Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2013, 13:35   #1

How to Make a Snubber-Bridle Question

Hi,
I'd like to make something like one of these snubber/bridles shown below.

- The second image would seem easiest to make...how do you put a thimble in the middle of 3-strand like that? Whip only?

- The top image is interesting also...at the "Y" intersection, how do you splice 3 3-strand lines together like that? Or splice a line into a mid-point of a second line?

- The plan is to use it on chain rode. I've yet to grab a mooring ball, but how would I use this to attach to a mooring ball (I assume it has a thimble as well)...some sort of snap hook?

Thanks for the education.

67Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 13:51   #2
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch
Re: How to Make a Snubber-Bridle Question

Get "The complete riggers apprentice" by brian toss and you'll be doing it in no time. Very simple stuff. Not so easy to explain on the net.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 13:53   #3

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

BoatUS - BoatTech - Splicing Three-strand Rope

3 - Strand Eye Splice Instructions

For starters

In pic two the thimble is, I believe, simply put in the middle of the line and siezed. I doubt it is spliced.

If clipping to a mooring a large (and expensive) clip could be used. I just used two lines and led them through the mooring eye back to the boat. Easy to adjust and slip.
Old 30-01-2013, 13:53   #4
cruiser

If your in key west I'll whip ya up one tomorrow morning.
Old 30-01-2013, 14:01   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

I don' t like the Y version for snubber. Can' t see how you would release it under pressure, plus you can't adjust the length.
I also don't see how the splice is done on tbe second one. I use this one that uses two seperate lines.
Attached Images

Old 30-01-2013, 14:07   #6
cruiser

The snubber in the first pic (Y snubber) is good but each leg actually needs to be 35 feet long to be useful, the pic makes them seem very short. then its adjustable and removeable.
Old 30-01-2013, 14:16   #7

Boat: Lagoon 440

Everything you need :-http://www.animatedknots.com/splice/index.php#Movie
Old 30-01-2013, 14:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
The snubber in the first pic (Y snubber) is good but each leg actually needs to be 35 feet long to be useful, the pic makes them seem very short. then its adjustable and removeable.
Don't see how it is adjustable or removeable if you use the eye splices. Without, sure.
Old 30-01-2013, 16:27   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Get "The complete riggers apprentice" by brian toss and you'll be doing it in no time. Very simple stuff. Not so easy to explain on the net.
^This

I have a dog eared copy I was given the first day I started working as a rigger's apprentice. It's been with me ever since. The original on mys desk, a copy in my sailing bag.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 16:36   #10
cruiser

The eyes are at the bitter end and not really needed, I have 2 -35 foot legs on mine with eyes but allmost never have the whole length out. If I did I would use the eyes, but most of the time its only 12 or so feet out per leg. So its adjustable and removable. Its length is adjustable, and I can take it off so its removable. How is this confusing?
Old 30-01-2013, 16:40   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
In pic two the thimble is, I believe, simply put in the middle of the line and siezed. I doubt it is spliced.

If clipping to a mooring a large (and expensive) clip could be used. I just used two lines and led them through the mooring eye back to the boat. Easy to adjust and slip.
I couldn't tell if it was just seized or somehow spliced. Something like this but with a thimble?

Quote:
If your in key west I'll whip ya up one tomorrow morning.
Not there...yet

Quote:
Wow that seems long. I was thinking each leg would have been 10' or so. I think I'm going to go with pic 2 anywho...I don't understand how you would splice to the middle of a line and I couldn't find anything on the net to explain it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Everything you need :-http://www.animatedknots.com/splice/index.php#Movie
I saw that site. Good pics. Unfortunately nothing on how to splice to the middle of a line like in the first picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Don't see how it is adjustable or removeable if you use the eye splices. Without, sure.
Probably a dumb question...Why would I want to make it adjustable? Full disclosure, I haven't anchored this boat much. When I have, I used mostly rope rode and tied it off to one of the side bow cleats rather than leaving the strain on the bow roller. The result is that the boat sails tremendously...I'm pretty sure I cover more ground at night at anchor than I do all day sailing to get there. I'm hoping to fix that with 1) all chain, 2) a bridle-type snubber. I figured I wouldn't want it to be adjustable, but equal on both sides...no?
Old 30-01-2013, 16:43   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
^This

I have a dog eared copy I was given the first day I started working as a rigger's apprentice. It's been with me ever since. The original on mys desk, a copy in my sailing bag.
I'll take yours and RR's advice and look for a copy. Thanks.
Old 30-01-2013, 16:57   #13

Quote:
The eyes are at the bitter end and not really needed, I have 2 -35 foot legs on mine with eyes but allmost never have the whole length out. If I did I would use the eyes, but most of the time its only 12 or so feet out per leg. So its adjustable and removable. Its length is adjustable, and I can take it off so its removable. How is this confusing?
It's not confusing. Putting in the extra eyesplices is a waste and when used cannot be released under pressure.
Old 30-01-2013, 17:00   #14

You want the snubber adjustable so that in tough conditions you let out more line and thus get more dampening from the additional stretch.
You want it easily removable under pressure in case you need to do a panic re-anchor.
Old 30-01-2013, 17:18   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
You want the snubber adjustable so that in tough conditions you let out more line and thus get more dampening from the additional stretch.
You want it easily removable under pressure in case you need to do a panic re-anchor.
Ah...For some reason I had it in my mind you meant side to side adjustable and I couldn't understand why anyone would do that. Duh. Ha!