the bow with chain and rode. VolvoPenta runs and sounds good. Keel bolts look nearly untouched by age and she wasn't one of the attempts at a cored hull. No soft spots noted and no signs of deflection under the mast step. Needs a good cleaning and the engine cover needs to be modified to properly fit over the engine which is obviously not the original (they slid the cover forward which leaves a gap between cowl and hatch base).

As I read through your posts I realize I will have to return to enjoy some FL. Keys sailing but when I do remove from here this time it will be with the main purpose of returnig home without any more delay than needed.

I have no experience sailing the Fl. Keys, most of my time sailing has been the northern Bahamas and the Treasure Coast. Some time with a 41 OI, More with an Ariel and a lot with 18' catamaran. I admit to not spending much time with charts over the past few years (didn't go anywhere I didn't know) but do know how to read and use them. Like the reminder (suggestion) for the towing insurance.

Due to limited time I will be sailing with when I go I had been thinking along the lines of the one suggestion of catching the stream and just running through; won't be alone so weather permitting can leave the helm to my wife and sleep. Still it is always better to know the alternatives in case the need arises.

My son couldn't keep it going and for me it is also time to roll in so I can do a better check in the morning, Thanks to all.
Wildag8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 22:12   #18

you can also check Cruiser's Net it gives a lot of info
s/vfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 18:24   #19

Once again, Thanks to all for the input.
Turned out to be more than advertised.
Even a main sail though it was not supposed to have one.
I think the seller had little understanding of sailing or rigging.
I spent the day in discovery, and untangling lines.
1 hatch to repair and shake out all the sails to verify condition and what they are; only 1 sail bag marked then should be able to head out lest something else arises.
If she is standard keel then 5'6 draft or 4' if shoal; advertised as 5' so will presume 5'6 for now.
Wildag8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 19:38   #20

Boat: Prout Manta 38
Keep an eye on TS Earl. I know it's unlikely to come your way, but you don't want to get caught in unfamiliar waters when a big storm hits.

Carrie
Kimarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 17:37   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39
Re: Known Anchoages in the Florida Keys

Just did a search and found this thread, kindda got me thinking about the Keys, Bahamas, etc, are there many boats at anchorage in these areas with more than 6ft drafts, have never sailed there before but its certainly on our plans! I just checked out The Marathon cam and all the boats at anchor look to be 36ft or smaller from what I could see!! I must confess I had not imagined that 6ft could cause problems?
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:56   #22

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Known Anchoages in the Florida Keys

We were based out of the Florida Keys for 10 years with our 6 foot draft and cruised to the Bahamas often. Never a problem for us, you just need to be aware of your location and there will be some limitations as to where you can go. But it never hindered us at all. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchorages, florida