Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 13:08   #31

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Rangiroo I get a kick out of the description. Isn't the Plough based on the Screw. No one describes a screw as a piece of metal that pulls out chuncks of wood. It it has nothing to pull against it will continue to go deeper. Same with the Plough and the CQR and the Delta and I suspect the fake New Anchors (I call them fake cause I don't really believe that they haven't in some form been tried before, maybe not marketed in the same way but I'm not myopic enough to think we're really all that creative. Just my 2 cents). If there is nothing pulling up but only forward they'll continue to go deeper.

However; seems most to me that the newer generation of anchors are designed to be pulled and bury at shorter scopes. There in lies some of the rub when we compare apples to oranges. Be that as it may I'm all for lots of options on a boat.

Hell, the wife say's I'm addicted to anchors.
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 14:10   #32

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
DKall, if ya screw a screw into Playdoh, all the while trying to pull it out as hard as ya can...THATS more like anchoring. The CQR is PLOW shaped. A plow is not designed to anchor your horses to the ground. It's designed to go down so far, create a furrow, and pull thru with the least resistance possible. I understand why they make decent anchors...but not the BEST ones!

BTW, I love Westsail 42s! There was one at the Annapolis show this year, and I took pictures, I loved it so much!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 16:45   #33
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
On Rocna's advice, we do not use a swivel. They said they've seen a few cases of the anchor breaking swivels, so I decided to follow their suggestion. I have to manually untwist the chain every now and then, but not a big deal.
That's interesting. I wonder why the very Rocna person who wrote that buys swivels off us for their anchors then?

We have sold over 4000 swivels in the last 8 years and we have seen plenty of bent anchor shanks with perfectly fine swivels on the end of them, inc Rocna...... Oppps

It's all about quality and set-up. Get both right and swivels can save you time and money.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 22:21   #34

Boat: Norseman 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangiroo View Post
They spent 700 years perfecting the plough....it is DRAGGED behind an ox and turns over the soil....nuff said!!
True but they only use one sided ploughs, put two together and the forces that cause them to dig in are now opposed so it wants to keep digging in and now you have an anchor
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:21   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I've been trying to get a Rocna from SS 33kg for several weeks now...the manufacturer passed me on to a US distributor. Initial emails were good but, I've sent two emails since the 13th of Nov. trying to get a price...still no word....business must be good for them!!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:08   #36

Boat: sv ZILVER-Kalik 44
Our Rocna 25KG is still one of the best investments we made on our boat. We had to change the anchor roller, because our previous didn’t fit well. We had a CQR 55 lbs. but it disappointed us a lot.
We love the Rocna (including a 90 meter chain (12 mm) and 50 meter rope), it sets easy en gives us a relaxed en save feeling, even with strong winds and a few days not on board.

Paul Willems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:09   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Rocna have managed to get delivery of an anchor for me sooner, with a slight extra shipping charge. So hopefully by next week my dragging escapades should be over.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:14   #38
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Gmac --

I'm not at all opposed to a swivel in concept, so long as you say, it is proper quality and set-up. I can understand how it would save me some time, but how would it save me money?

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:20   #39

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Paul,
I'm curious, is your Ronca set up the same way as your CQR was? Same length of chain, same size, back up by the same Nylon? Or did you change something and what was it?
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:41   #40

Boat: sv ZILVER-Kalik 44
Rocna setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkall View Post
Paul,
I'm curious, is your Ronca set up the same way as your CQR was? Same length of chain, same size, back up by the same Nylon? Or did you change something and what was it?
Hi David,
No I didn’t change anything. The set up is the same. With the Rocna you should think that you need less chain then with the CQR when you make anchorage, but that is not true. We try to live by our anchorage rule: with 4 Beaufort. you use 3 times the length of the depth of the chain and for every extra Bfr you use 1 extra length of chain. So if you anchor in 7 meters, and the wind is 4 Bfr, you use 7 times 3 = 21 meters of chain. Well you know; anchoring is subjective and the scope can change with all kind of variables: wind shifts, waves, currents, different seabed’s or conditions.

The difference is that the Rocna immediately sets and the CQR keeps dragging for a while and the same situation happens when the wind starts blowing hard. The Rocna will even not move from its spot anchoring in a tidal river

Weighing my Rocna is completely different then with the CQR: the Rocna holts firmly and you really need to ride over your anchor.

I still have my CQR on board and a Fortress galvanised 20kg, the idea is to connect the fortress in front of the Rocna when the **** hits the fan. The Rocna has pre installed fittings for a second anchor. The CQR is my spare. It is not a bad anchor: I used it for many years but the Rocna made anchoring much easier and more reliable.

Safe winds!
Paul
www.zilverzeiler.nl
Paul Willems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 15:10   #41
Eternal Member

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Willems View Post

I still have my CQR on board and a Fortress galvanised 20k
Fortress galvanised 20k ????????????????????????????????????????????

João Nodari
Old 12-12-2008, 17:30   #42
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
Gmac --

I'm not at all opposed to a swivel in concept, so long as you say, it is proper quality and set-up. I can understand how it would save me some time, but how would it save me money?

ID
Just reduces damage to the bow roller, winch gypsy and sometimes the paintwork on the stem Generally longer term savings but we have seen some nice damage from anchors coming up backwards and then flipping over.

Also a good swivel is stronger than the shackles most use. Said shackles are a cause of anchor lose, not masses of them but noticable in the statistics.

If you use a rope to chain rode they are great for saving bucks. The number of lengths of chain and anchors we have replaced from spinning anchors has been huge.

James S - Stainless Rocna like this for example. This was a one off and I don't know if they are making any or if they are, whether the finish is this flash. The bloke in the photo is Peter Smith by the way.

FYI - Stainless Supreme anchors are common if you get stuck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	peter-smith-with-rocna-ss55 300pc.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	6203  
Old 12-12-2008, 17:48   #43
Marine Service Provider

Hey, Raya anchor bloke, that's you by the way João

You doing stainless ones yet? Couldn't see any on your website but then I may have missed them. I'm good like that sometimes.
Old 12-12-2008, 21:56   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
GMac
I just ordered a 33kg SS Rocna from Suncoast marine...he sent a pic and its almost to nice to send over the roller.
But very many boat bucks.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2008, 00:06   #45
Marine Service Provider

I bet I know someone who will be double.....no make that, triple checking his anchor to chain connection when the 1st deployment happens. My crystal ball is telling me it could be someone called James

They sure are a glamorous bit of kit.

Tags
rocna