Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2018, 14:31   #16

Re: How strong is a Cleat Hitch?

Turns out it depends on which cleat hitch.

The "half wrap" hitch favored in North America where the line only goes halfway around the cleat before going over a horn will slip long before the line breaks if the line is small for the cleat (as most dock lines are for marina cleats). Extra loops over the horn won't help.

The "full wrap" where the line goes all the way around the base before going over a horn is favored in Europe and is much more secure - but if the line is big for the cleat it can be hard to free.

This was all news to me as I've always tied the half-wrap. Perhaps this can be the new "anchor" thread issue. The whole anchor thing seems to have died down.

In this video, the expert recommends only using the half-wrap if you plan to keep the boat in sight.

CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 16:12   #17
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Turns out it depends on which cleat hitch.

The "half wrap" hitch favored in North America where the line only goes halfway around the cleat before going over a horn will slip long before the line breaks if the line is small for the cleat (as most dock lines are for marina cleats). Extra loops over the horn won't help.

The "full wrap" where the line goes all the way around the base before going over a horn is favored in Europe and is much more secure - but if the line is big for the cleat it can be hard to free.

This was all news to me as I've always tied the half-wrap. Perhaps this can be the new "anchor" thread issue. The whole anchor thing seems to have died down.

In this video, the expert recommends only using the half-wrap if you plan to keep the boat in sight.

Those guys at APS have what I think is the best answer here to the cleat knot discussion. Sizing the cleat to the line is a big deal. If the cleat is too large for the line wrapping more tuns on the cleat before the crossing hitches (just like putting more turns on a winch) will give you extra purchase and the line will not slip. The top locking cross pattern doesn't hold much extra and putting more crossing loops doesn't help much. The only downside to putting more turns on the bottom is that unlike a winch (or like one when you get an over-wrap) it might not come off as easily.

How to Tie a Cleat Hitch, Three Ways | APS Advisor
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 17:55   #18

Boat: 2016 Bayliner Element

Hello,
With a cleat you will use a round turn and then some 3 figure 8’s then the hitch.
If the line is 100% the round turn will be about 75% of that and the cleat hitch maybe just get very tight.
On large ships I’ve worked on we don’t use cleat hitched because you may need an axe to get it back off and the price of the line makes that expensive.
Good luck
Chas.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 17:57   #19

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
Those guys at APS have what I think is the best answer here to the cleat knot discussion. Sizing the cleat to the line is a big deal. If the cleat is too large for the line wrapping more tuns on the cleat before the crossing hitches (just like putting more turns on a winch) will give you extra purchase and the line will not slip. The top locking cross pattern doesn't hold much extra and putting more crossing loops doesn't help much. The only downside to putting more turns on the bottom is that unlike a winch (or like one when you get an over-wrap) it might not come off as easily.

How to Tie a Cleat Hitch, Three Ways | APS Advisor
Agreed. I was thinking, bah, I'm not going to watch this video...I know how to tie to a cleat. But this video gave me more depth on the subject.
Old 24-05-2018, 18:10   #20

Boat: 2016 Bayliner Element

When I was in school, years ago. They rated the bowline was about 95%. The granny knot was rated about 50% or less.
Good luck,
Chas.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 18:56   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusK View Post
Agreed. I was thinking, bah, I'm not going to watch this video...I know how to tie to a cleat. But this video gave me more depth on the subject.

And then it started...

Don't just accept that video as gospel.

Personally I disagree with his conclusions.

As far as I'm concerned, the risk of multiple turns around the cleat and a single crossover followed by a weather hitch has far too much risk of over-rides under the horns if loads are variable - and resultant jams.

I'll stick with my single turn and multiple Figure 8s.

I can't agree that additional Figure 8s don't add much. Not only do you get additional friction round each horn (where the bearing surface is actually greater than the bearing surface of a half turn around a leg), you also get a "pinch friction" effect between lines running in opposite directions.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 19:08   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas.7 View Post
When I was in school, years ago. They rated the bowline was about 95%. The granny knot was rated about 50% or less.
Good luck,

95% of line strength? That's remarkably high. Most "authorities" put it t around 65% ater considerable testing.

I don't know of anyone who has bothered to test a granny knot. My guess would be that it will fail at a lot less than 50%.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 19:13   #23

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

It is an interesting video. I was taught full round, lock, then the xtra rounds to clean up excess line, and give extra hold.
So same as the video, just adding the xtra rounds after instead of before. It does seem to hold well.
As someone else mentioned earlier, the lag screws let go of the rotten lumber before the hitch fails.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 04:37   #24

Boat: no boat any more

youall krauz at heart?
Old 25-05-2018, 09:27   #25

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
As someone else mentioned earlier, the lag screws let go of the rotten lumber before the hitch fails.
Right so and not just of the rotten lumber. The problem with the recommendations on the video is the sizing is for pier queens or as said in the beginning "lunch hitches". Not for serious duty to speak of, not with the size of the bolt holes they have..

Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 14:10   #26
Marine Service Provider

If a proper cleat hitch with a suitable line size is used the cleat will rip out of the boat before either the hitch slips or the line breaks. I can send you a picture of my boat in the BVI with a 3x1 foot long fiberglass piece of the boat gone where the cleat was mounted. Somewhere that cleat and line are still attached to each other, probably on the bottom, still secured to a sunken dock. Most of the docks were only destroyed because boats were tied to them. At some point in the storm, should the boats have been cut loose to save the docks and save even worse damage to the boats?
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 14:02   #27

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
Around our marina, it's as strong as the lag bolts that hold the cleat to the rotten fingers.
No kidding... our cleat bolts and fingers are a joke.
Old 28-05-2018, 14:29   #28

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

I take pictures of distinctive cleat hitch implementations, and I have a couple you might find amusing:

This one will probably hold quite a bit, though they're not gonna have a quick getaway..

This is how Chapman's tells you to do it, though some folks don't like the Flemish coil as it can grab your foot.

This is how I did my "home base" docklines - spliced up well in advance, with color-coded chains and cleats (the two lines here are bow breast and forward spring lines) and spliced loops on the boat end. Chafe protection over the line at the boat cleat and chocks.
Makes giving one to a dockside helper easy ("just put it over the yellow cleat, please") and not prone to any chafe issues. The breast lines had rubber snubbers. I believe the weakest link here is still the cleat and it's bolts.
I swear I saw this in Chapman's, but it isn't in the current edition.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cleat-6030031.JPG
Views:	3115
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	170692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cleat-6030033.JPG
Views:	2072
Size:	340.3 KB
ID:	170693  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cleat-6030041.JPG
Views:	2007
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	170694  
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 14:38   #29
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas.7 View Post
Good luck,

"When I was in school, years ago, they rated the bowline at about 95% of line strength. The granny knot was rated at about 50% or less.
Good luck."

The bowline is typically 45-60% of line strength. The granny know is not a proper knot and is seldom tested. You may have missed a few things.
Old 28-05-2018, 15:35   #30
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

The bowline should break at about 2/3 the line strength +/- depending on the type and material of the cordage used.

When it doubt, turn to science with observation and experimentation using controlled testing.

She blinded me with science.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote