Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2019, 14:05   #1

Boat: Alberg 30
In doubt about my Rocna 10

Hello all. I recently upgraded my anchor to a Rocna 10 from a Fortress that came with the boat. I have 80 feet of 5/16 chain and 175 feet of 1/2 inch three strand nylon rode. There was a swivel that came with the boat so I installed that too with shackles to avoid the side load failures I read about. I am doubting this set up now as the guy across from me just showed up and pulled out his ground tackle. It's a lot bigger than mine and the boats are both 30 feet. He uses a Rocna 15 with 135 feet of 5/8 chain and 250 feet of 5/8 rode. I have an Alberg 30 and he has a 30 OD Cape Dory. His boat is heavier but that is a big difference in setup. I am now thinking I need to upgrade. I would appreciate opinions.
Nibor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 14:15   #2

Re: In doubt about my Rocna 10

The sizing guide

Sizing Guide | Rocna Anchors // Rock Solid

seems to think that the 10 will be good for your boat (assuming 4t displacement) up to 50 knots of wind on bad holding.

Hard to know though and there is always the temptation to go larger! I guess if you have an automatic windlass then there is no real harm in it.

They also have some blurb about how they set the recommendations.
Rocna sizing recommendations (Rocna Knowledge Base)
fragglerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 14:27   #3

Boat: Catalina 42

You’re fine. Rocna recommendations are already one size up from most manufacturers. Your setup is perfect.
Empty Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:07   #4

Boat: Alberg 30

Thanks guys.
Nibor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:55   #5

Yipes! .......he has 135' of 5/8" chain @ 4.1 lbs/foot...that's 553 lbs. of chain. I don't think he needs an anchor....

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:36   #6

I think you're fine, too. I have a 34 foot boat with a Rocna 10. Why? 'Cuz I used to live in San Francisco for decades and sized my "anchor SYSTEM" for 42 knots because the weather was much more predictable there than since I moved here in 2016. I do NOT have a windlass. However, in my two + seasons here, I have learned I can pick my anchorages and weather because I have yet to do long distance cruising. A friend and I were caught out on San Juan Island in early April this year when the 40 knot westerlies came through, and we upped anchor right before it hit and hightailed it back to Roche Harbor from Westcott Bay. Most folks with my boat have Rocna 15 anchors and windlasses.

Here's my selection process:

Anchor System Sizing Tables (Reply #6) & Swivels Ground Tackle & Anchor System Sizing TABLES & Swivels

And my friend Steve’s Anchoring 101 ideas (same boat as mine but with a larger Rocna and a windlass)

The Rocna. All 20kg of it with 100ft of chain. The rest of the world can debate all they like. When I pull into a place like Bodega Bay at midnight and the fog is so thick I can't see the jetty 50 feet away to make an entrance, I drop my hook in the rolling ocean swells with the surf crashing (Foster says it's like staying in a cheap Best Western beside the highway), and I sleep. And in the morning I have a windlass to pull the beast up and I wouldn't trade it for anything. (I also wouldn't add more chain - this works perfectly in 25 to 30 feet of water - you let all the chain out and you tie off nylon at the preferred scope and don't bother with snubbers and chain hooks and all that stuff...)
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna