Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2018, 17:22   #76
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: How much is too much (anchor and chain)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Yes, they seem to confuse the facts when their insecurities are involved.
Thanks for the laugh!
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 23:57   #77

Boat: Robert Tucker Beagle. LOA:28ft, Beam: 11ft

It may be a good idea to make a chain locker in the saloon at the foot of the mast. it's weight too far fwd that could be an issue. particularly if your boat has fine bows. I would not recommend reducing the gear. better to store it low and midships.
I have a 40lb CQR, a 30lb BRUCE, a 50lb folding fisherman and a 20 lb danforth on a 28ft boat displacing 5 tonnes. 150 ft of 8mm chain 150 ft of anchorplait plus more rope.but then my cruising ground is the western part of the english channel.

you will be grateful for heavy gear when it blows
turtleofdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 00:09   #78

Boat: Parkstone Bay 21

Grateful when it blows..... ABSOLUTELY! And use all the scope you have. I got rid of a CQR (in fact a lookalike) from my little MB in Poole and put on a Delta type and I love it.
parkstone bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:22   #79

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkstone bay View Post
Grateful when it blows..... ABSOLUTELY! And use all the scope you have. I got rid of a CQR (in fact a lookalike) from my little MB in Poole and put on a Delta type and I love it.
Should you be going to the med, you might want to take a look at the thread "Pictures of Anchors Setting" posted by noelex. There will be many pictures of Delta anchors and how they behaved in those bottoms.

There are differences between how different anchors behave in different bottoms. In addition, there is another thread, "Videos of Anchors Setting" posted by Panope. There is more info there.

Ann
Old 03-07-2018, 15:53   #80

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Hi work out your maximum Depth to anchor in and x 3 simples
Maybe a little extra to be sure, not in your waters but I have 7m of chain and then a good rope to 50m
Normally would not anchor in more than 10m so I have 30m for use and a spare 20m of rope just in case
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 20:57   #81

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

Why is it that an anchor that has served boaters for decades is now considered scrap and needs to be sold and the latest new fangled hyped anchor is the only anchor that will hold a boat today. if the old anchor is so poor in performance, does one really want to sell it to the yacht anchored next to your boat? 200 feet of chain sounds like an awful lot of chain for where you sail. It sounds like you want to remove some weight, you never mentioned dragging your current anchor.
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:21   #82

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl-T705 View Post
Why is it that an anchor that has served boaters for decades is now considered scrap and needs to be sold and the latest new fangled hyped anchor is the only anchor that will hold a boat today. if the old anchor is so poor in performance, does one really want to sell it to the yacht anchored next to your boat? 200 feet of chain sounds like an awful lot of chain for where you sail. It sounds like you want to remove some weight, you never mentioned dragging your current anchor.
Good question! I think the problem with the CQR is that it's more difficult to set. I will admit that it doesn't always happen on the first try but when it does catch we back down on it hard at 7-1 scope. If it holds doing that it's been my experience that it won't drag. The new gen anchors do appear to set very quickly & very deep with less scope.

One question: if the next gen anchors set so well with less scope why use a lot of chain? Unless you're afraid of being cut off it doesn't appear to be necessary.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:09   #83
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

A 1933 Chevy will get you to and from work just fine. You can go to the store in it, take the kids to school in it and generally do anything in it that you would do with a new car.

But it is still an 85 year old design.

There have been a bunch of advances in design that make the current batch of cars much better than that old Chevy. Some are obvious and others not....
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:08   #84
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneesprit View Post
Hi work out your maximum Depth to anchor in and x 3 simples
Maybe a little extra to be sure, not in your waters but I have 7m of chain and then a good rope to 50m
Normally would not anchor in more than 10m so I have 30m for use and a spare 20m of rope just in case

And this why it is not "simples."

The last time I anchored was in 3 feet of water. The time before in 5 feet. Even with freeboard, that that would be only 6-8 meters of rode. Yup, I'd drag if it blow, because there is neither enough for scope nor enough chain to create catenary. It has to be one or the other, but not always both.

I have never anchored in more than 5 meters of water, and I could count the number of times over 4 meters on one hand. The average is about 2.5 meters.

I currently sail a trimaran (I've had much larger boats) with more windage than the OP, but that only weighs 1600 pounds. As such my primary anchor kit weighs about 1/5 what most people carry in in chain, and my anchor 1/2 to 1/3 what has been claimed. I don't drag, but I have to anchor smart. Years of practice allow me to get by with 2-5 times less than most folks, even with my last, heavier boat.

Thus simple rules of thumb fail. Many variables.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:25   #85

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Over sizing your anchor isn't going to compensate for other shortfalls.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor