Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2011, 12:14   #1

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Just Ordered a New Manson Supreme !

I did not want this to get mixed up with my other anchoring posts today regarding my 88# Delta. Pulled the trigger and got a great bargain ........AT LEAST IT LOOKS LIKE A BARGAIN TODAY ....... on an 80# Manson Supreme!

The big West company matched the big D company at $689.99 AND included FREE SHIPPING...!!! How is that for a great deal!

They have the anchor is stock, will see it in 3-5 business days. The sales person said I should have it by next Thursday. NOW IF THIS ANCHOR FAILS ME, I INTEND TO INCREASE MY DAVIT CRANE (I use to lift/launch my dinghy) TO ABOUT A TON! PURCHASE A CONCRETE BLOCK AND MOUNT IT ON THE BOW SUPPORTED BY THE CRANE. My boat is going to stay anchored one way or another, even if it means my bow is pointing straight down because of the concrete block. Second thought, maybe I need to mount it on the stern or my props will be out of the water

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 14:48   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Just Ordered a New Manson Supreme !

We got ours a few months ago. Fits on our PS 34 bow perfectly. Used it a few time since then ( muddy / oystershell bottom ) and have been very happy.
Cheers,
Erika
Old 23-08-2011, 17:54   #3

Thanks for sharing Erika!

I am in an anticipation mode!

Foggy
Old 23-08-2011, 18:57   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

We used our new Manson for about 2,000 miles of waterway now and it has performed flawlessly. Good luck. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 17:31   #5

Thanks Chuck (Waterwayguy).

My mind is still thinking in circles about the performance, or better, lack of performance my Delta provided. How can that anchor continue to get high praises? And an 88# Delta is gross overkill for my boat.
It causes me to think back many years ago when I purchased a new Volkswagen. That car was touted to be indestructible. I purchased mine new and had so many things fail. I still have a blown/broken piston on my file cabinet at home from the 2nd engine. It has a huge hole in it caused by an exhaust valve head melting off its stem where it floated inside a cylinder to bang on a piston.

I am done with Volkswagens, I am done with Delta anchors. Just don't believe the hype. Thing is with Manson, I have yet to read a negative comment.

Foggy
Old 25-08-2011, 07:23   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Thanks Chuck (Waterwayguy).

. Thing is with Manson, I have yet to read a negative comment.

Foggy
G'DAy Foggy,

Gee, for negative comments just go back and reread some of Craig Smiths many derogatory posts!

But, having used our 60 lb MS for several years of cruising now, I am quite happy with it. I suspect that you will be too.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 25-08-2011, 07:54   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'DAy Foggy,

Gee, for negative comments just go back and reread some of Craig Smiths many derogatory posts!

But, having used our 60 lb MS for several years of cruising now, I am quite happy with it. I suspect that you will be too.

Cheers,

Jim

Heck, don't trash CS! Because of him I got my MS 60# when I orginally was going to get a Roca (after a while of trash talk I start to smell something bad). This worked out because that was before the Roca "issues" came to light. Thanks Craig!
Old 25-08-2011, 18:20   #8

Yes, I have read Craig's posts. I just dismissed him completely because he had/has a vested interest in diminishing all other anchors while praising the Rocna.
Old 25-08-2011, 19:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Heck, don't trash CS! Because of him I got my MS 60# when I orginally was going to get a Roca (after a while of trash talk I start to smell something bad). This worked out because that was before the Roca "issues" came to light. Thanks Craig!
Funny, that was our tipping point too.
E
Old 26-08-2011, 01:58   #10

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Thumbs up Re: Just Ordered a New Manson Supreme !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post

We got ours a few months ago. Fits on our PS 34 bow perfectly. Used it a few time since then ( muddy / oystershell bottom ) and have been very happy.
Cheers,
Erika
Hi Ocean Girl,
Well, it seems to fit OK but could perhaps have something more to keep it in place. I feel it needs something to hold it more securely while pounding to windward. That pin will be useful to hold the chain at anchor.
Cheers
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 02:22   #11
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
Hi Ocean Girl,
Well, it seems to fit OK but could perhaps have something more to keep it in place. I feel it needs something to hold it more securely while pounding to windward. That pin will be useful to hold the chain at anchor.
Cheers
OK, a bit more thread drift - I suspect that OG was just fitting up the MS for trial fit / photo / or something as I am sure that "piece of string" attached to the shank of the anchor is not her normal ground tackle.
OG?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 02:41   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
OK, a bit more thread drift - I suspect that OG was just fitting up the MS for trial fit / photo / or something as I am sure that "piece of string" attached to the shank of the anchor is not her normal ground tackle. OG?
Hmm, I am thinking about sticking the anchor in the bow locker in future rather than having it sticking out of the bows. We sail in crowded waters and busy marinas, so I do worry about what would happen if I hit someone else with the Delta on the bow. Plus what happens when you hit a big wave. Bend the pin and the anchor can't be released, just a thought.

Foggy, we have a Delta too, it's never failed us but then we anchor in sheltered areas. The debate on anchors is interesting, more twists and turns than a Hollywood film. CS should be praised for his efforts to raise awareness of the latest developments in anchors and then sacked for the relentless attacks on anything not Rocna., oh he was
Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 05:51   #13

Pete--

I completely gave up on Delta after upgrading a 55# to an 88#. They both performed in the same manner......... either slipping or plowing.

And yes because I elected to go the Manson route, I plan no future anchoring or testing in Delta land. But something still troubles me about my problems. I have always thought a bigger, heavier anchor was superior to smaller ones. And of course, there is a point where small is just too small. What I am alluding to, is there a case where big can be too big???

Could my problems be that the size of the anchors (with scope 5+) just could not penetrate the bottoms without much more effort to set them than I provided? Sure, I pulled on the Delta with two each big 454 GM's but I just did straight pulls. I wonder.....and that is all I am going to do... if I had pulled both straight back and then to the sides a few times if the anchor would have done a better job of burying itself. Sure, one can dive on their anchor to actually see what it is doing but that is beyond my skills. Just maybe if my Delta was only about 35#s, I might have had a different experience. Just don't know. That is a good question for another thread.

Foggy
Old 26-08-2011, 06:02   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
Hi Ocean Girl,
Cheers
you guys run a tight ship around here, don't miss anything! Not to fear the Manson is safe, I tied a granny knot I can't seem to up load a pic from my iPad , but we have the rode attached and is secured in such a manner as to not deploy accidentally

I did drop anchor in the Atlantic (350 miles offshore) along with all 350ft of rode. Took over an hour to get it back in due to rough weather, totally wet and exhausted! thank God it didn't foul our rudder! I was not the one who secured it for passage but I was the one on watch when it accidentally deployed, lucky me.
Erika
Old 26-08-2011, 06:41   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

In the UK seems that a Manson Supreme runs at around 20% cheaper than a Rocna on a size for size basis.

That and the latest Rocna episode has made my upgrade plans simple.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote