Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 01:08   #31

And maybee if he continues to stay there the local authorities will be forced to place time restrictions on the use of the anchorage, to allow more people to have a fair go, just like what has happened in my patch.....
Old 07-07-2008, 03:39   #32

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Is it envy?, it's really none of our business!

Quote:
I ask because I'm curious what other boats think. Is it right for someone who isn't on their boat often, is a local sailor (not cruising), and can easily afford proper docks and moorings to take up the anchorage with their $400K boat.
With that sort of attitude I doubt you will ever own a boat of that value to answer the question.

I just flew over in my lear jet to check out what you were talking about. A quick check of the boat registration shows that the boat is owned by a local church vicar. Vicar Dibly is away in South America at the moment setting up another hospital. He saves every cent he gets and donates it to third world countries where he sets up schools and hospitals. One of his congregation died a couple of years ago and gifted him the boat for his work. Part of the will said he could not sell the boat. Being the frugal man he is Vicar Dibly has found the cheapest way to moor the vessel until he figures out how to use in in his work.

Not that the above was really any of our business.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:10   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The query could also be rephrased slightly:
“Is it [more] right to put your boat into the town anchorage if ...”
a - you’re a local sailor, who owns a house, and presumably pays local taxes
or if:
b -you’re working locally, but not paying local taxes,
or if:
c -you’re cruising and not paying ANY taxes?

Old 07-07-2008, 06:06   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Another question for Sean (you sorta put yourself out there) is, "If you were able to get into the mooring, how long do you plan to stay (for free)?"

There is no ethics or morals here. It's a town mooring presumably on a first come first serve basis. The other boat was there first. If one doesn't like the fact that a boat can "overstay" their welcome, one should go to a town council meeting and complain. Democracy is messy.

What about the water fountain in the park? Rich guys should go buy Perrier and not get a free drink? Public toilet?

Hey there's only one room left at the Red Roof Inn but the Hilton is wide open. Rich guys should give up the cheap room for the less affluent?
Old 07-07-2008, 09:24   #35

Boat: Designing a global explorer (full keel & steel)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
it wasn't meant as a personal attack
What??? I only come for here for the personal attacks & to keep others busy correcting my spelling errors (or fishing) etc

Re: Mr Sea-foxy-man, thanks for not giving us a lift in the Lear 45
Old 07-07-2008, 10:07   #36
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Another question for Sean (you sorta put yourself out there) is, "If you were able to get into the mooring, how long do you plan to stay (for free)?"
ROTFLMAO
Old 07-07-2008, 15:09   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

There is no ethics or morals here. It's a town mooring presumably on a first come first serve basis. The other boat was there first. If one doesn't like the fact that a boat can "overstay" their welcome, one should go to a town council meeting and complain. Democracy is messy.

What about the water fountain in the park? Rich guys should go buy Perrier and not get a free drink? Public toilet?

Hey there's only one room left at the Red Roof Inn but the Hilton is wide open. Rich guys should give up the cheap room for the less affluent?
If the rich had to spend their money on the most expensive option for every purchase they would soon be poor.
Old 07-07-2008, 15:10   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by exfishnz View Post
What??? I only come for here for the personal attacks & to keep others busy correcting my spelling errors (or fishing) etc

Trying to save on the fuel. That detour via Aussie chews up quite a few extra thousand dollars.
Old 07-07-2008, 15:34   #39
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
And maybee if he continues to stay there the local authorities will be forced to place time restrictions on the use of the anchorage, to allow more people to have a fair go, just like what has happened in my patch.....
I suspect that the reason for putting a time limitation has more to do with keeping out derlict vessels than making it fair for the next person that wants to come to the town for free.

There is no free lunch. Most would not just anchor their vessels out for the season as it would be more risky and inconvenient than taking a dock or mooring.
Old 07-07-2008, 15:46   #40

What is this? An envy thread!
Old 07-07-2008, 16:10   #41

Personally I think any boat with one of those expensive modern anchors, especially if it is made of expensive stainless steel, shouldn't be allowed to anchor anywhere.

If they can afford anchors like that they can afford to use marinas and leave the anchorages to the rest of us .
Old 07-07-2008, 19:04   #42
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
ROTFLMAO
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
Personally I think any boat with one of those expensive modern anchors, especially if it is made of expensive stainless steel, shouldn't be allowed to anchor anywhere.

If they can afford anchors like that they can afford to use marinas and leave the anchorages to the rest of us .
Quote:
Originally Posted by exfishnz View Post

Quote:
Trying to save on the fuel. That detour via Aussie chews up quite a few extra thousand dollars.
Move over D_O_J, I need some of that floor space myself
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 08-07-2008, 01:56   #43

Boat: Designing a global explorer (full keel & steel)
New book!

Quote:
Just browsing Amazon & I came across a new book by the internationally acclaimed author (& CF member) “Mr Sea-foxy-man”.

(click pic to enlarge)

Click image for larger version

Name:	sea_fox_book.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	4226
Old 08-07-2008, 02:02   #44

VERY GOOD

VERY GOOD
Old 08-07-2008, 11:07   #45

Gee, Sean hasn't been back. I wonder why not?
Closed Thread