Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2008, 01:17   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
I need a Rocna

The local forcast here in the med is 9 locally 10 with one weather site showing an 11.
See the photo of about 15 mins ago. Note the wind speed is on maximum and sustained winds have mostly only been in the high thirties. I am in a well protected anchorage, but as you can see still went for a drag about 40 mins ago. Surprisingly the plow decided to hold again as I got the engine started.. A big Rocna would be good now. I have ordered one, but it wont be here for another month..

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...x/IMGP0856.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...x/IMGP0854.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0856.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	6078   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0854.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	6079  

noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:59   #2
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
I love my anchor

Rocnas are great!
This was me anchored off Valle Gran rey in La Gomera, Canaries a few weeks ago with 60Kn gusts coming off the mountains in all directions.

Not much sleep that night but didn't drag.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:31   #3
Eternal Member

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I need a Rocna

Why don't you contact them directly ?

It should be more efficient!

João
Old 04-12-2008, 02:45   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancora Latina View Post
Why don't you contact them directly ?

It should be more efficient!

João
Thanks for the suggestion doing that now. We are likely to hit this sort of weather reasonably often at this time of the year and I have lost faith in my plough.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:58   #5

...or any of the other "high hold " anchor manufacturers...,

I find your statement weird...unnecessary, and suspect. If you dont have one that will "save you" why are you yelling for a product that you have not used in this situation?

I have no interest in particular products unless they work AND i can afford them. I find your enthusiasm a pure product endorsement without substantiation. If that bran is so good ....why is it not on board as a first choice?

This is the internet and it seems truth is a malleable thing.;

After all this site now has a "button to press"....
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:06   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
I find your statement weird...unnecessary, and suspect. If you dont have one that will "save you" why are you yelling for a product that you have not used in this situation?
If that bran is so good ....why is it not on board as a first choice?
[quote=cooper;229775

Wow did someone get out of the wrong side of the bed. I am even a fellow Aussie.
You are of course entitled to find my post "weird and unnecessary”. I assume by “suspect you think I may be associated with Rocna in some way. Let me reassure you I have no even remote association at all (other than recently ordering one of their anchors) zip nada non.
A Rocna anchor is not on board at present because I purchased my boat second hand with a 75LB plough. I expected good performance from the plough having used one very successfully on my old yacht. Its taken me a year of dragging to loose faith in it. I must be a slow.
I am not endorsing a Rocna anchor, my post makes it clear I have not got one yet. The only conclusion you can draw about anchors is that I am not happy with my current plough anchor.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:40   #7
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Noelex, I agree with you completely. Nothing wrong with your post and it confirms what many have been saying about their own plow anchors. As to the Rocna - yes, you make it clear that you don't have one. I assumed that your hope for this anchor was based upon not only the literature, but testimonials on this and other sailing/cruising sites. I for one would be interested in a direct comparison once you have received and used yours for awhile - please keep us posted.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:50   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Noelex's interest in anchors is well-documented in his very interesting thread Anchor Comparisons.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:14   #9

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
conachair Looks to me as you have one long drag line in the middle! According to your scale that's a 100 meter line and I don't know if you had 100 meters of scope out.
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:22   #10

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Worked for me!

We have a smaller boat, 30' shoal keel, 9,500 lbs but dragged from 2AM till sunrise last year with a 35 lb. CQR. Like anyone else would I went shopping, did research and was convinced Rocna was good. We did not drag at all this past year. I'm sure some of the other new anchors would have worked too, but when you have a lot of people who own the product continue to reccommend it...that says a lot.

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:31   #11

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
"One ferro 30 on the water, one steel 38 on the land, .........not a lot of time....."
Look no further to see why Cooper is miserable.

As for the Rocna, I've only seen them at the shows, but when I drag those little 3" anchors thru sand and gravel they stick like glue! This would be my first choice right now. My boat has a CQR, a DeepSet Danforth, and a Bruce. I'll be selling a few and getting a Rocna soon. Can I buy them directly from ya, noelex?

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:04   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
I have a Rocna 33kg on our 44' cruising cat and love it. Really sets well and quickly. However, as I learned (the hard way), it is not a substitute for poor anchoring practice. We were in the Bahamas, well-anchored, but had to go out and do a memory dump. Well, when we came back our spot was taken. So, we went elsewhere in the anchorage and thought we had done everything by the book, but I got busy and distracted and neglected to actually dive on the anchor. Well, wouldn't you know it, after a quite calm day it started blowing like snot (at 2 a.m., of course!) and we drug. After a bit more experience with the anchor, I figure we must have landed in a patch of thick grass, but since I didn't go look, I can't be sure. While the anchor does usually do fine in grass, sometimes it takes a bit of extra punch to get it through and set.

Other than that one time, though, and with better anchoring practice, I've been very satisfied with the buy, expensive though it was. One other comment about the Rocna: I've taken to almost always running an anchor buoy/retrieval line with it. I've had two times where it was set very hard and had problems breaking it out. The first time required a quick dive; the second time the buoy line did the trick.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:06   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks everyone for the comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkall View Post
conachair Looks to me as you have one long drag line in the middle! According to your scale that's a 100 meter line and I don't know if you had 100 meters of scope out.
Yes that is one long drag. The GPS plot might be a bit small to see so to explain it:
The anchor position is is set south of the picture on the screen. The semicircle at the bottom of the screen is when the anchor was holding, but the yacht was rotating in an arc around the anchor.
We then go for a long drag as you correctly point out about 100m virtually due north. The anchor then holds again and we star a new semicircle. we then go for a shorter drag and rehold.
The crosses you can see are waypoints added to provide a reference point to see if the boat is moving. We have been at the anchorage for a week or so so their is quite a few of them.
One good thing about this anchor is it seems to drag slowly. The 100m took about 10mins. I started the engine, and got ready to pick up the anchor, but as there was no danger and the wind was forcast to ease I monitored the situation. I have since reanchored.

I had 50m of 13mm chain attached to a 75 Lb plough copy. There was 10m of 20mm nylon snub line attached at about the 40m mark.
I was anchored in just over 5m. The bottom juding by what has come up with the anchor when I have anchored before (I have not dived here) appears to be thickish mud with minimal weed.
The yacht is 47 feet and about 14.5 tons.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:47   #14

Boat: Stevens 47
I have a Rocna 33kg on my 47ft Stevens and I LOVE it....held in sustained 60knt winds without a worry...has NEVER dragged and I'm almost always anchored out....it is an outstanding anchor
Old 04-12-2008, 08:07   #15

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I thought that bouy lines for anchors were not allowed in the Bahamas? We anchored with a spade on our PDQ 36 and found it excellent for sand, but insufficient for rock, very light fluffy mud and turtle grass. It was better than our CQR for mud, but still nothing compared to a danforth. I will probably choose a Rocna based on peoples real world experience like yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
I have a Rocna 33kg on our 44' cruising cat and love it. Really sets well and quickly. However, as I learned (the hard way), it is not a substitute for poor anchoring practice. We were in the Bahamas, well-anchored, but had to go out and do a memory dump. Well, when we came back our spot was taken. So, we went elsewhere in the anchorage and thought we had done everything by the book, but I got busy and distracted and neglected to actually dive on the anchor. Well, wouldn't you know it, after a quite calm day it started blowing like snot (at 2 a.m., of course!) and we drug. After a bit more experience with the anchor, I figure we must have landed in a patch of thick grass, but since I didn't go look, I can't be sure. While the anchor does usually do fine in grass, sometimes it takes a bit of extra punch to get it through and set.

Other than that one time, though, and with better anchoring practice, I've been very satisfied with the buy, expensive though it was. One other comment about the Rocna: I've taken to almost always running an anchor buoy/retrieval line with it. I've had two times where it was set very hard and had problems breaking it out. The first time required a quick dive; the second time the buoy line did the trick.

ID
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna