Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2012, 19:21   #16

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Knot for Attaching Bridle to Rode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutlass View Post
Thanks for all the replies!

I've got a permanent rope bridle with a carabiner that I use for clipping into the chain rode.

I'm curious about the best way to attach this to the line rode when I'm anchoring deep and have all the chain out.

I like the idea of having a separate loop of line and tying a klemheist and then clipping the carabiner to this.

Thanks again
I use Dyneema loops for this purpose along with heavy Wichard snap hooks (SWL 4000kg) that have been spliced into the dedicated bridle lines. I have been using a standard Prussik knot on the loops and it has never slipped, but the klemheist is a variation that looks equally (if not more) secure. I use a mixed rode and the loops are used whether attaching to chain or rope.

Been using this method for about 4 years and I think it's superior to the rolling hitches used prior. It has the added benefit of letting me clip my bridle onto a rented mooring
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 20:01   #17
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

I use a loop of webbing. Tie it to the rode (rope or chain) with a prussik knot then tie it to the loop in your bridle with a sheet bend.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 21:29   #18

Boat: Traditional 30

Bowline in the bight with a snatch block for the bridle.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 04:00   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

I used the Triple Sliding Hitch / Prusik Knot
Prusik Knot | How to tie the Prusik Knot | Climbing Knots

Or the Klemheist Knot
Klemheist (Machard, French Prusik) Knot | How to tie the Klemheist Knot | Climbing Knots

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 08:29   #20

Boat: Beneteau 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I use Dyneema loops for this purpose ...
Do make your Dyneema loops with a splice or a knot?
hlev00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 08:35   #21

Boat: 41' Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

Klemheist is a good knot for taking up tension on a sheet for a winch with an over ride.
Old 28-11-2012, 10:54   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
Do make your Dyneema loops with a splice or a knot?
Well now that you asked: I don't actually use a loop -- I use a short length of Dyneema with an eye spice on each end, and the Prusik is tied in one loop while the Wichard shackle is attached to the other.... but a loop would be used the same. If I were to use a loop I would splice it.

The splice I use is a modified Brummel Splice http://www.colligomarine.com/docs/mi...eb_rev_1_2.pdf

If you're not into splicing you can use pre-made loops from Colligo i Loupes | Colligo Marine

If you do your own splicing, bear in mind Dyneema is slippery: Make sure you use an interlocked splice and not just a simple insertion, or add lock-stitching to your splice.

Here is the type of Wichard spring hook I use Carbine hooks Have been using these for about 13 years and never had one let loose on its own.
Old 28-11-2012, 12:07   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Rolling hitch, as others have suggested. The magic knot for this application, especially on chain. Unlike a Prussik, will not jam under load.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 15:00   #24

Boat: Finnsailer 38

The big disadvantage of the Klemheist knot is that you have to have both ends of the line available. That would eliminate using a line you already have made up leading from a bow eye down by the waterline, which is what I do on both monos and cats. Even when I use a single snubber line from on deck it is nice to leave it cleated off at just about the right spot so I only have to slap it on the main rode with the rolling hitch and then quickly let out enough additional scope on the main rode to make the snubber take the strain while leaving a nice loop in the main chain rode. Don't understand why anyone would use Dyneema as part of the bridle--the elasticity of nylon is what you want.

OT, but a lot of people have very complicated bridle arrangements. You really don't need anything but a piece of line and a knot--simple, works great, no fuss.
Old 29-11-2012, 05:24   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
The big disadvantage of the Klemheist knot is that you have to have both ends of the line available ...
In which case, the Icicle Hitch
http://www.animatedknots.com/iciclee...matedknots.com

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 05:29   #26

Quote:
You haven't tried that one have you? If yes, show us a way to tie that without having one end free (of either the rode or bridle) to put through the loop. It's a bad choice, IMHO.
Old 29-11-2012, 05:31   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
The big disadvantage of the Klemheist knot is that you have to have both ends of the line available. .
That's why we have advocated using the Klemheist and Prusik with a short loop (of either strong webbing or dyneema). If you follow that advice it works perfectly and is easy to deploy, especially in conjunction with a strong snap hook or hooks.
Old 29-11-2012, 14:27   #28

Boat: Fastback 32 cat.

Quote:
The rolling hitch has worked well for me ,but I will try the icicle just for a change.
Ian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 07:02   #29

Boat: Non owned currently

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I use Dyneema loops for this purpose along with heavy Wichard snap hooks (SWL 4000kg) that have been spliced into the dedicated bridle lines. I have been using a standard Prussik knot on the loops and it has never slipped, but the klemheist is a variation that looks equally (if not more) secure. I use a mixed rode and the loops are used whether attaching to chain or rope.

Been using this method for about 4 years and I think it's superior to the rolling hitches used prior. It has the added benefit of letting me clip my bridle onto a rented mooring
Very interested to know more about this:
- please can you confirm which Wichard hook you use as I can't find one that is rated at 4000kg
- do you use 1 snap hook or 2? I am imagining 1 that is attached in the mid point of your bridle. Is that correct, or do is your bridle made up of 2 lines, each with its own snap hook?
Thanks
h_copter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 07:55   #30
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutlass View Post
Sorry! On line

Then a prusik hitch will hold best.

In fact, a rolling hitch will roll and slip on chain at about 50% of the working load of the chain. This has been documented by many and I confirmed this with testing. A luggage tag or prusik is secure. Of course, the rolling hitch will not slip if the rode is never loaded that hard, which it probably won't be with a snubber until the winds top 50 knots. It also depends on the line diameter and weave.

A rolling hitch can be made secure on chain by reversing the last tuck (camel hitch).

BTW, match working load to working load, and breaking strength to breaking strength. When people mix and match it's a little weird. For example, the WWL of 1/2 nylon is about 1500 pounds, and thus a clip with a MBS of about 5000 pounds is enough (the ratio of WLL to MBS varies with the material). For safety equipment you match MBS. For bridles, rode, and things that fail by fatigue, you match WLL. ABYC doesn't even spec MBS, they spec WLL.