Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-11-2010, 20:47   #31

Boat: Allures 44
Thanks for the tips, Craig!

Old 19-11-2010, 20:55   #32

Boat: gozzard 44
Craig,

What's your opinion of Quickline swivels (obviously not the Boyut made USF8 swivels recently recalled by Quickline).

Ronbo

Old 19-11-2010, 21:04   #33
Marine Service Provider

Quickline is the US importer for Turkish outfit Boyut who make amongst other things a copy of the Spade anchor and a copy of the Wasi PowerBall swivel. By USF8 I take it you mean the 'Flip Swivel #8' specifically. About the Ultra swivels generally:

To repeat myself from above, my opinion on these “ball-and-socket” designs is that they’re pointless.
The objective is ostensibly to alleviate the lateral loading on the swivel joint. However the more important issue is not this but rather the lateral leverage on the jaw sides when attached directly to the anchor, which both these ball designs still do!
Furthermore, the ball-and-socket allows an articulation of only 30 degrees. Hardly the 90 you might think is required. What is the point? It is a gimmick.

As to the Quickline specifically, it is produced in Turkey by the same outfit that make the “Ultra” copy of the Spade anchor (from only weak 316 stainless). Given the character of most imitators I would consider the quality suspect unless proven otherwise. There is a promo video which purports to demonstrate a supposed self-righting feature of this swivel in action, but it is really total nonsense, and the contents of their other literature does not inspire confidence.
Old 20-11-2010, 05:04   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john Fussell View Post
... Why would I want the shackle to be the weak point.?
I dont want a weak point ...
You don't get to choose whether or not to have a weak point; only where it occurs.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 05:15   #35
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You don't get to choose whether or not to have a weak point; only where it occurs.
LOL.... Nice one Gord..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 05:34   #36

Boat: Hunter 45CC
OK Guys, I didn't expect to ignite such controversy over a swivel.

My take away from this is :

1) I need to get a (good quality) bow shackle onto the shack of my #44 Delta instead of the galvanised swivel pin going through the shank.

2) Consensus is that there is a theoretical corrosion risk mixing stainless hardware on galvanized chain, but it's unlikely to be an issue on an average cruising boat.

3) These swivels are designed to attach directly to the anchor shank, but that's a poor idea because of the risk of side loads levering the jaws open. Personally, this seems unlikely if the pin doesn't fail, but since others have seen this happen, I don't like to take the risk I'm wrong.

The particular swivel I have is a heavy and beautifully engineered piece of kit, not typical if Chinese / Far East copies, but has no SWL or manufacturer's marks on it, so I'm now going to use it as a paperweight :-(

Thanks for all the comments.

Duncan
Old 24-02-2012, 16:01   #37

Boat: Larson 250 Cabrio
Re: How to Thread-Lock Anchor Swivel ?

I have been researching similar and would like to pass on guidance direct from Sandy Adams of Loctite / Henkel:

"Water immersion AFTER the product is FULLY CURED is fine. Full cure on stainless steel is highly unpredictable. I recommend using Loctite Primer 7649 with Loctite 242 in order to ensure a full cure within 24 hours. "
Old 24-02-2012, 16:24   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, GopherBaroque.

Thanks for sharing.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 21:20   #39

Boat: ...between boats...

My mentor believed in overkill and a good nights sleep so I just spot weld the pins on the swivel and anchor in place. Cut the shackle eye off, too. Drop forged galvanized swivels (are preferred) or stainless all weld just fine. Every couple of years just sawzall off the anchor shackle and last couple of links with the swivel and put new ones in place when swapping the chain end for end. Never missed the couple feet off the all chain rode.
Old 24-02-2012, 23:09   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_ellison
OK Guys, I didn't expect to ignite such controversy over swivels.

Duncan
LOL!! You think this was a controversy? Just wait 'til someone beings up anchors or Colregs!! It's just like at the family table and everyone has a view and usually there is a debate but in the end -most still get along and have fun. It's a fun & knowledgeable group. Welcome!!
Old 29-02-2012, 10:58   #41

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

my two bobs worth - heavy gal connectors and swivels such as those used for industrial lifting are cheap, strong and last quite a long time. Personally i wouldnt waste my money on ss fittings anywhere in the ground tackle system. (i do use ss locking wire on the anchor chain shackles - i only used it cos i had it leftover from my days fixing old harleys but it has proved surprisingly rust proof even in contact with mild steel)
Old 29-02-2012, 19:12   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows
my two bobs worth - heavy gal connectors and swivels such as those used for industrial lifting...)
I've been reading the Absolute Immunity thread WAY too much because I read this as my two b@@bs worth and I started feeling disgruntled at your use of 'heavy gal' connectors for industrial lifting!! Sorry, couldn't pass that one up!! LOL!!
Old 29-02-2012, 19:23   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Looking for a new boat

I will never, ever use an anchor or mooring swivel. One year right before a big blow I went out too check my mooring, I picked it up once and looked it over for corrosion and chafe and put it back in and went about my business. I had a nagging feeling and an hour later went back out and checked it again sure enough I picked it up and plunk! there goes the swivel bolt to the bottom of the ocean and up I come with the bridle. So there you have it. I would have lost my boat and livelihood all because of a stupid design.

Chain does not have a lay. Unlike rope it won't spin to the point of kinking when you put pressure on it. So in that sense you really don't need it for anchoring. As for a mooring. I have seen bridles "hung down" on moorings with swivels just as often as I have seen it on them without.

It is a totally useless piece of gear.
Old 01-03-2012, 22:16   #44

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
I've been reading the Absolute Immunity thread WAY too much because I read this as my two b@@bs worth and I started feeling disgruntled at your use of 'heavy gal' connectors for industrial lifting!! Sorry, couldn't pass that one up!! LOL!!
thats an image i could do without...
Old 02-03-2012, 15:57   #45

I have the same decision to make.
I also do not want to insert a weaker link than the chain .
I have new anchors, and 2 sets of 1/2" bbb chain.
Experimenting on the hard:
A larger shackle(pin) affects the rollers.
Have a wichard shackle(uses flush allen head) - is 12mm and rated at 4500lbs -same as chain.
However, it "seems" too small - as in the diameter and gauge.
I have a swivel rated at 3000kg - but I am worried about the same issues as lateral pull failure mentioned here. (I reckon a shackle can suffer from some of the incorrect pulling angles as a swivel - if too small in diameter)
Set it up with a short length of chain - but then requires 2 shackles. And doesn't run as smoothly over the rollers as it does on the shank of the anchor.
I had a "wozi-ball"(sp?) Was fine except stuck the first time I used it (was probably on the hard for 2 years previously) Otherwise no problems...
And does that locktite red really work so well? If so why not weld it? And why not just weld an oversized ss ring between the anchor and chain?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1076.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	415.9 KB
ID:	38200   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1075.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	440.0 KB
ID:	38201  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1074.jpg