Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 02:35   #46

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Because he was wrong?
Old 09-07-2008, 03:00   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Let's not get personal, please.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:09   #48

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
All fun and games aside.... There is a real need to accomodate visiting cruisers with regard to moorings and dockage and designated municipal anchorages. Mant towns have found this to be a real revenue source.

It is up to the local lawmakers to establish the rules. Killing the wealthy is a bad precedent and messy.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
Old 09-07-2008, 06:41   #49
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
It is up to the local lawmakers to establish the rules. Killing the wealthy is a bad precedent and messy.
If anything, cruisers should be praising this guy. It is successful people like this guy that pay the taxes that even allow these kinds of local services in the first place. And, his $400,000 yacht? Someday a cruiser will be buying it for $150,000 or even less. And, perhaps while a cruiser is in town, this guy will hire you to make a piece of canvas or clean the boat or whatever. And maybe even because he is taking this kind of risk, the boat will be damaged in a storm, and he will sell it to some cruiser for cheap.
Old 09-07-2008, 18:55   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
All fun and games aside.... There is a real need to accomodate visiting cruisers with regard to moorings and dockage and designated municipal anchorages. Mant towns have found this to be a real revenue source.
There are "party" ports (Put In Bay, Oh) that draw lot's of boat bucks but for the average municipality I wonder about the return on transient yachties.

Imagine a town with 20 moorings 80% occupied that has a 6 month sailing season and the average boat spends $50 per day.

16 X 180 X $50 = $144,000

Subtract from that all the refuse hauling, free water, maintain the moorings, administer the moorings etc. and I wonder how much of a money maker it is.

I guess I am saying is that if you are attracting the party boaters with your on-shore activities you can probably charge them for docking and mooring and separate more of their boat bucks from them.
Old 09-07-2008, 19:13   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
What is this? An envy thread!
Could be. It's clearly not on a mooring that is for sure. The thread is clearly adrift if not sinking.
Old 09-07-2008, 20:17   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't know if discussing the economics of municipal moorings is too far off topic.

This is really a thread of opinions not facts...
Old 10-07-2008, 01:13   #53

Mine was a fact.....a few people monopolized a resource to the extent that it made other people who also wanted to use that resource angry. They pointed this out to the port authority. The port authority then did a quiet watch to see who was doing what. It became obvious that "sharing" was not happening. They imposed rules.....lots of rules.....they also went further and ....enforced the rules......Thems that wouldnt share, along with everybody else now have a time limit.
Our jettys now have blue stripes, white stripes, yellow stripes, red stripes and no stripes. As well as signs to tell you what the stripes mean and how many penalty units you will be fined if you disobey the stripes.
If you are in trouble ie engine failure or similar and are trying to do the right thing ( and contact them) they will be very helpful and sympathetic. The great shame is that mid week in winter the pressure is far less on these facilities, compared to high summer school holidays. At this stage there is no plan for seasonal variations to the rules. The port authority didnt want to do it in the first place.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:17   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sorry Cooper - Didn't mean to imply anyone was not speaknig factually. I was referring to the original post from Sean which specifically asked for opinions.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:06   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Sounds like the anchorage area is very limited in size. This should be set aside for transit boaters with some reasonable time limit of say several days to one week. For anyone who wants to stay longer or for local boats it seems there is no shortage of docks or moorings to rent. The cost of the boat or someones wealth should have no bearing on this.

After reading through this thread it seems a few have taken it upon themselves to decide what Sean,s motivation was and then used that to launch into negative personal attacks. I don't see anything wrong with the original question, I am sure it is a problem faced by many coastal communities. I would only say that the "money " issue is irrelevant.

Patrick, age 9
Old 10-07-2008, 08:24   #56

...as my teenagers say...All good Dan... : ) I do understand. i thought I would give my situation as an example of what can happen ...and perhaps that may add another layer, for people to think about when they give there opinion.

cheers
Old 10-07-2008, 10:34   #57

Making Way

Well, I'll state again, but I can only speak for myself, I think it's pretty obvious what Sean's original motivation was— to solicit support in his peeve against someone who didn't conform to his ethos. He's started and contributed to several threads since beginning this one, but has not come back here: apparently this wasn't the discussion he wanted.

That's not an attack, and it's not personal. It's just an observation.

As a result, the thread has evolved in a direction away from social consciousnes and toward municipal planning/regulations, a topic which affects a great many sailors directly and indirectly, and has received thought-provoking input from a variety of posters.

The thread didn't drift: it found its course.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:14   #58
jzk

By anchoring out, this guy freed up one extra slip that can be used by a transient! And the transient will actually get the chance to pay for the services that they use like the showers.
Old 10-07-2008, 13:34   #59

I have no association with the previous poster.
Old 10-07-2008, 13:36   #60

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
I think jzk was being sarcastic
Closed Thread